IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

On 1/19/2024 at 6:24 PM, chad5200 said:

I don’t have Time Pilot but I do have Mouse Trap and it’s playing fine. Always has since 1.00 if I recall correctly. 

I can confirm that Mouse Trap works fine on my 1.00 2600+. I'm always curious to learn if a Firmware upgrade breaks something, of course, but I'm guessing that's not what's going on here.

27 minutes ago, F4NTOM said:

Trying to update my 2600+ on my PC (that I used before to perform the first update) and the PC doesn't recognize the 2600+. Is there something I'm not doing or did something change?

Try a usb 3.0 port. First time I had to use 2.0 then it would not recognize the 2600+ Or it was intermittent 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Try a usb 3.0 port. First time I had to use 2.0 then it would not recognize the 2600+ Or it was intermittent 

I goofed - forgot to use the pack-in cable. Got it to work and now I can play Robot Tank!

• Like 2

I will be unable to update firmware until a mac loader is available but in the meantime, does anyone know if there will be trackball support for the TB hacks? Or is that pretty much a pipe dream with emulation the same way paddles will always be a little choppy?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blinky said:

my PAL dig dug and Fatal play fine too (not counting the 50/60 Hz issues).

I dumped both roms on the 2600+ and noticed something interesting. on Fatal run the RAM sections all read FFs except the section at offset 0x6000 that one reads as all 00s.

Dig dug is even more interesting. All ram sections are different but the 128 byte write section contains the same contents as the 128 byte read  section. With @Thomas Jentzsch knowledge that SC RAM is slow. I'd say the dumper reads out the data stored in ROM that is normally not accessible but since the dumper is faster than than RAM. it  reads the rom before the ram data is enabled/output. The data read is probably junk that was in memory when the source code of the game was assembled. two sections that cointain mostly ASCII:

I have to correct myself regarding SC RAM detection. Here is Stella's code:

bool CartDetector::isProbablySC(const ByteBuffer& image, size_t size)
{
  // We assume a Superchip cart repeats the first 128 bytes for the second
  // 128 bytes in the RAM area, which is the first 256 bytes of each 4K bank
  const uInt8* ptr = image.get();
  while(size)
  {
    if(std::memcmp(ptr, ptr + 128, 128) != 0)
      return false;

ptr  += 4_KB;
    size -= 4_KB;
  }
  return true;
}

So not all banks have to be equal, but the first 128 bytes or RAM have to be identical with the 2nd 128 bytes. Sorry for causing confusion.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I have to correct myself regarding SC RAM detection. Here is Stella's code:

bool CartDetector::isProbablySC(const ByteBuffer& image, size_t size)
{
  // We assume a Superchip cart repeats the first 128 bytes for the second
  // 128 bytes in the RAM area, which is the first 256 bytes of each 4K bank
  const uInt8* ptr = image.get();
  while(size)
  {
    if(std::memcmp(ptr, ptr + 128, 128) != 0)
      return false;

ptr  += 4_KB;
    size -= 4_KB;
  }
  return true;
}

So not all banks have to be equal, but the first 128 bytes or RAM have to be identical with the 2nd 128 bytes. Sorry for causing confusion.

That'll work for static binary files. But for dumping a better way might be to have two dumps and compare them. If the RAM area truly is random then the dump differences are where the RAM is located. You'd have to be prepared for similarities occurring by chance though.

If it was me, I would try something like this:

1) Acquire two dumps from cartridge

2) Compare bytes in RAM area of cartridge

3) If there are N differences then it's an SC cartridge (N being an appropriate threshold)

4) Check non RAM area. If there are differences then the dump has failed - or at least, it's not an SC chip but something more exotic

7 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

That'll work for static binary files. But for dumping a better way might be to have two dumps and compare them. If the RAM area truly is random then the dump differences are where the RAM is located. You'd have to be prepared for similarities occurring by chance though.

If it was me, I would try something like this:

1) Acquire two dumps from cartridge

2) Compare bytes in RAM area of cartridge

3) If there are N differences then it's an SC cartridge (N being an appropriate threshold)

4) Check non RAM area. If there are differences then the dump has failed - or at least, it's not an SC chip but something more exotic

If I had to do it I would write a word to address 0x1000, wait for a while and read it from 0x1080. Repeat the process with another word. If it is RAM I just dump the cart starting at 0x1100 for all blocks and leave the RAM area untouched. For Stella I would fill the RAM area in the dump with zeros.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, karri said:

If I had to do it I would write a word to address 0x1000, wait for a while and read it from 0x1080. Repeat the process with another word. If it is RAM I just dump the cart starting at 0x1100 for all blocks and leave the RAM area untouched.

