IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

Amongst other carts which came today, from Germany and Australia, was this '2 Pak Special'.

Now I know, not very exciting on the surface. I actually bought it as I was curious how it would work...

When it loads you get a menu where you select your game. The most interesting thing is this, it's behaviour is completely different to any other cart I've tried. Play either game and when you pull the cart out it doesn't send you back to the console menu, the game remains intact.

The two games are both by Activision, Dolphin and Oink! (I assume called a different name elsewhere).

17048343568986428168689803775281.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

Room of Doom is my first CommaVid cart. It's length is quite surprising. Compared here to a Tigervision cart. I wondered why did it need to be so big? Then I realised, it's all those game variations that they packed in there! 

IMG_20240109_221131.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Room of Doom is my first CommaVid cart. It's length is quite surprising. Compared here to a Tigervision cart. I wondered why did it need to be so big? Then I realised, it's all those game variations that they packed in there! 

IMG_20240109_221131.jpg

How are you finding Room of Doom so far?

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Amongst other carts which came today, from Germany and Australia, was this '2 Pak Special'.

Now I know, not very exciting on the surface. I actually bought it as I was curious how it would work...

When it loads you get a menu where you select your game. The most interesting thing is this, it's behaviour is completely different to any other cart I've tried. Play either game and when you pull the cart out it doesn't send you back to the console menu, the game remains intact.

The two games are both by Activision, Dolphin and Oink! (I assume called a different name elsewhere).

Is the UI where you select the game same as HES carts?

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

What's the most expensive game everybody has bought to play on the atari 2600+? Mine is Dragonfire PAL £80

Was that Dragonfire boxed?

My most expensive have been £40 for Midnight Mutants (7800) and £30 for Marauder (2600). Both cart only 

Edited by Dr Karnov

37 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Is the UI where you select the game same as HES carts?

I've not seen any other multi carts (well, other than the new ones with dip switches). 

I guess this is a HES one. 

Does the 32 in 1 cart work on the Plus? 

IMG_20240109_233206.jpg

IMG_20240109_233213.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I've not seen any other multi carts (well, other than the new ones with dip switches). 

I guess this is a HES one. 

Does the 32 in 1 cart work on the Plus? 

So I’ve just got round to having a quick go with the 32 in 1 cart and it does work. I unplugged the cart for a couple of seconds each time to get to the next game. 

Some games crashed (probably just down to being old and needing more cleaning) but most worked (up to when I gave up). Here you can see the rabbit hack of Freeway running on my 2600+. Apologies for the slightly weird angle I took the pic at! 

IMG_0256.jpeg

Edited by Slider271
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

Got this (finally) from the States, one I didn’t know existed. Plays much better than I would have thought, so good job Sega!

IMG_0313.jpeg

Nice! It's one of my favorites. I have a loose cart, though, not a CIB copy like yours.

4 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Nice.  I've ordered a loose one on the way.  Glad to hear it's not a stinker!

It's lots of fun. You fly around and shoot down Klingon Battlecruisers. The graphic for the Klingon ships when you have them on your screen is nice and the sound design is great.

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Size of that Sega logo

They wanted to make sure there was no mistake who made it.

42 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Do you think whoever designed the box art for Outlaw was a Clint Eastwood fan?

the-outlaw-josey-wales-clint-eastwood-movie-poster-thomas-pollart.jpg

I mean, who isn't? I geeked out the other day seeing the added some of his Westerns to Netflix in the States. I think that's one of them. 😎 I know High Plains Drifter is on there for sure, which is great because I haven't seen it in years.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I would like Spy Hunter and Beam Rider, they always seem two of the pricier games. I should just bite the bullet I guess. I also bought HERO, just the cart alone was £30, forgot that one. 🤣

Oh no doubt I’ll have to eventually for Polaris and Beamrider - I mean I’m thinking of getting a PAL Chibi-Robo for GameCube again and that’s going to be close to £200 - wish I had just hung on to the damn thing when I had bought it in the early 2000s for fifty 🙄😅

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

This one works fine on my plus but another with planet patrol fails even after cleaning.

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

This one works fine on my plus but another with planet patrol fails even after cleaning.

I got a PAL cart of Planet Patrol that would not ever load despite multiple times being cleaned, then I got another copy (also PAL) that works perfectly.

Is it possible that there are multiple revisions and one isn't currently compatible? Or maybe I just got a duff cart

10 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Do you think whoever designed the box art for Outlaw was a Clint Eastwood fan?

the-outlaw-josey-wales-clint-eastwood-movie-poster-thomas-pollart.jpg

No doubt about it. The artwork was more than “inspired” by the classic Western The Outlaw Josey Wales. I was hoping to get more info from the Art Of Atari book, but this is all they have. The artist is John Enright. He’s also credited for the cover art of Flag Capture, Slot Racers and Slot Machine.

IMG_3085.jpeg

IMG_3089.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

I got a PAL cart of Planet Patrol that would not ever load despite multiple times being cleaned, then I got another copy (also PAL) that works perfectly.

Is it possible that there are multiple revisions and one isn't currently compatible? Or maybe I just got a duff cart

Well, mine is on a 2 Pak and even the menu crashes. I have your 2 Pak too and that works on 2600+ but not this one.

20240110_124021.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Ah good to know as I was thinking of taking a look at some others. 

Well, it could be bad luck that the menu doesn't load but even then it is not sure if Planet Patrol works... but I remember both games being average anyway.

18 hours ago, shane857 said:

What's the most expensive game everybody has bought to play on the atari 2600+? Mine is Dragonfire PAL £80

For me it's the Raptor homebrew.  It's $35 plus the box makes it $50.  So far, that's the highest amount I paid on a 2600 game.  But I do have Robotron 2084 coming for the 7800.  That was $30 loose.  Most 7800 games are higher but it is what it is.  

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

For me it's the Raptor homebrew.  It's $35 plus the box makes it $50.  So far, that's the highest amount I paid on a 2600 game.  But I do have Robotron 2084 coming for the 7800.  That was $30 loose.  Most 7800 games are higher but it is what it is.  

I've got Robotron 2084 on the way also. Are you planning to twin stick it?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, shane857 said:

Since getting my 2600+ in November I've picked up quite a number of old carts, mostly through eBay.  Most of them have been only a few bucks - the problem is shipping, so I restrict my purchases to within Canada and avoid the US auctions.  The one exception was a 7800 Ms Pacman - only $15 buy-it-now but shipping from the States was $25.  I looked at the prices for completed auctions and figured $40 wasn't too bad for this game.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've got Robotron 2084 on the way also. Are you planning to twin stick it?

Yes.  I ordered a custom twin stick controller from BD Retro Mods.  It's called the Atari Dual Stick Controller.  A bit pricey but I believe it's worth it.  He has a website and an Etsy shop too.  You can also do email as well.  That's how I ordered it.

Here's the link to the website.  https://www.bdretromods.com/

From the website you can click his email link and access his Etsy shop.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, LS650 said:

Since getting my 2600+ in November I've picked up quite a number of old carts, mostly through eBay.  Most of them have been only a few bucks - the problem is shipping, so I restrict my purchases to within Canada and avoid the US auctions.  The one exception was a 7800 Ms Pacman - only $15 buy-it-now but shipping from the States was $25.  I looked at the prices for completed auctions and figured $40 wasn't too bad for this game.

You were smart to jump on that listing for Ms. Pac-Man. I've seen a lot of 7800 carts going for around the $35 to $40 buy it now range, and some of them had shipping. That plus what you saw in completed auctions tells me you got a decent deal, even with shipping.

• Like 1