IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

When I was in the archive testing carts for the 2600+ I came accross personal notes like this on carts and packaging. I recall one with a 'this belongs to' scribble that detailed a guy in Germany with his address and phone number... so I rang it, it was dead but how cool would of been to talk to the guy and tell him we were in possesion of his old cart...I would of sent it back to him for the nostalgia rush he would of received.

Totally.  If these people somehow just showed up after 40 years I'd probably just give it to them if they were into reconnecting with Atari 2600, the full circle after all this time would be so cool.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Nah man, that's for the Japanese version of the console 🤪

Funnily enough, after seeing that, I actually did buy a Famicom copy of Mario Bros from a Japanese seller. But, that listing was only $1 with $7 economy shipping from Japan. But, instead of trying to put that in my 2600+, I think I'll either play it on my Retron 5 or on a NES clone with a Famicom adapter. 😉

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Very nice selection🤙

Never seen the top right but have got the other 3 carts and started to play Marauder 🕹

20231214_152758.jpg

20231214_152727.jpg

I only got Marauder yesterday but really enjoying it so far. Like a faster, more exciting version of Berzerk.

I think Sancho Presents Nightmare was only ever released as a PAL cart, and I'm still kinda struggling with the strange mechanics but it's pretty interesting.

Have you got any suggestions for other, lesser known 2600 games?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

I only got Marauder yesterday but really enjoying it so far. Like a faster, more exciting version of Berzerk.

I think Sancho Presents Nightmare was only ever released as a PAL cart, and I'm still kinda struggling with the strange mechanics but it's pretty interesting.

Have you got any suggestions for other, lesser known 2600 games?

Less known and currently in my box for playing are Worm War I and Encounter AT L-5 Both are NTSC only 🤙

20231214_171529.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Marauder is one of the 'hidden gems' of the 2600 library for sure. Great game. In fact, Tigervision games in general are mostly solid. I also like Threshold, Polaris, Jawbreaker and Espial (if you can find them, though Jawbreaker is fairly easy to track down). River Patrol is fun as well but ... good luck getting that one for less than the price of a PS5.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

Marauder is one of the 'hidden gems' of the 2600 library for sure. Great game. In fact, Tigervision games in general are mostly solid. I also like Threshold, Polaris, Jawbreaker and Espial (if you can find them, though Jawbreaker is fairly easy to track down). River Patrol is fun as well but ... good luck getting that one for less than the price of a PS5.

Thanks for the recommendations!!

40 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Thanks for the recommendations!!

Anytime.

In fact, let me list a few more for all of you just getting back into the hobby. Almost all of these are reasonably affordable, and frequently don't make the 'best of' lists due to relative obscurity:

• Solaris (Atari): One of the best games on the system and tour-de-force of what a talented programmer could do.
  • Radar Lock (Atari): Afterburner for the 2600 using the Solaris engine.
  • Phoenix (Atari): Best shooter on the system
  • Gravitar (Atari, red label variant): An all time great. It's incredibly tough to master too
  • Moonsweeper (Imagic): My personal fav imagic game. Rescue miners off moons, has space and land segments and a ton of variety
  • Solar Storm (Imagic): It's what happens when Kaboom! and Galaxian have a kid.
  • Riddle of the Sphynx (Imagic): The adventure style game everyone forgets to mention.
  • Room of Doom (Commavid): This one's a bit pricier, but a fantastic take on Berzerk
  • Wizard of Wor (CBS): Solid port of the arcade
  • Omega Race (CBS): Same
  • Pressure Cooker (Activision): Amazing, frantic, game that's got that 'one more game' quality. Sorta Burgertime meets Diner Dash
  • Spider Fighter (Activision): Another great shooter, with zero flicker
  • Private Eye (Activision): Think Pitfall crossed with Adventure, with a challenging time limit. Great game, nobody ever mentions it
  • Spacemaster X-7 (Fox): Frantic, shooter where you have to avoid shields and destroy the core. Sort of like Star Castle
  • Reactor (Parker Bros): As long as you read the manual so you know what's up, this is a super fun game
  • GI Joe (Parker Bros): Great co op or head to head action that everyone forgets had both co op and VS multiplayer
  • Tron Deadly Disks (M-Network): Arguably better than the Intellivision original due to speed
  • Frankenstein's Monster (Data Age): Data age games usually kinda suck, but not this one, it's great.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Think I'm only missing one now, but the first two here at least are good:

20231213_213310-Copy.thumb.jpg.ececc50d1513af6d1d72a98dfb6d2f76.jpg

Your missing "Star Wars the Arcade Game", which, all things considered, was an excellent arcade port to the 2600, when you take into account the 2600's limitations, combined with the technological marvel (at the time) of the actual arcade game.

