IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

There is definitely a strong collectability component with 2600 carts that have interesting labels / shells.

I found that with the German carts I got.

I really like that the cart design can be so varied across different manufacturers.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I have never been able to figure Star Strike. The gameplay is confusing to me. One of these days I need to sit down with it and figure it out.

Same here.  To me the game is okay.  I was never much into it.  Even though I like space games.  I have the game on the INTV collection for Evercade.  

10 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

There is definitely a strong collectability component with 2600 carts that have interesting labels / shells.

I really like that the cart design can be so varied across different manufacturers.

Yeah, I really enjoy collecting for the 2600, it is unique to me, as I do not collect for any other console. The variety and it's status as an odd point in history with Sega, Nintendo, Konami, Taito games etc, and all the publishers that got involved too like 20th Century Fox, Parker Bros, Avalon Hill etc make it a real gold mine. I mostly buy to play, but I have become somewhat of a collector because of all this.

The German games and knock off games are great fun to have too, the odd ball titles, it's all so interesting and takes me back to being a kid buying budget games for my Spectrum and not knowing exactly what I am going to get, a gem, a piece of crap, an odd game with totally unique game mechanics. Wonderful stuff. :)

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I agree.  It's neat seeing the different designs of the labels/shells and carts.

• Like 2

I ordered another homebrew.  For some reason I didn't get my 5% off discount in the AA store.  I have the one year subscription and there's supposed to be a discount.  But maybe the discount is on certain items only.  Not a big deal, but would have been nice to save some money.  Anyway, I look forward to playing the new game once it arrives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Up n Down. I have almost pulled the trigger on it, but it is pricey and I am not sure i need to actually complete the collection.

Don't forget to get all the extras Sega games came with. The Dual Control Module for Spy Hunter is a must.

32 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

Don't forget to get all the extras Sega games came with. The Dual Control Module for Spy Hunter is a must.

I am definitely not going that far with my collecting! 🤣

I also do have my custom Retrogameboyz controller anyway. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

This arrived yesterday. 

It's kinda awesome/crap 🤣

They reached high and attempted an isometric game. Maybe it's me but it's not super clear how to cross the water, when I get it I'll get I'm sure and maybe I'll have a higher opinion of the game. The second screen is standard 2D so perhaps when I get to that I will enjoy it more. 

I primarily purchased this as a collector piece, I now own all but one Sega 2600 game, and I like the artwork. 

IMG_20240404_114354.jpg

Even the original arcade game was a pain - I cannot think of any isometric games that didn’t have issues due to that funky perspective, but add low-res 2600 graphics to the mix and it’s amazing it’s at all playable!

On 4/5/2024 at 4:47 AM, JetmanUK said:

Ah Kangaroo Golf, a classic. 

Kangaroo Golf. What a great name for a 2600 game. The player is a Kangaroo and has the ability to jump in between shots to get closer to the hole/cup, thou at a cost of accuracy. 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shane857 said:

I can't decide if I prefer Battlezone or Robot Tank. Both are great games. 

Yes they are. The biggest knock against Robot Tank is the weather. I have got snow like 4 or 5 days in a row. That just sucks.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:53 AM, Intellivision Master said:

Great games.  I own both.  Battlezone is one of my favorites. 

Battlezone was one of my favorites as a kid, as was Chopper Command. I could play both for hours on end. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, shane857 said:

I can't decide if I prefer Battlezone or Robot Tank. Both are great games. 

Robot Tank is a little more difficult to me.  But still a good game.  I've played it as a ROM.  One day I'd like to get the cart.  I heard it might not work on a 7800.  Not sure if it works on the Plus.  I went to check the Atari website for the compatibility list and now it's gone.  It was there before.  The list was on the item page for the 2600+.  Hopefully they bring the list back.

19 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Robot Tank is a little more difficult to me.  But still a good game.  I've played it as a ROM.  One day I'd like to get the cart.  I heard it might not work on a 7800.  Not sure if it works on the Plus.  I went to check the Atari website for the compatibility list and now it's gone.  It was there before.  The list was on the item page for the 2600+.  Hopefully they bring the list back.

I have it and it works on the Plus. I'm running the latest experimental firmware. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I have it and it works on the Plus. I'm running the latest experimental firmware. 

I can also confirm that Robot Tank works with the latest firmware.

IMG_4596.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

I believe Robot Tank used two different bank switching methods. One of the methods works on the 7800 and the other does not. At least that is how I remember it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Good to know.  My console is on the default firmware.  If I got the game, I would play it on my 7800.  Hopefully it would work.  But as the person above mentioned, there are 2 different bank switching methods.  The only way to find out is to buy the game and see what happens.

• Like 1