IGNORED

When will there be a scheduled firmware update for the 2600+?

swlovinist

16 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Ah I hadn’t gotten to the point of actually trying to buy one. Very odd that “Atari SA” doesn’t sell anything direct in Europe - is HQ in Sunnyvale again?

I wrote to Atari over a week ago and asked if they had any plans for European distribution. I got a "we got your email" message back and then...absolutely nothing. Seems ridiculous to sell you a machine that plays the games that are are currently selling, and then refuse to sell you those games. Surely doing a deal where they sell a number of carts like they did with Mr Run and Jump and Bezerk through Amazon wouldn't be too difficult to sort out?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Giles N said:

@Ben from Plaion

Do you have plans for how to inforns users when, how and where system-updates will occur/be done…?

I’d guess Atari official would provide the most obvious links and information, but what about more casual users who may just get their Atari-interest reboosted and wants to get a bigger collection of 2600 and 7800 games?

Yes, an update firstly here in a pinned thread on AA. It will be classified as beta.

We are so close, I thought I had the files somewhat gold this morning, but couple of bits didn't work out.

I don't have a date but updated files are being exchanged even tonight. I want it out now, but I don't want to be too hasty and make a fool out of myself and by extension Atari.

• Like 16

39 minutes ago, GRooBY said:

Oh i would absolutely love it if they did start worldwide releases.

I have original A2600 and now I got A2600+, I'm absolutely delighted with it and in my personal humble opinion, this device is absolutely amazing! I don't care (or understand why?) some people want micro sd in it, I think it would ruin this whole project if I'm being honest. I read your article /interview with you in Retro Gamer and I think people should read it too! At least these people who miss the concept of this "timeless machine" hehe... I had similar views as yours even before I read it... (BTW I'm not getting paid by anyone too write this about RG)

Im gutted that I can't get/order Save Mary though cause it was already sold out! Especially when I got taster of it on Anniversary edition.

Anyways, great job with the machine and waiting for an update for it :) A2600+ rules! Love the box the promo version was released (1st prize I  the other thread!) reminded me of old days and our 130XE box hehe magic!

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

It will be classified as beta.

We are so close, I thought I had the files somewhat gold this morning, but couple of bits didn't work out.

Good to hear you’re getting close.

Will it be a 2600-line in the first place, or will the beta-version also expand number of playable 7800 titles?

17 minutes ago, SparkleFork said:

I wrote to Atari over a week ago and asked if they had any plans for European distribution. I got a "we got your email" message back and then...absolutely nothing. Seems ridiculous to sell you a machine that plays the games that are are currently selling, and then refuse to sell you those games. Surely doing a deal where they sell a number of carts like they did with Mr Run and Jump and Bezerk through Amazon wouldn't be too difficult to sort out?

I guess it all depends on how many they have. I got the impression it was limited to stock on hand?

I’d love to see some of the arcade mods that never got a proper release like Pac-Man Plus which has quite an amazing 2600 version I’ve only played on my Flashback handheld, but I know rights issues won’t allow that…

Edited by Sean_1970

14 minutes ago, SparkleFork said:

CS should write back of course.

But from my perspective being in videogame distribution for nearly 20 years, actually it's a wholly understandable situation. Peculiar to the casual observer though for sure. 

Plus think about it Atari was pretty wild till Wade turned up. It takes time.

17 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Good to hear you’re getting close.

Will it be a 2600-line in the first place, or will the beta-version also expand number of playable 7800 titles?

I wrote a list on the main thread a while back with what was being done. We stuck to that.

Dr Karnov has been posting little bits of his tests with builds he's been getting. It's all just coming together now, particularly 7800 emulation and cartridge compatibility.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes, an update firstly here in a pinned thread on AA. It will be classified as beta.

I don't have a date but updated files are being exchanged even tonight. I want it out now, but I don't want to be too hasty and make a fool out of myself and by extension Atari.

Best to be cautious and correct than expedient and error prone :)

Truly thanks for all you're doing!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Yay!!

Sounds very good!! 😁

Yeah I'm also a bit bummed out tonight cause 1080p looks frickin great, but I'm seeing ghosts go missing for a split second in Ms Pacman and Dr Karnov thinks some odd sprites are going missing on a game he's tested. It's really going to suck to ask to roll it back to 720p

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

It's really going to suck to ask to roll it back to 720p

Can see that one. 

Well, I guess we who frequent AA will get to know when the beta-version is ready.

But good to see that things are being worked on and errors tracked/traced and weeded out.

👍🏻

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I want it out now, but I don't want to be too hasty and make a fool out of myself and by extension Atari.

We all owe you the accolade and thanks- that you are doing a better job making sure Atari customers are being heard, problems acknowledged and worked on than many at Atari themselves.

For as many improvements have been made....a lot of dumb mistakes are still happening- and worse- the customers get no response- much less a resolution- when shit goes wrong.  Sad.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

And that has in a first step changed with launch of the 2600+, accessories, Berzerk and Mr Run and Jump being available in Europe, Canada, Australia/NZ.

I would not be surprised if more physical products released by Atari find their way to these markets. 

Being able to get stuff within EU is so much easier and cheaper than going through the customs procedures, taxes etc. Earlier I tried to do the paperwork for importing stuff from the US myself. But today declaring imports is so tedious that I rather pay DHL to do it. So please have the best games available through some outlets in the EU.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, karri said:

Being able to get stuff within EU is so much easier and cheaper than going through the customs procedures, taxes etc. Earlier I tried to do the paperwork for importing stuff from the US myself. But today declaring imports is so tedious that I rather pay DHL to do it. So please have the best games available through some outlets in the EU.

I was quite happy to see that all the 2600+ launch stuff was available for pre-order from Amazon UK, so naturally put mine in after I got the email! One of few times where being on the Atari mailing list hasn’t been a tantalising letdown 😅

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

I was quite happy to see that all the 2600+ launch stuff was available for pre-order from Amazon UK, so naturally put mine in after I got the email! One of few times where being on the Atari mailing list hasn’t been a tantalising letdown 😅

Yes! That and their insta posts showing you all the sparkly new stuff that they won't sell you. I'm really counting our blessings that we got the 2600+ at all.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:15 AM, Sean_1970 said:

Yes this is how I ordered it too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinballs said:

Yes this is how I ordered it too.

Me too. As soon as I saw it was gonna b avifor pre-order on Amazon I bought all the new stuff, the console, an extra stick, the paddle pack and the two games. Im hoping it's sold well here and it encourages more releases, and via Amazon.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Me too. As soon as I saw it was gonna b avifor pre-order on Amazon I bought all the new stuff, the console, an extra stick, the paddle pack and the two games. Im hoping it's sold well here and it encourages more releases, and via Amazon.  

They've said more releases for the 2600+ will be coming in 2024, so that's something to look forward to.

Buy some brand new carts and some really old carts too!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

They've said more releases for the 2600+ will be coming in 2024, so that's something to look forward to.

Buy some brand new carts and some really old carts too!

I'm gonna try and pause on the old overpriced carts now. 🤣 Although I have 99% of what I want anyway. 🤷🏻🤦🏻🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I told myself I was going to have a short break from ordering carts but I ordered another 5 today!

Ah mate, its addictive isn't it! Picking up games you've always wanted, games that are new to you, it's exciting! I'm not going to work out how much I've spent on old carts. I've just bought such a huge number of them! I should count them over Christmas, but I might be semi disgusted with myself. 🤦🏻🤣

• Like 4