IGNORED

The Paddles

MittyOz

4 hours ago, TampaBay said:

Some of the incredible guys on here also created Nexus for Atari Flashback (totally free) which turns your Atari Flashback into a full retro emulator.  I play Sega Genesis, Sony Playstayion, Super Nintendo, MAME arcade games, Atari 8-bit computer, Atari 5200 and 7800, etc. on my Flashback.  

Scroll to the bottom of my comment in this other thread to see some cool screenshots from the setup:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/358034-collecting-for-the-2600/page/99/#comment-5454840

That's interesting. If I didn't already have a Raspberry Pi set up for retro gaming for things other than the 2600 and 7800 I might look into this. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gabe said:

That's interesting. If I didn't already have a Raspberry Pi set up for retro gaming for things other than the 2600 and 7800 I might look into this. 

Same.  I have a mini-PC running Batocera for my retro gaming. 

I just installed Nexus anyway so if I'm playing on the Flashback, I can quickly / easily play some other consoles if the mood strikes, especially the Atari 8-bit computer games.  They did an awesome job with it.

• Like 1

Hello all.

I have been looking at changing the potentiometer for new manufacturing runs of the CX30+ paddles.

A new potentiometer has been sourced and I have some samples being made to test. 

I'll have 5 pairs spare, so if anyone would like to test this revised CX30+ please post your interest in the thread below. I'll send you the sample free of charge, all I ask is that you give them a damn good play session repeatedly on a 2600+ and an original 2600 if you have one and report back your feedback.

Purpose of this test is to see if any new CX30+s develop jitter.

Thanks Ben

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all.

I have been looking at changing the potentiometer for new manufacturing runs of the CX30+ paddles.

A new potentiometer has been sourced and I have some samples being made to test. 

I'll have 5 pairs spare, so if anyone would like to test this revised CX30+ please post your interest in the thread below. I'll send you the sample free of charge, all I ask is that you give them a damn good play session repeatedly on a 2600+ and an original 2600 if you have one and report back your feedback.

Thanks Ben

@Ben from Plaion I will gladly have a go at it!  I would very much appreciate the chance to test this!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all.

Thanks Ben

Happy to trial a pair Ben

59 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Thanks Ben

I'm interested and can test on 2600, 7800, and 2600+

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all.

Thanks Ben

Hi Ben,

I'd be happy to test and compare with OEM paddles on 2600, 2600+ and MiSTer FPGA (via 2600daptor).

While you are testing paddles I wonder if you could find out why these paddle software loads on the 2600+ but the paddles do nothing. On a real 7800 both programs run ok. 

If you get them to run I would like to know what firmware this works on.

The test_paddles just shows a number of where tha paddlle 1 is.

The examples_breakout.a78 is a parody breakout tied to a known politician.

examples_breakout.a78 test_paddles.a78

The reason I am interested in this is that I am adding paddle support to my Klondike card game and it would be nice to be able to play it on the 2600+ also.

Edit: Is there any Atari 7800 game that has paddle support that works with the 2600+ ?

2 hours ago, karri said:

While you are testing paddles I wonder if you could find out why these paddle software loads on the 2600+ but the paddles do nothing. On a real 7800 both programs run ok. 

If you get them to run I would like to know what firmware this works on.

The test_paddles just shows a number of where tha paddlle 1 is.

The examples_breakout.a78 is a parody breakout tied to a known politician.

examples_breakout.a78 16.13 kB · 0 downloads test_paddles.a78 8.13 kB · 0 downloads

Paddles do not currently work with 7800 games on 2600+. However this was brought up recently as something that needs to be looked at in a future update. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Paddles do not currently work with 7800 games on 2600+. However this was brought up recently as something that needs to be looked at in a future update. 

I hope that Crazy Brix could be played with paddles in the future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Wonderful news. @gambler172 and i are putting together a small compilation cart with lots of small games we have created. The games are mainly played with a joystick. But I want to try my luck with paddle programming also.

After all, it is the easiest way to create multiplayer games.

29 minutes ago, karri said:

Wonderful news. @gambler172 and i are putting together a small compilation cart with lots of small games we have created. The games are mainly played with a joystick. But I want to try my luck with paddle programming also.

After all, it is the easiest way to create multiplayer games.

Card Games Compilation? Kind of worthy of a official release?

