IGNORED

Anybody else here find it really curious that...

John Stamos Mullet

Within a couple of weeks of the 2600+ being released - a suspiciously large number of "new" users signed up here at atariage.com, and coincidentally ALL of them are complaining about the 2600+ in one way or another, constantly, all day long, derailing nearly every thread in this sub forum with their petty personal complaints?

It's almost like a certain group of people PLANNED to do this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I am new here and I am in love with it. I am 51 and I have not heard or played these games for like 40 years.... some of the sounds damn near make me cry. Cant wait to see my 86 year old moms reaction when she opens her Atari 2600 for Christmas..... and the 10 games I got of Ebay.

She LOVED Mega Mania. :)

Ignore the haters.

• Like 19

50 minutes ago, Velvis said:

Am I missing something? Who would do that?

I can’t say who specifically, but there are some really weird, obsessed factions of retro gaming fandoms out there who take a lot of this stuff too seriously. 

and also a few touched individuals who just post one long word salad reply after another complaining about all manner of inscrutable pet peeves and things Atari has no obligation to answer for. 

I love this hobby, but man there are some people who just… 

• Like 5

I don't think it's a large number - just a small number who are very vocal both here and on social media: YouTube comments,  Facebook,  etc.  

I'm not sure they have anything to gain: the Plus just doesn't appeal to them, and they want to tear down something they just don't like.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Within a couple of weeks of the 2600+ being released - a suspiciously large number of "new" users signed up here at atariage.com, and coincidentally ALL of them are complaining about the 2600+ in one way or another, constantly, all day long, derailing nearly every thread in this sub forum with their petty personal complaints?

If I had to guess, it would be a bleed over from the Reddit crowd. The retro Atari crowd on there is super negative and prone to dog piling on anything they don't like. Which is almost everything lol. 

I've had the exact opposite experience. The 2600+ is a great product, and out of the box already way more compatible than the Hyperkin. And Ben seems like a really cool dude who is genuinely committed to making the product better. After I posted about some compatibility issues a few of us noticed with Rev 3 coleco carts, he reached out to me and we're sending him a few carts so that the 2600+ dev can figure out why they're not working and fix the issues.

I'll take that kind of interest and dedication ANY day over some of the other companies that release stuff, make excuses, and never fix anything.

Some people just can't be happy with anything.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Complainers gonna complain. 

I 💗 my Atari 2600+

Favorite.  Purchase.  All.  Year.

Yep, they will, lets ignore them

Me too, and mine too. :)

I've had so much fun with mine so far... My main complaint is that I have raided eBay and spent far too much money on old carts. Ah well.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Yep, they will, lets ignore them

Me too, and mine too. :)

I've had so much fun with mine so far... My main complaint is that I have raided eBay and spent far too much money on old carts. Ah well.

Same for me.

And though I'm a new member on the forum here, I've occasionally visited the forums over the course of a few years to just browse a bit.

Though now I got my 2600+ (which I'm loving) and getting into more retro-gaming with it, I figured I would finally become a member of the forums here.

I don't recall posting anything negative or 'complaining'.

• Like 3

I can’t say I have seen that much negativity, either from new posters or from old regulars.

While I personally will unlikely be buying a 2600+, since I already have 4 or more original systems (only 2 are currently working) and an modded AFBX. I hope that the 2600+ exceeds sales goals. Anything that increases the likelihood that AtariAge and Atari have a much larger user base should make for a bigger market for the production of new games. That would be good for everyone.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

If I had to guess, it would be a bleed over from the Reddit crowd. The retro Atari crowd on there is super negative and prone to dog piling on anything they don't like. Which is almost everything lol. 

I've had the exact opposite experience. The 2600+ is a great product, and out of the box already way more compatible than the Hyperkin. And Ben seems like a really cool dude who is genuinely committed to making the product better. After I posted about some compatibility issues a few of us noticed with Rev 3 coleco carts, he reached out to me and we're sending him a few carts so that the 2600+ dev can figure out why they're not working and fix the issues.

I'll take that kind of interest and dedication ANY day over some of the other companies that release stuff, make excuses, and never fix anything.

Some people just can't be happy with anything.

I was eyeing up the 2600+ when it launched , and joined here to see what the community thought of it before making any decisions, cause i was expecting the hate from reddit due to it being emulation based, and as soon as i saw Ben popping up answering questions and trying his hardest to improve it , has made me decide to get one, just waiting a few days to see what boxing say sales bring before actually getting one, really excited to try the 2600 out and start a collection of games, ive played a bit in emulators on my pc but doesnt compare to using the proper controller and that experience of physical cartridges imo 

• Like 1

I mean, the first reason I registered here after months of lurking was to enquire/discuss the 2600+, since it's the first actual atari console I've ever owned.

Other than my feelings towards the lack of Flash-Cart compatibility thoug, I have nothing but positive things to say about the 2600+. It's a MAJOR flaw and that's why I mention it whenever the discussion of Firmware updates or wishlists for atari come up, but the emulation quality, build quality, look, etc. are all great.

But yeah, I would imagine a lot of people would come here since the 2600+ did appeal to a lot of casual consumers and nostalgic boomers/gen-Xers and got much more coverage than the Gamestation Pro. I can't get conspiratorial about it though.

10 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Has their been any increase in eBay prices of 2600 7800 carts recently?

I only started to collect after I bought the 2600 Plus so I can't really say. The 7800 games seem mostly too pricey in general, I guess that's to be expected. I have still picked up a few though, some currently not working sadly, Choplifter, Karateka and Ms Pac-Man.

I'm all in if you guys start selling more new carts at £25, like you have with Berzerk Enhanced and Mr Run and Jump (maybe happy to even go up to £30), I'd much rather give my money to Atari TBH.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

That's just terrible!!!
And you know what's worse?

My new Atari 2600+ broke!  You see, I was using it to try to play some games, and none of them worked at all!!!
And then the 2600+ burst into flames and caught my house on fire!!!  Yeah, that's the ticket!!!
Wife (Morgan Fairchild!!), kids, dog in the house too!!!   
Such a tragedy!!!

Man I miss that dog....

I'm sorry, what was this thread about again???

(OK, not sorry!!! ;-)  And no, I don't even have a 2600+ yet...  Just being silly just in case anyone was wondering...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I'm all in if you guys start selling more new carts at £25, like you have with Berzerk Enhanced and Mr Run and Jump (maybe happy to even go up to £30), I'd much rather give my money to Atari TBH.

I agree, I'm likely to buy any new cartridges being sold by Atari in that kind of price range. They just need to be available internationally.

Buying good condition original boxed cartridges from eBay generally costs me far more than that due to the shipping costs.

• Like 3

Is650 hit it. Not a lot of people, just A small vocal crowd. I hear a lot of complaints about compatibility, but I knew that before getting in. It should improve at least some, but I doubt will ever be 100% on the plus, I just support it because I'm hoping Atari will continue working on it and even make new better hardware in the future.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I had noticed that there were tons of new people, but I assumed they came here to Atari Age because they saw the 2600+ being advertised on X / Reddit / Facebook / whatever... and kind of got back into the hobby. Most of the new people I've seen have just been asking a few questions, but the constant trashing of Atari does piss me off.

• Like 1