IGNORED

THE BIG CHRISTMAS 2600+ GIVEAWAY COMPETITION!

Ben from Plaion

On 1/14/2024 at 6:34 AM, bent_pin said:

What does it do with them?

I wonder what build it has on it, I did try a 7800 game in it and it booted, might of been the build that I tried that reads the first 2k of the cart, figures out what it is then LOADS A SAVED ROM from the flash memory. I did write about this scandalous finding a few months ago, clearly that method was ditched asap!

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I wonder what build it has on it, I did try a 7800 game in it and it booted, might of been the build that I tried that reads the first 2k of the cart, figures out what it is then LOADS A SAVED ROM from the flash memory. I did write about this scandalous finding a few months ago, clearly that method was ditched asap!

Oh My God Wow GIF by PermissionIO

ROM loading firmware 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

Oh My God Wow GIF by PermissionIO

ROM loading firmware 

you know how I found it.....put in a random 7800 game, can't remember what it was all of a sudden Ace of Aces popped up on screen. I thought what the hell, in realtime my brain was ticking through how this could even happen, perhaps there was a PCB in a wrong cart but nah in 30 odd years I never seen something like that, bit of back and forth with the factory crew and turned out path of least resistance was to just have every 7800 game pre-loaded in flash. I said so what we have Nintendo IP sitting there in the depths of the flash chip ready to boot? answer came back yeah. I was like abort abort abort. It caused a sizable delay to development to rework the software to read and dump the entire 7800 cart and play it. I often think about how things would of turned out if I didnt spot that one cart. Can you imagine the scandal?

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I said so what we have Nintendo IP sitting there in the depths of the flash chip ready to boot? answer came back yeah. I was like abort abort abort. It caused a sizable delay to development to rework the software to read and dump the entire 7800 cart and play it. I often think about how things would of turned out if I didnt spot that one cart. Can you imagine the scandal?

Indeed, you don't want the Mario brothers coming after you.

mario-luigi.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1