IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Here are the 4 games that arrived today. They all work fine.  

Bowling (Telegames) is one I always liked.  It's a classic.  Too bad there were not more bowling games on Atari.

Dragon Fire is good.  Using the gamepad makes it easier to play.  I can get farther.  

Squeeze Box is interesting.  I don't think I ever played it before until now.  

Turmoil is a fun shooter.  I'm glad it has auto fire. 

You have some good picks here. Dragonfire can get crazy fast! Turmoil as well! Squeeze Box is interesting.

I got mine about 20 years ago at my local game store. They were selling Atari cartridges for 2 dollars each. I remember digging through boxes of Atari 2600 games when a teenager said to me “ Man you’re really going back to your roots” I laughed! What’s really funny is the price some of these games are going for now!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

20240420_130355.thumb.jpg.5a764ad4c85541f511a9c0d4b1c57385.jpg

Here are the 4 games that arrived today. They all work fine.  

Bowling (Telegames) is one I always liked.  It's a classic.  Too bad there were not more bowling games on Atari.

Dragon Fire is good.  Using the gamepad makes it easier to play.  I can get farther.  

Squeeze Box is interesting.  I don't think I ever played it before until now.  

Turmoil is a fun shooter.  I'm glad it has auto fire.  

An interesting haul there. 👍🏻

I think squeeze box is particularly interesting with it's massive sprite and colours, it must have raised eyebrows back in the day. 

As you like bowling games you should check out Strike Zone Bowling. Looks amazing! I am going to try it on my Harmony cart and original hardware, I don't know if there is a cart release out there.  

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

An interesting haul there. 👍🏻

I think squeeze box is particularly interesting with it's massive sprite and colours, it must have raised eyebrows back in the day. 

As you like bowling games you should check out Strike Zone Bowling. Looks amazing! I am going to try it on my Harmony cart and original hardware, I don't know if there is a cart release out there.  

I got these games from Retro Raven.  Squeeze Box is an odd one to say the least.  I need to spend more time on it.  I've heard of Strike Zone Bowling, hopefully a physical cart does come out.  I would definitely buy it.

I looked over the game lists for 5200, 7800 and even the Jaguar.  As well as the Lynx.  It's weird that none of these consoles had a single bowling game.  Unless there's a homebrew I don't know about.  I didn't check the game lists for the Atari computers.  They may have had a bowling game or two.  I guess it's just not popular enough.  At least the 2600 had the one.  It would've been nice if there was another in the 2600 library back in the day.  I must be in the minority for bowling games.  But anyway, I hope Atari will release an updated version of bowling or perhaps a whole new game of it for 2600 & 7800.  It would look really good on the 7800 with the better graphics. 

• Like 3

On 4/21/2024 at 9:11 AM, Intellivision Master said:

I must be in the minority for bowling games.

Not at all! I always liked bowling games. I have to get the 2600 version. I’ve never had that one. The first bowling game I had was for SEGA Genesis and PC. After that I started getting them for other systems. Bowling and Golf games I like especially if you’re playing with human opponents. Good times!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Not at all! I always liked bowling games. I have to get the 2600 version. I’ve never had that one. The first bowling game I had was for SEGA Genesis and PC. After that I started getting them for other systems. Bowling and Golf games I like especially if you’re playing with human opponents. Good times!

Atari Bowling isn’t great. The perspective is top-down, but turned sideways for some reason. I don’t get the logic behind that; every other bowling game is vertical - you know like you’d see when you bowl in real life? I guess it makes the lane longer, but 🤷‍♂️

I can’t imagine it’s very pricey though!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Atari Bowling isn’t great. The perspective is top-down, but turned sideways for some reason. I don’t get the logic behind that; every other bowling game is vertical - you know like you’d see when you bowl in real life? I guess it makes the lane longer, but 🤷‍♂️

I think it's good.  The side view is odd.  But it doesn't bother me that much.  You get used to it.  There probably wasn't a way to make it look vertical due to programming or design.  That homebrew Strike Zone Bowling has the vertical view which is nice.  I really hope that game gets a physical cart.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Not at all! I always liked bowling games.

