IGNORED

Games of The400 Mini

XEGS88

That's a solid list.  If this thing can be loaded up with additional games then, while the initial buy-in ($130) might be a little high, it would be more than worth it for fans of the platform and/or those wanting to take a deep dive into it without a lot of hassle.

5 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

That's a solid list.  If this thing can be loaded up with additional games then, while the initial buy-in ($130) might be a little high, it would be more than worth it for fans of the platform and/or those wanting to take a deep dive into it without a lot of hassle.

It's a little cheaper than that, at USD $120

• Like 2

19 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

Asteroids is a great arcade game, but I was never all that impressed with the A8 conversion

It was probably selected for its multiplayer modes. Doesn't it allow for up to 4 player simultaneous or something? IDK... never played it with others myself; but I've heard some people say it's really fun that way.

• Like 1

Just now, MrFish said:

It was probably selected for its multiplayer modes. Doesn't it allow for up to 4 player simultaneous or something? IDK... never played it with others myself; but I've heard some people say it's really fun that way.

Asteroids is a legendary Atari game, so it's no surprise to see it included ... regardless of how the 8-bit port stands up to other Atari versions.

If it supports multiplayer, or "co-op" play as it's known these days ... that'll be even better.

12 minutes ago, sundance8 said:

Asteroids is a legendary Atari game, so it's no surprise to see it included ... regardless of how the 8-bit port stands up to other Atari versions.

Yes, of course the name Asteroids is enough of a reason; but I think they also want some games that demonstrate use of the 4 USB ports on the front (which mimics the 4 joystick ports on the original 400). Plus, I think they want to give people a reason to buy more of their joysticks. Lets face it, they stand to make plenty on the joysticks, especially considering they will also work with any computer.

56 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Good point.  Yes, it does support 4-player simultaneous, probably unique among all versions of the game Atari has released.

Also, it seems like a missed opportunity that none of the games currently sold here on AtariAge are part of the lineup.  Adventure II XE, Castle Crisis, and Tempest 5200 all come to mind as great games that could have appeared in the lineup with relatively fewer obstacles regarding licensing.  (In fact, Castle Crisis could simply be renamed Warlords).

Edited by FifthPlayer

16 hours ago, Giles N said:

Here is one video covering some top homebrews, originals and unpublished-but-later-found(?) games. Really, things that shows how the variantions of Atari 8-bit could have games that really shines and sparkles. Guess many more can be added:  

The Ms. Pac-Man update is wrongly credited to @playsoft & @darryl1970 in that video. It was done by @tep392 & @MrFish (myself). Also to note, it's not entirely finished; but the last demo/beta I posted is still quite playable.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

The Ms. Pac-Man update is wrongly credited to @playsoft & @darryl1970 in that video. It was done by @tep392 & @MrFish (myself). Also to note, it's not entirely finished; but the last demo/beta I posted is still quite playable.

Thanks for clarifying that. I just took a video that presented games I thought looked interesting.

2 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

a missed opportunity that none of the games currently sold here on AtariAge are part of the lineup.  Adventure II XE, Castle Crisis, and Tempest 5200 a

… I thought something of the same myself.

Are they planning something else? 
Does @Albert know if Atari asked for, or considered using any of these titles (if cleared/allowed to say anything about it, if anything was discussed)?

Edited by Giles N

1 minute ago, Giles N said:

… I thought something of the same myself.

Are they planning something else? 
Does @Albert know if Atari asked for, or considered using any of these titles (if cleared/allowed to say anything about it, if anything was discussed)?

It's early days on this front, stay tuned.  :)

..Al

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Thanks for clarifying that. I just took a video that presented games I thought looked interesting.

Nothing wrong with the video, otherwise; there are some great games represented there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's early days on this front, stay tuned.  :)

..Al

We will.

We’re well-hooked now: not only video games and consoles, but secrets and intrigue too 😄… 

… no-one ever leaves AA after this 😁

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MrFish said:

42 minutes ago, MrFish said:

Nothing wrong with the video, otherwise; there are some great games represented there.

