IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

17 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

The first game I ever played (and still my favourite - I’m easily pleased)

Space Invaders! 

You can't go wrong with Space Invaders.  I like that game too.  It'd be nice to see a newer version of it on the 2600+

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That is quite the collection there.  

Mainly PAL, so based on what I’ve read on here I’ll be looking forward to the first software update

Have got a few NTSC in the collection (so Space Invaders Arcade will get a run out) but also have a box of spare carts which includes a fair few NTSC I can use for comparison

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Okay gang, am I missing any good single screen maze shooters?

IMG_20231223_230727.jpg

I have also been collecting single screen maze shooters, and I have all of these, apart from Room of Doom...

You are missing Night Stalker/Dark Cavern.

EDIT

Although it's more like Pac-Man, you can actually shoot in Alien.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Marauder is definitely #1. I love that game.

Wizard of Wor probably #2. I think I'm going to like Room of Doom quite a bit but not given it enough time yet.

How about you? Top picks?

It may change as I play them more and get into them, but right now I'd say:

1 Night Stalker/Dark Cavern (I actually have both versions, one is in the post right now!)

2 Marauder

3 Berzerk and Berzerk Enhanced

4 Wizard of Wor

5 Venture

To be fair I need to play the last two some more, but I find it hard not to play Night Stalker and Marauder, they are both so good.

I really want to get Room of Doom, but just looked again and the Fleabay prices are insane. Same goes for Alien.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

Just now, JetmanUK said:

It may change as I play them more and get into them, but right now I'd say:

1 Night Stalker/Dark Cavern (I actually have both versions, one is in the post right now!)

2 Marauder

3 Berzerk and Berzerk Enhanced

4 Wizard of Wor

5 Venture

To be fair I need to play the last two some more, but I find it hard not to play Night Stalker and Marauder, they are both so good.

I really want to get Room of Doom, but just looked again and the Fleabay prices are insane. Sane goes for Alien.

Is there any difference between Night Stalker and Dark Cavern?

Just now, Dr Karnov said:

Is there any difference between Night Stalker and Dark Cavern?

I believe that Night Stalker was it's name on Intellivision, then it was called Dark Cavern on the 2600, then later renamed back to Night Stalker with later copies. I have Night Stalker now, I bought Dark Cavern to check it out really, and also becuase I was buying other games from the seller and shipping was expensive from the USA so it was worth adding more game purchases on. It also should then be the NTSC version.

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

I believe that Night Stalker was it's name on Intellivision, then it was called Dark Cavern on the 2600, then later renamed back to Night Stalker with later copies. I have Night Stalker now, I bought Dark Cavern to check it out really, and also becuase I was buying other games from the seller and shipping was expensive from the USA so it was worth adding more game purchases on. It also should then be the NTSC version.

Can you keep us posted when you get it?

I just looked at a video of the game, and it looks right up my street so I'll be keeping an eye out 

44 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

IMG_20231223_230727.jpg

Looking at Room of Doom again, there's not really a maze included, so if a single screen shooter is what your'e after then perhaps Tron Deadly Discs would be to your liking. I can recommend that one too, it's fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

IMG_20231223_230727.jpg

Nice collection of 'maze shooters' there. I don't yet have Marauder or Room of Doom, so I'll need to keep an eye for them (and if the prices aren't too insane that is).

A game I got recently for my growing collection of 2600 games is Dark Chambers and I really like it. It's somewhat like a crude / early version of Gauntlet (which I guess the 7800 version is more closer to Gauntlet, but availability wise it seems quite limited and the couple of options I seen on Ebay, the prices were WAY too high for me).

Anyways, I find the 2600 version of Dark Chambers quite enjoyable and somewhat of more relaxed dungeon-crawler / maze-shooter.

Dark_Chambers_Cartridge_01a-.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

Nice collection of 'maze shooters' there. I don't yet have Marauder or Room of Doom, so I'll need to keep an eye for them (and if the prices aren't too insane that is).

A game I got recently for my growing collection of 2600 games is Dark Chambers and I really like it. It's somewhat like a crude / early version of Gauntlet (which I guess the 7800 version is more closer to Gauntlet, but availability wise it seems quite limited and the couple of options I seen on Ebay, the prices were WAY too high for me).

Anyways, I find the 2600 version of Dark Chambers quite enjoyable and somewhat of more relaxed dungeon-crawler / maze-shooter.

Cheers for the tip!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

I agree on this, one of my favourites. 👍🏻

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alex_813 said:

I should be getting mine on Monday, so I dug out some old boxes and started pre-testing carts on OG hardware while I wait. I have more carts stashed away as well, just need to get to retrieve them. Sadly, I leave town on Tuesday, so I will not have a lot of time to play on the Plus.

PXL_20231213_131819254.jpg

PXL_20231221_030848179.MP.jpg

That's awesome, I love that setup. Remember to have some isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs handy, because the 2600+ is finicky about clean cartridges. (most modern consoles that play old cartridges are this way)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

That's awesome, I love that setup. Remember to have some isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs handy, because the 2600+ is finicky about clean cartridges. (most modern consoles that play old cartridges are this way)

I think it's just the old carts in general. I needed to clean all of my NES and Genesis carts when I dug those systems out earlier this year. went through quite a bit of alcohol and swabs, but they all work now.

As far as my set up, thank you. Here's a wider view, plus my big boys (and a bunch of stuff in the corner that really needs to be organized):

PXL_20231222_013423332.MP.jpg

PXL_20231222_013716439.jpg

PXL_20231222_022504758.MP.jpg

• Like 5