IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, Bitsized said:

General inquiry:  Has anyone purchased "untested" carts from auctions?  I recently passed up a lot of untested to be on the safe side and wondered if anyone has gotten untested working cartridges.

The official compatibility list can't really be counted on to be accurate for machines with the beta update.  I have the updates on my Plus, and out of roughly 100+ carts, all run, and only one is unplayable due to controller support issues.

15 hours ago, LS650 said:

The official compatibility list can't really be counted on to be accurate for machines with the beta update.  I have the updates on my Plus, and out of roughly 100+ carts, all run, and only one is unplayable due to controller support issues.

Sorry, let me clarify.  When I say "untested", I mean in the auction listing refers to the seller not testing the cartridges on an atari system.  I understand the confusion may come from the ongoing conversations on 2600+, but I'm referring to the vocabulary used listing a cartridge as "untested" to work in general. 

12 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

Sorry, let me clarify.  When I say "untested", I mean in the auction listing refers to the seller not testing the cartridges on an atari system.  I understand the confusion may come from the ongoing conversations on 2600+, but I'm referring to the vocabulary used listing a cartridge as "untested" to work in general. 

I've purchased a few individually without issue.  I assume these are just passing through the hands of somebody reselling something they found, probably don't even have a working 2600 to test with.  All of them have worked, and the odds are high that they will in fact "just work" most of the time IMO.  I don't know how likely it is somebody would go to all the trouble to just be dishonest about it for a few bucks, but untested probably calls for a bit lower price than average.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bitsized said:

General inquiry:  Has anyone purchased "untested" carts from auctions?  I recently passed up a lot of untested to be on the safe side and wondered if anyone has gotten untested working cartridges.

I would say many of my purchases from eBay were untested, and have been fine. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have more games on the way.  There are 4 of them and they're loose carts.

I do as well. I have two CIB on the way. I don’t normally collect CIB unless I see a good deal. In this case it was two for 23 dollars that was including shipping.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I do as well. I have two CIB on the way. I don’t normally collect CIB unless I see a good deal. In this case it was two for 23 dollars that was including shipping.

Sounds like a nice deal. Looking to seeing these and Intelli Masters too. 

I'm really hoping mine arrive soon as they are a small but nice distraction. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I just received two CIB games. And one comes with a Limited One Year Warranty! Who knew these games would last 50 year!!😆

IMG_0148.jpeg

IMG_0149.jpeg

If you call them do you think you can extend the warranty? And if you can, do you have to pay the other 49 years first? 🤔

Asteroids is one my favourite VCS games, I think the clean up the mess on the screen gameplay taps into my OCD. 🤣 Very satisfying. 

Skiing is underrated, I like it, a chilled game. I have a PAL version ( coincidentally with an NTSC replacement on the way 🤷🏻🤣). Just loose carts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

If you call them do you think you can extend the warranty? And if you can, do you have to pay the other 49 years first? 🤔

I never thought of this. I might owe them. lol,

Asteroids is one my favourite VCS games, I think the clean up the mess on the screen gameplay taps into my OCD. 🤣 Very satisfying. 

That’s great! I understand what you are saying here.

Skiing is underrated, I like it, a chilled game. 

I have a PAL version ( coincidentally with an NTSC replacement on the way 🤷🏻🤣). Just loose carts. 

Absolutely right. I always liked this one. There is something about it, even to this day I still play it! My 2600 collection is all loose carts with the exception of Homebrews and a select few CIB. This one I thought the price was a good deal and good condition. 

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

One of my CIB games arrived, here's a photo. The photo is actually from the auction as sadly the seller made a mistake and sent me the wrong copy. Doh!

I received a boxed cart with the label missing and no manual, however he is correcting this by sending me another cart with label and the manual. To be fair the box looks in slightly better condition, so this will be an all round win, especially when you consider the following...

What I did receive in the box was a nice little leaflet about other M Network games and a free decal offer! Ooh! SEND IT NOW!

I hope it's a full woodgrain decal skin for my 2600 Plus!

Joking aside I really enjoy these little extras that I actually would not have cared for one bit back in the day, now they are very cool to own. :)

EDIT:

Looking at those M Network games I don't recognise Sea Battle, was it ever released? Maybe not, or perhaps under a different name? Perhaps on other consoles? Is there a prototype out there for download? I will look into this.

EDIT EDIT:

An answer!

Atari 2600 VCS Sea Battle : scans, dump, download, screenshots, ads, videos, catalog, instructions, roms (atarimania.com)

I will try it out, I love collecting for the 2600, stuff like this, these rabbit holes. Such fun. :)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

1713532302218.jpg

1713532302227.jpg

1713532302236.jpg

1713532302248.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

Two NTSC games arrived🤗

Bought them in Germany, so price plus shipping was about 25% of an import😊

Chopper Command not only has got different colors (more like brown than ocher) but plays faster and so it is the far better game.

The PAL chopper steers so sluggish I never liked the game... now I love it🤙

20240419_151631.jpg

20240419_151820.jpg

20240419_151723.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Two NTSC games arrived🤗

Bought them in Germany, so price plus shipping was about 25% of an import😊

Chopper Command not only has got different colors (more like brown than ocher) but plays faster and so it is the far better game.

The PAL chopper steers so sluggish I never liked the game... now I love it🤙

20240419_151631.jpg

20240419_151820.jpg

20240419_151723.jpg

I replaced my PAL Chopper Command with the NTSC one a while ago and noticed just how much nicer it is. I'm slowly doing this for most of my Activision carts as their PAL games are the worst. Slow, compromised colours and large borders. Yuck. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

@DEANJIMMY Always liked CHOPPER COMMAND I was never that good at it till I watched a YouTuber showing how to beat the game. It’s not a cheat, you have to work for it. Just a technique that works. Took me about three hours to complete! One of very few games I managed to beat.

IMG_1953.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

What I did receive in the box was a nice little leaflet about other M Network games and a free decal offer! Ooh! SEND IT NOW!

I hope it's a full woodgrain decal skin for my 2600 Plus!

I wonder if anyone has one of these free decals today.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

SPACE CAVERN looks like a good one! And the labels look nice!

I have both the red and blue label versions of Space Cavern. I just liked the art and variation, and they were cheap. I'll post a pic when I'm home later. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I have both the red and blue label versions of Space Cavern. I just liked the art and variation, and they were cheap. I'll post a pic when I'm home later. 

I thought the label was blue. Didn’t realize there’s a red version also. 👍