Good to know.  

12 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I have to get the 2600 version. I’ve never had that one. The first bowling game I had was for SEGA Genesis and PC. After that I started getting them for other systems. Bowling and Golf games I like especially if you’re playing with human opponents. Good times!

You would like the 2600 version.  It's very basic of course but still fun.  There are 6 game modes.  I've always just played the default mode.  It's nice when consoles have their own bowling games.  Some are better than others.  When I play bowling games, usually it's for the single player only.  As for golf, I'm not as good at it compared to bowling.  But I still enjoy it.  I don't play many golf games.  Speaking of golf though, there is Ninja Golf.  How about Ninja Bowling?  Lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Good to know.  

You would like the 2600 version.  It's very basic of course but still fun.  There are 6 game modes.  I've always just played the default mode.  It's nice when consoles have their own bowling games.  Some are better than others.  When I play bowling games, usually it's for the single player only.  As for golf, I'm not as good at it compared to bowling.  But I still enjoy it.  I don't play many golf games.  Speaking of golf though, there is Ninja Golf.  How about Ninja Bowling?  Lol.

I think the 2600 Bowling is great too.  I play it all the time.  It's funny, I never noticed the odd sideways perspective until you all just mentioned it.  It's sideways, top down, but the player is displayed "normally".  Technically if you were to look at it, the player would be laying down on the floor on his left side while rolling the ball.  😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TampaBay said:

I think the 2600 Bowling is great too.  I play it all the time.  It's funny, I never noticed the odd sideways perspective until you all just mentioned it.  It's sideways, top down, but the player is displayed "normally".  Technically if you were to look at it, the player would be laying down on the floor on his left side while rolling the ball.  😀

I always liked that game and never new I actually own an NTSC cart... it worked so well on my PAL machine.

Recently I put it in my 2600+ and the experimental debug load prints 60 fps😅

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I always liked that game and never new I actually own an NTSC cart... it worked so well on my PAL machine.

Recently I put it in my 2600+ and the experimental debug load prints 60 fps😅

That is like finding treasure!

Or maybe alchemy, turning a turd (PAL copy) into gold (NTSC copy)! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alex_813 said:

Got these in the mail today from @bent_pin

20240422_223505.jpg

Marauder, one of my favourites and better than Berzerk.

Pigs in Space, some of the best animation on the console, you also get to chop things as Miss Piggy, Hi-Ya!

China syndrome, a unique game.

Kool Air Man, a quirky game. 

A nice selection there. 👍🏻

• Like 3

I was looking at this thread because I was at a local flea market the other day, and there happens to be a stall there that sells retro games.  I don't currently have a 2600+ (I use Batocera on a mini-PC), but this flea market stall had hundreds of loose 2600 cartridges, so I'm seriously thinking about picking up a 2600+ just so I can grab a bunch of those cartridges and see if I can find any hidden gems.  I'm going back to the flea market this weekend so I can take a better look at what they have.  They were stacked up in crates so I could only see the top layer.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TampaBay said:

I was looking at this thread because I was at a local flea market the other day, and there happens to be a stall there that sells retro games.  I don't currently have a 2600+ (I use Batocera on a mini-PC), but this flea market stall had hundreds of loose 2600 cartridges, so I'm seriously thinking about picking up a 2600+ just so I can grab a bunch of those cartridges and see if I can find any hidden gems.  I'm going back to the flea market this weekend so I can take a better look at what they have.  They were stacked up in crates so I could only see the top layer.

Is it the one on Race Track? I've  been through those crates.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

Is it the one on Race Track? I've  been through those crates.

Yes!  Is it garbage?  It saw a lot of "Combat" cartridges, so I didn't get my hopes up.  😀😀  But man did they have a lot of cartridges when I was there.  I figured if I did get a 2600+, at least those crates should provide all the basic classics.

23 minutes ago, TampaBay said:

Yes!  Is it garbage?  It saw a lot of "Combat" cartridges, so I didn't get my hopes up.  😀😀  But man did they have a lot of cartridges when I was there.  I figured if I did get a 2600+, at least those crates should provide all the basic classics.