9 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Card Games Compilation? Kind of worthy of a official release?

It would be possible to have a set of card games on the cart. But the display gets ugly for solitaires with more than 7 columns of cards. So I skipped games like Freecell and Spider. Klondike fits the screen nicely.

A better theme would be solitaire games. Something combining small games like Klondike, mine sweeper, same game, tetris, sokoban...

My mine sweeper clone "Find a way to my heart" for example. The idea is to clear a path between the boy and the girl.

Nyttkuva2024-06-25053740.thumb.png.440b2dd2e3da91c020ac086e110a9ce6.png

And the nice thing is that small games like this work without bank switching and extra ram. Keeps the design simple. 512k rom, a single 74ls02 gate and an 8-way thumb wheel with resistors.

----------

The eJagfest release has games, hacks and text adventures on it. The cart is either a pirate or a dragon as it contains games with pirates and dragons. Mostly....

IMG_20240625_073245.thumb.jpg.2d0f7c33730b3fa746cdc24f1bb8e3eb.jpg

And the supply is kind of limited. We have time and energy to make 20-40 carts only. So drop in to eJagfest for a copy 😁

https://ejagfest.de/european-jagfest-2024/?lang=en

I have an anecdotal post about the new standalone CX30+ paddles. I just did an unboxing video on my pre-order of the paddles and CX78+ pad and Ninja Golf/Fatal Run reissues (to be edited/uploaded).

I played both Kaboom and Super Breakout and there is a noticeable improvement with the standalone CX30+ over the ones that came with the 4-in-1 - much less jitter, especially in Super Breakout, where I was able to clear an entire board in “cavity” for the first time. The standalone paddles have less resistance so they’re easier to turn, but visibly less jitter. I don’t know if there’s a difference in manufacturing or if there will be more jitter as they’re broken in more, but thought I was worth pointing out. I wasn’t sure I wanted a second set of paddles, but this feels worth it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

I have an anecdotal post about the new standalone CX30+ paddles. I just did an unboxing video on my pre-order of the paddles and CX78+ pad and Ninja Golf/Fatal Run reissues (to be edited/uploaded).

I played both Kaboom and Super Breakout and there is a noticeable improvement with the standalone CX30+ over the ones that came with the 4-in-1 - much less jitter, especially in Super Breakout, where I was able to clear an entire board in “cavity” for the first time. The standalone paddles have less resistance so they’re easier to turn, but visibly less jitter. I don’t know if there’s a difference in manufacturing or if there will be more jitter as they’re broken in more, but thought I was worth pointing out. I wasn’t sure I wanted a second set of paddles, but this feels worth it!

That's good to know that there's less jitter with the stand alone paddles.  As well as them having less resistance.  I pre-ordered the stand alone paddles.  I never had paddles before.  I look forward to trying them out.

• Like 1

It definitely appears to me that there is not a single cause to issues people have with the paddles, but more likely a combination of factors. Despite experiencing jitter I preferred using the 4-in-1 paddles to a mouse, trackpad or analogue joystick or a digital interface like shoulder buttons or a d-pad. Hopefully the standalone paddles do good numbers and it’s nice to see the possibility of new/homebrew 7800 titles exists 😁

• Like 1

I eventually got the go-ahead from Atari Support to send back my very jittery CX30+ paddles that came with a 4 in 1 cart. I now have a pair of Hyperkin Rangers and a nice used pair of OG CX30 paddles, but I'm looking forward to finding out what the replacement CX30+ paddles I get are like.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 9:02 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Here is a video of the new potentiometer for the CX30+ paddles being tested for longevity

Testing machine display, from top to bottom:

• Cumulative number of turns since machine switched on.
  • Turn number
  • Set number of turns
  • Turn speed(Number of rotations/hour)

How long do you think it will be before the CX30+ paddles with these new potentiometers actually reach the market? (apologies if this has been asked before and I've missed it)

Though I do currently have a pair of CX30+ on order from Amazon, they're actually an extra pair to use in place of the inferior ones that my Flashback 12 came with. I already have CX30+ for my 2600+, having gotten the four game paddle pack when I got the console. Because I don't really 'need' them, I'm thinking of holding off on the current order for the time being and waiting for these new ones to be released, then order a pair. 

Edited by Gabe