Just to add here, Playsoft helped me with a graphic hack on top of the aforementioned hack that @tep392 and @MrFish created. Playsoft also helped port some of the optimizations to the 5200 version, because their hack plays like the original should have. Much better sound too!

I decided to post the hack with a bunch of my other graphic hacks. (Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Mario Bros 5200, and Mario Bros XE).

Ms Pac-Man versions were added as an afterthought.

However I emphasized in bold that these were just my graphic hacks and that Ms Pac-Man versions (A8/5200) were based off of the Hack by @MrFish and @tep392. I had to dig to find out who hacked this. I am sorry that got missed.

image.thumb.png.5b66c7e403db06e27e313b895f5db5eb.png

If it's the graphic hack, we may have contributed to that area.

EDIT: I just finished the video, and our graphic hacks are not in the version used.

--Darryl

4 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

Just to add here, Playsoft helped me with a graphic hack on top of the aforementioned hack that @tep392 and @MrFish created. Playsoft also helped port some of the optimizations to the 5200 version, because their hack plays like the original should have. Much better sound too!

Yeah, I remember you and playsoft did a hack of our hack, which changed all the main characters and some other graphics. I'm not sure, maybe the cut-scene graphics were left as I had done them (?)

Just to be clear, the video that was posted shows the hack done by myself and tep392, not the hack by playsoft and darryl1970. I guess that's why the guy in the video got confused, since there were several hacks with the sound and speed improvements (both done by tep392).

22 hours ago, MrFish said:

I remember you and playsoft did a hack of our hack,

22 hours ago, MrFish said:

the video that was posted shows the hack done by myself and tep392, not the hack by playsoft and darryl1970.

(Namco weeping in the background)

23 hours ago, Giles N said:

We will.

We’re well-hooked now: not only video games and consoles, but secrets and intrigue too 😄… 

… no-one ever leaves AA after this 😁

Anyway, any Atari-sponsored hotels in California at the moment

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2024 at 5:36 PM, Giles N said:

My first computer and essentially game console was an Atari400. I am very excited about this product.  Having even external keyboard support opens up a ton of possibilities. 

I was just thinking the same thing as these comments.  Using modern home-brew to improve the product with additional pack-in games would be a good showcase for those games.  Maybe even draw more people into the home-brew scene.  I'm really happy to see Albert's potentially positive response above, so I hope they can do something along those lines before release.  Even using some games that have been out there a while would be awesome.  AtariBlast! belongs on something like this as a pack in game.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocketfan said:

AtariBlast

Aye, and Crownland at least looks like another showcase homebrew…

(…since I ‘only’ have the 5200 console which won’t play it, I’m not sure. Since it’s shareware/public domain as far as I know, it’ll be one my first things to get on usb-stick to test on the 400Mini, provided its emulation-capabilities are good enough)

Edited by Giles N

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Aye, and Crownland at least looks like another showcase homebrew…

Crownland is a really nice platformer that was made for the 2007 ABBUC software contest. It didn't win, it got 2nd place after Yoomp.

It's no Super Mario Bros., since it lacks some variety of abilities (no brick breaking, no fireballs, etc.), levels, and enemies; but the levels are really nicely designed and it features some cool graphic techniques. Nothing really tops it on the system yet (for scrolling platformers); the newer game Albert nearly equals it, though, with its big sprites and high color usage.

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Nothing really tops it on the system yet (for scrolling platformers)

What you say there, was my impression (from seeing the gameplay-videos).

And since its the best game of its genre on those systems, it would’ve been really cool and meaningful to have it built-in. 

Edited by Giles N

6 hours ago, rocketfan said:

AtariBlast! belongs on something like this as a pack in game.  

AtariBlast would actually pose a few problems to include (for Atari): its heavy use of referencing/allusions to ‘classic’ shmups, even if the game and gameplay itself is original as complete game.