A lot of the usual common games there. If you're starting fresh, there will be plenty to get. I bought a bunch if titles I didn't already have.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

A lot of the usual common games there. If you're starting fresh, there will be plenty to get. I bought a bunch if titles I didn't already have.

OK cool.  Yeah I don't have a single cartridge right now.  Not one.  So I'm sure I'll be able to put together a decent "starter pack".  😀

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 9:32 AM, scifidude79 said:

Nice! That definitely looks like it would be fun.

What I'm most excited for with the 2600+ is the ability to play 7800 cartridges. Aside from emulation, I probably haven't played anything 7800 in at least 25 years. My family had the 5200 and the 7800, but the consoles bit the dust ages ago and I think the cartridges were probably disposed of at some point. These days, that sort of thing makes me sad, but back then it was probably a "cleaning out the house" kind of situation that I didn't think twice about. After all, who knew that Atari was going to release a new 2600 that plays both 2600 and 7800 games in 2023? I sure didn't.

Anyway, my first acquisition (more are on the way) since getting my 2600+ is a new in box copy of Tower Toppler:

20231207_161343.thumb.jpg.decca087ea227ecea625b58673f60c49.jpg20231207_161605.thumb.jpg.affdc651129c5a3a4952f618ec9e2ca3.jpg

This was a lucky EBay find. This beauty was only $17.85 plus $6.15 shipping (USD.) I'm not an "in box" collector, I just buy cartridges that I like, but this was too good to pass up. The box is in very good shape, especially for being about 35 years old. I carefully cut the cellophane wrap so that I could open the box and get my cartridge and assorted goodies out. And, aside from looking good, Tower Toppler plays great on the 2600+. Luckily, it's not a game that requires 2 buttons, so it works great with the included CX40+ joystick. This brings back some happy childhood memories. 😁

Oh man, I hope Atari rereleases this. I'm only collecting new carts as I'm too poor to buy boxed games and I'm super anal when it comes to condition. LOL. I played the C64 version as a kid - Nebulus. Great game!

11 hours ago, Alex_813 said:

I forgot to ask, I'm not sure if it was a while ago that you've been, but do you remember if they said the games were tested / working, or if they have an Atari set up to test? 

They did have old school Nintendo's set up to test Nintendo cartridges. 

I'm just asking because if they don't have an Atari 2600, I may pick up a 2600+ and just bring it over there with the portable gaming setup I have (it's a battery pack that can power both the console and a 15" portable monitor I have).   This way I can test cartridges on the spot.  Though if they need a cleaning, that's a whole other story.

-----

For those with a 2600+, I assume the power requirements are similar to a Flashback, I'll have to check.  If it is, and you're ever interested in getting it portable, it's pretty awesome to be able to bring it anywhere and not worry about a power outlet.  I can use the setup below for my Flashback 9 running Nexus so I can play all Atari consoles and Atari 8-bit computers, arcade games, Sega consoles, Sony Playstation, etc. on my Flashback.  The guys on Atari Age (that's you @rocketfan ! ) who put this together have done some incredible work with the Flashback!  (Some photos below, I know not directly related to the 2600+, but I have to give these guys credit for putting this together).  Sorry for getting off-topic a bit, but I wanted to mention it in case any of you have an Flashback laying around and weren't aware it was capable of all this.

Atari Consoles and 8-bit computers you can play:

3.thumb.jpg.8715bcb315d9cd1e30410004ebebca70.jpg

Bruce Lee for Atari 800:

4.thumb.jpg.77201720e74f699019c4ffbf6bb7dcc7.jpg

Space Harrier II on Sega Genesis:

5.thumb.jpg.1a6ee65f522546efbab12dd6020fbc2d.jpg

Gran Turismo on Sony Playstation:

6.thumb.jpg.016bbd6560e4c827ad7618df7da1f118.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.c3c6765a80f0ceff4f272617d60f9e8f.jpg

Jungle Hunt on Arcade:

8.thumb.jpg.7b50334a353bc015dc9dc91a011bb340.jpg

Gauntlet on Arcade: