IGNORED

THE BIG CHRISTMAS 2600+ GIVEAWAY COMPETITION!

Ben from Plaion

19 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Congrats to the winners!

Since, that's done, another suggestion...

Probably came up somewhere in 18 pages, but... SwordQuest box set (4 games), complete with comics, instruction guides and some tiny little plastic replica treasures 🤪

I kind of dismiss this kind of suggestion because of the costs of all the parts, but I been thinking that I may have this all the wrong way around because you cant freely download the physical parts.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

@RickR has Mr Run and Jump already so he kindly has let it go to someone else.

And the winner is...

imagewinner mrraj.jpg

Thanks so much!  I'm happy to have it go to someone else, but I really do appreciate the contest and the conversation.  Happy holidays to all! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

It's such a cool thing. I'll draw up a p&l forecast tomorrow and share it.

Ball Park figures

Start up costs

$10k CAD design

$70k tooling

Per unit costs

$20 COGS inc all regulatory compliance 

$3 Shipping 

$17 Tax

$45 Other costs 

$15 Profit

Sales forecast

1000 units at $100 would be a $65,000USD loss

Break even would be around 6000 units. I dont think its viable to think we would sell more then 1000 units. No way anyone in charge would greenlight a project like this.

Could always go down the route of 3D printing, but its too amateurish for me 

And this is the reality of making things in 2023

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

And this is the reality of making things in 2023

I mean, in all fairness, it's really not worth the money to spend so much on such a niche item. The 2600+ is already relatively niche (at least in its current state) so you're selling to a niche market of a niche market...

It'd be a cool little retro throwback, but it basically serves no purpose outside of aesthetics. If you have a TV stand and/or a cardboard box for games, you basically have everything this is. And I'd imagine that's also why the original sold so few units, lol.

On 12/15/2023 at 3:25 AM, karri said:

There is a lot of user created heroquest adventures and a lovely PC version as well. I have been tinkering with the idea for some time. In the Amiga version the magical music track and the beautiful graphics create the atmosphere.

The game is turn based for up to 4 players so a single controller is ok.

When I checked the licenses years ago they allowed fans to make games based on heroquest but not with the same character names or graphics. The fan version by Gerwin Broers seems to be gone. I actually have a Raspberry Pi zero version of it that I made for Ropecon.

ropecon1.thumb.jpg.8d1e4fb9697fc5b977a34316a086a2ae.jpg

HQ.thumb.jpg.055ccdfb6409ca0db5ddf42523e3bdd0.jpg

In this game I used light sensitive pegs so you could play it on a TV screen lying down on a table. Like a real board game!

This is really great info thank you so much.  I play the Amiga version, and tabletop version. I also play Dark Quest which shares alot of the same themes and mechanics, on steam and switch.  If any homebrew for the Atari comes along that would be a great addition too. Your digital board is really neat, what are the pieces exactly? Would love more info on this, so I could try to replicate.

14 minutes ago, beatles2001 said:

Your digital board is really neat, what are the pieces exactly? Would love more info on this, so I could try to replicate.

The "digital board" was just an ordinary TV. The pegs were 3D printed with a small hearing aid battery and a chip that turned light intensity into frequency. As a peg transmitter I had an IR led. But at the day of the show one of my pegs burned so I had to improvise and soldered two wires instead of the IR to one peg. And also used just a single peg for all player movement instead of 4 pegs as I had planned.

The TV emitted black squares to see if the peg moved. So when you lifted the peg the Pi Zero could sense it. Then it also knew how many steps you could move so it scanned to possible destinations until it found your peg again.

I also had a DMX hat for controlling the ambient light to match was happened in the game. And background music to match the actions.

Unfortunately I did not get a small room to set the mood so the ambient surrounding was not so great.

By the way. The 32 inch TV also broke after the week-end. And my wife said that if I break our TV with my stupid hobbies we are not getting a new one. ;) 

33 minutes ago, Warboss Gegguz said:

I mean, in all fairness, it's really not worth the money to spend so much on such a niche item. The 2600+ is already relatively niche (at least in its current state) so you're selling to a niche market of a niche market...

It'd be a cool little retro throwback, but it basically serves no purpose outside of aesthetics. If you have a TV stand and/or a cardboard box for games, you basically have everything this is. And I'd imagine that's also why the original sold so few units, lol.

Exactly. Making a hit product is hard, because if it was easy everyone would do it.

• Haha 1