IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

7 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

My (almost) full collection so far.  Hard to believe I have almost 70 carts already, and a handful more on the way.  But I did pickup a couple of larger lots.  Ima probably slow down now, but still the occasional pickup here and there.  Definitely enough to put 2600+ through its paces ;)

20231217_204738-Copy.thumb.jpg.add6261eba2c25ff0a1cdb99ea5ae0f5.jpg

You have a lot of really good games. Also, I'm totally copying the idea with the plastic container to store the cartridges. (conveniently, we sell those containers where I work) I'll bet it keeps them cleaner than the cardboard box I've been using, plus it's clear so you can see what's inside. 😎

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

You have a lot of really good games. Also, I'm totally copying the idea with the plastic container to store the cartridges. (conveniently, we sell those containers where I work) I'll bet it keeps them cleaner than the cardboard box I've been using, plus it's clear so you can see what's inside. 😎

Yeah, literally picked that up yesterday.  They were just stacking up around my console and was getting unwieldy.  And this way they'll stay clean.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:10 PM, ls650 said:

I think that Parker Brothers has some of the best 3rd party games.  I know most folks more highly of Activision, but Parker Bros did a great job with a lot of arcade conversions: Frogger, Q*bert, and Popeye are great, as well as Empire Strikes Back.  I just recently acquired Amidar, and while that's not on the same level, it's a pretty decent game.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the 2600 Frogger is superior to the arcade version.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChopperCommando said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the 2600 Frogger is superior to the arcade version.

It's a good playing version for sure.  The frog isn't very "animated" but doesn't really detract.  Like others have said, PB games are pretty solid and the PB carts I've had are good quality and trouble-free.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Clear storage containers are the way to go.  Always nice to be able to see inside while stored on the shelf.

Or, if you have the space…

Note: Prior to setting up my Atari room, I used to store my carts and controllers in stackable clear storage containers too. Happy collecting everyone.

IMG_2743.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ChopperCommando said:

I agree game play wise.  There are a couple of edge(literally) case jumps on the arcade version that should work, but don't.

2600 Frogger also largely retains the difficulty level of the arcade.

My favorite version is probably still the Sega Genesis version, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Or, if you have the space…

Note: Prior to setting up my Atari room, I used to store my carts and controllers in stackable clear storage containers too. 

IMG_2743.jpeg

That's a gorgeous setup. I like the two tall bookcases with games on them flanking the TV stand with the CRT on it. I also like how you have dust covers for all of your consoles, including the ones on the shelving unit to the left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got my security deposit back from my apartment that I vacated last month, so I put in a little order from AtariAge. I'm getting Tower of Rubble for the 2600. It was between that and Amoeba Jump, so I literally flipped a coin. Heads was Amoeba Jump, tails was Tower of Rubble, it landed on tails. (I did it NFL style, where you let it hit the ground) I also ordered Space Duel for the 7800, and the 7800 Mega Controller Adapter. All in all, with shipping it was about $90. (I didn't get the boxed versions on the games) Not bad at all.

Meanwhile, as I was coming home from work last night, a package arrived at my door from Amazon.

20231218_130408.thumb.jpg.a65855a86330d4d4c604882f9b60966d.jpg

It was a day late, which is typical for Amazon, even when it's not the holiday season, so I let them have it on the delivery feedback. (it was out for delivery yesterday but the driver apparently decided not to deliver it) But, both games arrived in immaculate shape, and of course both work beautifully on the 2600+.

By the way, if anyone had told me a year ago that in 2023 I'd be able to buy a brand new in box Atari 2600 (without selling a kidney to pay for it) and two 2023 Atari 2600 game releases, I'd have asked them to share whatever they were smoking. Man, it's a great time to be alive. 😁

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

That's a gorgeous setup. I like the two tall bookcases with games on them flanking the TV stand with the CRT on it. I also like how you have dust covers for all of your consoles, including the ones on the shelving unit to the left.

Thanks. I actually have a couple of shelves. A few older pics without the dustcovers. 

Switcher.jpg

Sears 2600s.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rodney Hester said:

You just triggered me hard.  ESB was quite good if repetitive, but I played Reactor until I had 'Atari claw' from the original stick many, MANY times.

Much later in life, I discovered it was an arcade port, but VASTLY prefer the 2600 version to the arcade (for controllability, if nothing else).

Well I’ve just done a buy it now for a copy with box and instructions because of your recovered memory 😁👍

And if anyone wants a copy of Pengo, a seller in France is offering a new, sealed copy for the low low price of £3000 - not including postage of course 😉

Edited by Sean_1970

On 12/18/2023 at 7:46 AM, ChopperCommando said:

There are several 2600 arcade ports that I enjoy more than the arcade originals. Berzerk is one, Space Invaders is another. Stargate and Phoenix are not the same, but are damn close in terms of fun. Crystal Castles is nothing like the arcade game in terms of looks, but it plays very well. Shouldn't have worked at all, but it does.

On 12/18/2023 at 10:31 AM, sramirez2008 said:

Btw, the 2600 port of Pengo is very good.

Yep, another one that gets few mentions. It's main fault is that goddamn music lol. Other than that it's solid.

• Like 2

@Brad_from_the_80s Oooh, nice. Spy Hunter, that one seems a bit hard to find or for a reasonable price.
I just got a Millipede cartridge I bought on EBay, it arrived yesterday. I had to give the contacts a cleaning before it worked, and now it seems to work good.
I really like it for a fast-paced game and am having fun with it, and though the graphics are really simplistic, it plays well and has good sound effects. I think it will be among my favs that I return to play occasionally.

I've never learned to play Bridge, but perhaps it could be one I'd be interested to get and learn. As I've matured, though I still do sometimes like playing some faster paced hand-eye-brain-coordination type game, these last several years I've also grown more of an appreciation for the more 'relaxing', or slower-paced or strategy type of games. I've got Chess and Othello that I found on Ebay, and when they arrive (hopefully soon) I look forward to giving them a play on my 2600+ console.

Another relaxing type of game I've found surprisingly fun that I've been playing often since I got it (about a week ago) is the Atari Bowling.

I starting collecting 2600 (and a couple of 7800) game cartridges (finding them mainly on EBay) a few weeks ago, just after I ordered my 2600+ console (which I ordered via Amazon and it arrived about 2 weeks ago as I make this post).

So far I have a little over 40 games. A couple seem to be non-working, despite giving them a good cleaning. Some didn't work at first, though after some cleaning and retrying inserting them, they finally work good.

Included is an image (excuse the camera flash causing a reflection), is the games (in no particular order) I'd say are my favorites so far and that I find I am replaying the most (though some of the other games I have I'll still give a play sometimes, or I need to look up some manuals for before I can better understand and dive into playing them properly):

Atari_Fav_Games_01a_.thumb.JPG.6202c473f1795e062193e3c1b37c7c20.JPG

• Dig Dug (7800 game, the rest listed will be 2600 games),
  • Berzerk,
  • Midnight Magic pinball,
  • Battle Zone,
  • Space Invaders,
  • Missile Command (included on the 10-in-1 cartridge),
  • Demon Attack,
  • Asteroids,
  • Millipede,
  • Galaxian,
  • Bowling,
  • Super Breakout (though the paddle on my Hyperkin Ranger controller I'm finding too stiff, especially when nearing either side of the playing screen. Good news is though I managed to win an auction for the new Atari Paddle Pack that comes with a 4-in-1 cart, so I'm guessing that will be much better for playing paddle games),
  • Mouse Trap,
  • Dark Chambers,
  • Enduro and
  • Pitfall!

I'm loving my Atari 2600+ gaming console. I haven't played classic Atari games for many years (other than a few I've played on my PC of an Atari game collection I got a few years ago on the Steam gaming platform), so it's a big hit of nostalgia for me. Having a physical gaming console which looks and feels like a classic 2600 console, and then to collect and use the old original Atari game cartridges, it's giving me much enjoyment. I've been more wanting to get into some retro-gaming for quite a while, and this (the 2600+ and the classic Atari games) is just the right thing for me I feel.

Cheers! :)

Edited by MysticSword
Fixed typos and sentences.
  • Like 6

55 minutes ago, Magpieboy said:

I've just started collecting games, in particular complete in box ones. My most recent purchases have been these 3. Would love all five of them, but last two are either hard to find or very expensive.

Screenshot_20231221_113054_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231221_113129_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20231221_113016_eBay.jpg

Those are gorgeous and they're truly great finds with the manuals, catalogs and comics intact. It would definitely be cool to have all of the Atari Force comics.

43 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

@Brad_from_the_80s Oooh, nice. Spy Hunter, that one seems a bit hard to find or for a reasonable price.
I just got a Millipede cartridge I bought on EBay, it arrived yesterday. I had to give the contacts a cleaning before it worked, and now it seems to work good.
I really like it for a fast-paced game and am having fun with it, and though the graphics are really simplistic, it plays well and has good sound effects. I think it will be among my favs that I return to play occasionally.

I've never learned to play Bridge, but perhaps it could be one I'd be interested to get and learn. As I've matured, though I still do sometimes like playing some faster paced hand-eye-brain-coordination type game, these last several years I've also grown more of an appreciation for the more 'relaxing', or slower-paced or strategy type of games. I've got Chess and Othello that I found on Ebay, and when they arrive (hopefully soon) I look forward to giving them a play on my 2600+ console.

Another relaxing type of game I've found surprisingly fun that I've been playing often since I got it (about a week ago) is the Atari Bowling.

I starting collecting 2600 (and a couple of 7800) game cartridges (finding them mainly on EBay) a few weeks ago, just after I ordered my 2600+ console (which I ordered via Amazon and it arrived about 2 weeks ago as I make this post).

So far I have a little over 40 games. A couple seem to be non-working, despite giving them a good cleaning. Some didn't work at first, though after some cleaning and retrying inserting them, they finally work good.

Included is an image (excuse the camera flash causing a reflection), is the games (in no particular order) I'd say are my favorites so far and that I find I am replaying the most (though some of the other games I have I'll still give a play sometimes, or I need to look up some manuals for before I can better understand and dive into playing them properly):

Atari_Fav_Games_01a_.thumb.JPG.6202c473f1795e062193e3c1b37c7c20.JPG

• Dig Dug (7800 game, the rest listed will be 2600 games),
  • Berzerk,
  • Midnight Magic pinball,
  • Battle Zone,
  • Space Invaders,
  • Missile Command (included on the 10-in-1 cartridge),
  • Demon Attack,
  • Asteroids,
  • Millipede,
  • Galaxian,
  • Bowling,
  • Super Breakout (though the paddle on my Hyperkin Ranger controller I'm finding too stiff, especially when nearing either side of the playing screen. Good news is though I managed to win an auction for the new Atari Paddle Pack that comes with a 4-in-1 cart, so I'm guessing that will be much better for playing paddle games),
  • Mouse Trap,
  • Dark Chambers,
  • Enduro and
  • Pitfall!

I'm loving my Atari 2600+ gaming console. I haven't played classic Atari games for many years (other than a few I've played on my PC of an Atari game collection I got a few years ago on the Steam gaming platform), so it's a big hit of nostalgia for me. Having a physical gaming console which looks and feels like a classic 2600 console, and then to collect and use the old original Atari game cartridges, it's giving me much enjoyment. I've been more wanting to get into some retro-gaming for quite a while, and this (the 2600+ and the classic Atari games) is just the right thing for me I feel.

Cheers! :)

Nice collection so far. Those are gorgeous. I love Dig Dug for the 7800, and you have some of my favorite 2600 games too. I agree, Atari Bowling is a great game.

• Like 2