Yes. That's smart. Simpler and quicker

10 hours ago, dfdfan said:

I will be unable to update firmware until a mac loader is available but in the meantime, does anyone know if there will be trackball support for the TB hacks? Or is that pretty much a pipe dream with emulation the same way paddles will always be a little choppy?

No one has said paddles will always be a little choppy! We’re still hoping for a firmware update to fix it!

But not many people (comparatively) own the trackballs, and Atari doesn’t currently sell them (unlike the paddles) so I would hope getting the paddles to work better would be a priority. I haven’t heard anyone say there would never be trackball support, though.

Edited by Glorkbot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2024 at 7:03 PM, Plumbob said:
I tested with an Atari 7800 ProSystem along side an updated 2600+ both hooked up to different inputs on the same TV so I could compare.  I found:
  1. For 2600 Astroblast (Mattel Inc.), the paddle input works great but the joystick doesn't work at all. 
  2. Homebrew 2600 Hero2 (Game Select) just shows a black screen after it says Loading Game. It does NOT say Loading Game Failed. I retried several times.  The cartridge works just fine in my 7800. 
  3. Dig Dug for the 7800 no longer has a random line at the top of the screen. So that is good!

I realize this update was mainly focused on 7800 homebrew but wanted to provide feedback on what I found. 

I had a lot of trouble with updating the 2600+ until I realized that I wasn’t following Ben’s instructions closely enough. I guess I need new glasses!

Overall this is great work and I really appreciate that Plaion is providing updates to get it working perfectly!  I’m really enjoying “participating” on this forum. 

My HERO 2 cart doesn’t load on the 2600+.  But it doesn’t say load failed either.  It just comes up as a blank screen. Can anybody else confirm if Hero 2 is working on their 2600+ or if it will work in the next firmware update?

I am very grateful for any help with getting this game to work!

20 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Activison Crackpots 2600 (NTSC) 1.1.0.9. Hesitates while moving left to right!

Not for me... but I don't experience any of the performance related issues that you and others are reporting.

I think it's pretty clear now that some 2600+ units are having CPU issues and others are not.  Maybe comes down to the different tolerances of the CPU's and when they were manufactured.  I think the only solution is for Plaion to optimize the CPU usage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dfdfan said:

Currently it works in joystick mode but not in TB mode. Centipede TB for 7800 loads, but you can't do anything after that.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:43 PM, MrChickenz said:

Can you check Space Attack, I only have one copy but I am getting a popping sound every couple of seconds, I've changed usb power cable, power brick, switched hdmi ports on tv, no popping on Flashback Gold 12 rom or my Retron 77...

M-Network the ones I have all work

1 ASTROBLAST (paddles)

2 SPACE ATTACK

3 TRON DEADLY DISCS

4 ADVENTURES OF TRON

5 AIR RAIDERS

6 ARMOR AMBUSH (two player only)

7 FROGS AND FLIES

8 LOCK AND CHASE

9 DARK CAVERN

10 SUPER CHALLANGE FOOTBALL (two player only)

11 SUPER CHALLANGE BASEBALL (two player only)

Edited by inky71

14 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Yes I do have a popping sound on mine as well!

Thanks for checking so fast! So its not my cart or my particular 2600+, the Retron 77 has no audio problems but does have graphical errors. I'm collecting all the M Network Games to satisfy my intellivision itch and Space Attack is one of my Fav's so I was bummed to hear this audio problem while play.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Yes I do have a popping sound on mine as well!

I've just checked and this is the same issue as Pitfall, Fishing Derby and Hero. I'm almost certain this is because of the non-zero volume registers and an under-running audio buffer.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

I've just checked and this is the same issue as Pitfall, Fishing Derby and Hero. I'm almost certain this is because of the non-zero volume registers and an under-running audio buffer.

Appreciate all your posts. This will be looked into.

We're just having some last minute checks on a 1.1 beta rev 2 which should be released imminently, then we'll be looking more at 2600 issues like CPU maxing out and audio clicking.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Appreciate all your posts. This will be looked into.

We're just having some last minute checks on a 1.1 beta rev 2 which should be released imminently, then we'll be looking more at 2600 issues like CPU maxing out and audio clicking.

Thanks Ben! And to everyone else involved!