Empire Strikes back was also fantastic, but the remaining 2 games kinda sucked. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

Anytime.

In fact, let me list a few more for all of you just getting back into the hobby. Almost all of these are reasonably affordable, and frequently don't make the 'best of' lists due to relative obscurity:

• Solaris (Atari): One of the best games on the system and tour-de-force of what a talented programmer could do.

Hey I just recently added a couple of those, and planning on finding Radar Lock.

Phoenix is often compared to Imagic's Demon Attack.  Opinions probably differ about which is "better" (both are great), but Demon Attack probably sold more.

20231214_144645-Copy.thumb.jpg.a9c93958e15d5ce8c6b5a7df73305e41.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flyindrew said:

Your missing "Star Wars the Arcade Game", which, all things considered, was an excellent arcade port to the 2600, when you take into account the 2600's limitations, combined with the technological marvel (at the time) of the actual arcade game.

Empire Strikes back was also fantastic, but the remaining 2 games kinda sucked. 

Some people find Death Star Battle kinda fun, but Jedi Arena definitely sucks, lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

Anytime.

• Gravitar (Atari, red label variant): An all time great. It's incredibly tough to master too
  • Moonsweeper (Imagic): My personal fav imagic game. Rescue miners off moons, has space and land segments and a ton of variety
  • Solar Storm (Imagic): It's what happens when Kaboom! and Galaxian have a kid.
  • Riddle of the Sphynx (Imagic): The adventure style game everyone forgets to mention.
  • Room of Doom (Commavid): This one's a bit pricier, but a fantastic take on Berzerk
  • Wizard of Wor (CBS): Solid port of the arcade
  • Omega Race (CBS): Same
  • Pressure Cooker (Activision): Amazing, frantic, game that's got that 'one more game' quality. Sorta Burgertime meets Diner Dash
  • Spider Fighter (Activision): Another great shooter, with zero flicker
  • Private Eye (Activision): Think Pitfall crossed with Adventure, with a challenging time limit. Great game, nobody ever mentions it
  • Spacemaster X-7 (Fox): Frantic, shooter where you have to avoid shields and destroy the core. Sort of like Star Castle
  • Reactor (Parker Bros): As long as you read the manual so you know what's up, this is a super fun game
  • GI Joe (Parker Bros): Great co op or head to head action that everyone forgets had both co op and VS multiplayer
  • Tron Deadly Disks (M-Network): Arguably better than the Intellivision original due to speed
  • Frankenstein's Monster (Data Age): Data age games usually kinda suck, but not this one, it's great.

This guy knows 2600

When I was testing carts, I loved coming accross Imagic games, the quality of gameplay - theres not a dud in there, the foil packaging, the quality of the carts - iirc Imagic carts have the best PCBs with bevelled edges amd quality construction.

I distictly remember saying I want to re-issue all of these for 2600+, foil packaging in all - a man can dream right?

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This guy knows 2600

When I was testing carts, I loved coming accross Imagic games, the quality of gameplay - theres not a dud in there, the foil packaging, the quality of the carts - iirc Imagic carts have the best PCBs with bevelled edges amd quality construction.

I distictly remember saying I want to re-issue all of these for 2600+, foil packaging in all - a man can dream right?

Activision owns the Imagic games, and there's been a license in place for several Activision and Imagic 2600 games on the AtGames Flashback units in recent years.  There was even an Atari Flashback 8 Activision Edition a few years ago.  It seems like something could be done, if the financials would work.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This guy knows 2600

Yeah everyone always credits Activision as having the best game library on the 2600 (and they ARE great) but my money is, and always was back in the day, on Imagic. About half the Activision titles fall under the 'looks great, plays ok' umbrella (Barnstorming, Boxing, Fishing Derby, etc), whereas Imagic only really has one meh game: Fire Fighter. Everything else is good to great. Even their rare games (unlike everyone else) are actually excellent. Subterranea and Laser Gates are in my top 20 VCS games.

You can't go wrong with imagic. And with the rarest game, Subterranea, only being an R6 or so, it's quite doable, even now, to collect a full set of these.

I'd love to see them re released for sure. Sadly, I think Activision has the rights to them now so ... dream it is lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Hey I just recently added a couple of those, and planning on finding Radar Lock.

Phoenix is often compared to Imagic's Demon Attack.  Opinions probably differ about which is "better" (both are great), but Demon Attack probably sold more.

20231214_144645-Copy.thumb.jpg.a9c93958e15d5ce8c6b5a7df73305e41.jpg

Personally I prefer Phoenix to Demon Attack

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Personally I prefer Phoenix to Demon Attack

I'd say that I probably like them both equally, more or less.   Not having played Phoenix until acquiring it in a lot of 80 cent carts from O'sheas, I have more nostalgia for Demon Attack, but they are both quality shooters.

• Like 3