IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I don't care.  I know it's a real good old boys club here that I don't really belong to. I'm just a game player, and I don't need to be here. You guys have a great one.

Albert: if you can delete my account and posts, I would appreciate it, if not, then no big deal. Thanks much. 

Trust me, it is NOT a "good old boys" club. Most people here hate me. I've had people cry to the mods about wanting me banned forever because my political and social opinions don't gel with theirs.

Didn't stop me from coming back. I love Atari, and also my opinions are my own, and nobody is going to take them from me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Trust me, it is NOT a "good old boys" club. Most people here hate me. I've had people cry to the mods about wanting me banned forever because my political and social opinions don't gel with theirs.

Didn't stop me from coming back. I love Atari, and also my opinions are my own, and nobody is going to take them from me.

I suppose now is not a good time for all of us to hold hands and sing Kumbuyah?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks to all who have made and continue to make this console what it is and what it will be.  I’m here for the long haul. I love  buying plastic devices to place into other plastic devices to have interactive experiences. 

Edited by Bitsized
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, D Train said:

If you can't have a good interactive experience by placing one plastic device into another, what *can* you have a good interactive experience with?

Saaaay, I like the configuration of your connector!

Anyways, I will probably give and get my Own Glowy Plus thingamabob to set up for casual pick up and play by some of my extended family on stop-overs pretty soon ish, even though I have multiple original consoles. 

Edited by AtariNerd
Things
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

While there is a Ton of supporting commentary for the 2600+ here, there’s also a sizable amount of negativity towards it. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, I find the constantly intrusive amount of negativity here to be off putting.

I really have no idea what you are talking about. Or is it already "negativity" if you point out shortcomings to get them fixed. Or if you explain the difference between original hardware and an emulation based solution? I am form Germany, and here we appreciate direct speech. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Updated to dumper1.1.0.9 and just wanted to verify that Robot Tank, Burgertime, Masters of the Universe and  Mr. Do are now working. However, as it has already been reported, Time Pilot loads with a garbled title text at the top and the rest of the screen is blank. When you press the button you can hear firing but the majority of the screen is blank. Also continuing issues are video touch pad for Star Raiders still unresponsive. Tac Scan loads but you can't start the game as it uses a strange controller configuration with the paddles plugged into the right port. Everything else that I have (100+ titles) works great. Keep up the fantastic work! 👍

• Like 4

There is no difference in ram chips the 113 and 114 number simply refers to the date and machine that the chip was made on.

114A is the date code for 2021 week 14 A machine.   

113B is the date code for 2021 week 13 B machine.   

Datasheet for the DDR attached

Same goes with the SoC

Hynix-H5TQ2G63GFR.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

Being a Mac-only guy I´d be interested if in the meantime some solution (other than running Windows on Mac) has been established for the coming firmware update process. Also: Would it be possible to put the image to an SD card and supply it via the internal SD card holder? (I have that one equipped just to see what would be possible out of the box). Any info on how to prep the SD card contents (filenames, file system, partitioning schemes etc.) ?

48 minutes ago, larsvonhier said:

Being a Mac-only guy I´d be interested if in the meantime some solution (other than running Windows on Mac) has been established for the coming firmware update process. Also: Would it be possible to put the image to an SD card and supply it via the internal SD card holder? (I have that one equipped just to see what would be possible out of the box). Any info on how to prep the SD card contents (filenames, file system, partitioning schemes etc.) ?

You can use a Linux VM that supports USB forwarding to run Rockchip's proprietary update_tool. Version 2.1 (i.e. form here) works find. On Apple Silicon you either need a VM that has x64 support via Rosetta 2 (Parallels supports this, and UTM supposedly too, although I haven't tried UTM), or you can use qemu-user to run the binary.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

Also: Would it be possible to put the image to an SD card and supply it via the internal SD card holder? (I have that one equipped just to see what would be possible out of the box). Any info on how to prep the SD card contents (filenames, file system, partitioning schemes etc.) ?

The firmware is currently not set up to support this. Judging from dmesg, MMC support is compiled in, and a card should appear as a device node in /dev. Won't do you any good though out of the box, as the firmware wouldn't even automount it. Would be interesting to see whether it works though, if you have a slot soldered. You can attach a serial terminal via the UART header and log in to check --- root password is "deeplay".

EDIT: looking at my board at the slot header I see that a bunch of passives is missing below it, probably resistors. Don't think soldering a slot will do much good without adding those as well.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

There is no difference in ram chips the 113 and 114 number simply refers to the date and machine that the chip was made on.

So that confirms that DRAM should be identical. And if it were faulty it should just fail randomly, not be slower. The CPUs are identical, too, and at least comparing my clock to @remowilliams's showed a clock drift of 0.01% - 0.02%, so the oscillator is not the issue either. I think the only way to find out if and what differs between the consoles that behave well and those that don't is connecting a "good" and a "bad" one to the same equipment, validate the issue and then look for differences from the command line (like CPU usage and clock).

Edited by DirtyHairy

16 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

The firmware is currently not set up to support this. Judging from dmesg, MMC support is compiled in, and a card should appear as a device node in /dev. Won't do you any good though out of the box, as the firmware wouldn't even automount it. Would be interesting to see whether it works though, if you have a slot soldered. You can attach a serial terminal via the UART header and log in to check --- root password is "deeplay".

EDIT: looking at my board at the slot header I see that a bunch of passives is missing below it, probably resistors. Don't think soldering a slot will do much good without adding those as well.

Thanks for the pwd. And yeah, I already checked the pinout of the card slot footprint and found some essential 0R are missing, so I solder-closed the appropriate gaps in those signal lines. If anyone is interested I can share the Würth part number of the suitable card holder type.

Edited by larsvonhier

12 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

So that confirms that DRAM should be identical. And if it were faulty it should just fail randomly, not be slower. The CPUs are identical, too, and at least comparing my clock to @remowilliams's showed a clock drift of 0.01% - 0.02%, so the oscillator is not the issue either. I think the only way to find out if and what differs between the consoles that behave well and those that don't is connecting a "good" and a "bad" one to the same equipment, validate the issue and then look for differences from the command line (like CPU usage and clock).

So is it possible for the consoles that are lagging slightly in some games apply a fix through a software update?

15 minutes ago, larsvonhier said:

Thanks for the pwd. And yeah, I already checked the pinout of the card slot footprint and found some essential 0R are missing, so I solder-closed the appropriate gaps in those signal lines. If anyone is interested I can share the Würth part number of the suitable card holder type.

I already suspected that 0R would be OK, but electronics is not my strong side... 😛 Please post if this works, then I might add a slot too --- I am interested 😏

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

So is it possible for the consoles that are lagging slightly in some games apply a fix through a software update?

If it is really only speed, then yes --- there should be about 30% performance improvement out there to pick up just by compiling with PGO. I still find it slightly mysterious though why some devices seem to act up and others don't.

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DirtyHairy said:

If it is really only speed, then yes --- there should be about 30% performance improvement out there to pick up just by compiling with PGO. I still find it slightly mysterious though why some devices seem to act up and others don't.

Is it possible that somehow the retroarch  config file got corrupted while flashing the storage, and instead of running on optimized settings, it is running on default settings?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtyHairy said:

The CPUs are identical, too

Are you certain about this?

chad5200         RK3128    SDAUKA764 2318   (performance issues: no)
MrChickenz       RK3128    SDAUM3293 2318  (performance issues: yes)
remowilliams    RK3128    SDAUM3293 2318  (performance issues: yes)

Those are the writing on the CPU's of three members here.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Are you certain about this?

chad5200         RK3128    SDAUKA764 2318   (performance issues: no)
MrChickenz       RK3128    SDAUM3293 2318  (performance issues: yes)
remowilliams    RK3128    SDAUM3293 2318  (performance issues: yes)

Those are the writing on the CPU's of three members here.

Chad5200 do you have Pitfall if so does it have a clicking sound for you. Mine also has a slight hesitation or skipping it’s almost not noticeable because of the obstacles. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Chad5200 do you have Pitfall if so does it have a clicking sound for you. Mine also has a slight hesitation or skipping it’s almost not noticeable because of the obstacles. 

My Pitfall does not have a clicking sound.  I do not see any hesitation or skipping during gameplay.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add an observation that the "silicon lottery" is a thing when chips are being pushed hard and temperatures rise to the point of thermal throttling. In those circumstances lower voltage will also allow you to run cooler and longer. (provided you still hit all of the logic levels)

I'm not saying thermal throttling is what's happening here, but it's one of the possible things that you'd expect to vary a bit between chips and also between usb chargers.

• Like 3

I just updated my 2600+ dumper with the AtariDumper 1.1.0.9 version in an effort to get games using 128 bytes of RAM working. My Otaku cart works ok on the Atari 7800. But on the 2600+ I do get bad results with these RAM enhanced cart images.

These carts use 128 byte RAM at 0x1000 - 0x107f for writing and 0x1080 - 0x10ff for reading. The cart is basically just a F4, F6 or F8 bankswitching cart.

I may have done something wrong in my flash cart that prohibits it to run on the 2600+. But as the games run ok on the Atari 7800 I suspect the dumper more than my cart.

Happy for any comments regarding if these carts work on the 2600+ or not.

From the web:

Atari called theirs SARA and it added 128 bytes of RAM.  14 games were released between 1982 - 1984 that used the SARA:

Atari released 14 games that used the SARA - only 4 of those being released in Atari Inc.'s final year (late 1983 - early 1984).

• Elevator Action (8K) prototype

• Stargate / Defender II (8K)

• Crack'ed (16K) prototype

• Crystal Castles (16K)

• Dark Chambers (16K)

• Desert Falcon (16K)

• Dig Dug (16K) - 1st SARA-enabled game

• Jr. Pac-Man (16K)

• KLAX (16K)

• Millipede (16K)

• Off The Wall (16K)

• Radar Lock (16K)

• Save Mary (16K) prototype

• Secret Quest (16K)

• Shooting Arcade (16K) prototype

• Sprint Master (16K)

• Super Football (16K)

• Fatal Run (32K)

Both Garfield and Zoo Keeper were to use the SARA chip as well. The following homebrew games also use the SARA:

• The Byte Before Christmas (32K)

• Cave In (32K) 1st homebrew to use SARA

• Chetiry (uses SARA for the high score table)

• Escape It!