IGNORED

Games of The400 Mini

XEGS88

18 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

But I really only use about four keys for throttle (0 - dead stop, 2 - starbase approach, 6 - cruising speed, 8 - pursuit)

Same here. My speeds aren't identical, but I almost exclusively use 4 speeds.

20 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

SR uses 10 keys in addition to the numbers, so with the help of two extra buttons on the controller itself, the game should be playable.

Yeah, I would think so; but as I mentioned, there are similar types of abbreviated keyboards that come with more than 12 keys too, if needed. I guess it's a matter of finding out what The400 mini can do own its own first.

TheC64 mini has an onscreen keyboard that pops up on the right side of the screen when one of the special buttons on the joystick is pressed.

Curt Vendell sold a USB Atari Joystick many years ago, and Hyperkin has been selling their Trooper II USB Atari Joystick for the past few years. If you search the web, you’ll find it easy to interface an Arduino to an original Atari Joystick to connect thru USB.

I don't know if this was mentioned somewhere, but I was thinking that in the past years, some TheC64 Mini and A500 Mini users created little keyboards so they could install them in these computers, in order to have a working (although difficult to use) keyboard. They are quite complicated, with micro switches and keycaps taken from cutting the original false keyboards and adapting them to the switches.

In this case, wouldn't it be a much easier thing to create? Some kind of membrane keypad, an arduino board or similar to interface it with an USB port from inside... and we get something similar in size as the ZX81.

It would be great having a working keyboard on this little beauty.

Edited by scelbi8h

10 minutes ago, Forrest said:

TheC64 mini has an onscreen keyboard that pops up on the right side of the screen when one of the special buttons on the joystick is pressed.

Right, and I expect to see something similar for The400 mini. But something like that is only going to be useful for slower-paced games. For games like Star Raiders you need to have quick access to all controls, or you're bug splat.

6 minutes ago, scelbi8h said:

I don't know if this was mentioned somewhere, but I was thinking that in the past years, some TheC64 Mini and A500 Mini users created little keyboards so they could install them in these computers, in order to have a working (although difficult to use) keyboard. They are quite complicated, with micro switches and keycaps taken from cutting the original false keyboards and adapting them to the switches.

In this case, wouldn't it be a much easier thing to create? Some kind of membrane keypad, an arduino board or similar to interface it with an USB port from inside... and we get something similar in size as the ZX81.

It would be great having a working keyboard on this little beauty.

I agree it would be way more desirable to have a working keyboard (even if it's very small), and possibly something that will happen in the future.

I'm thinking more in terms of the immediate future (with these other solutions), in order to be able to use this thing when it's purchased.

On 1/13/2024 at 9:52 AM, MrFish said:

Depends what they want to do with it. I wouldn't expect many people to sit with one of these things and program. The likely use is for BASIC games, which may or may not require any keyboard input.

I will be one of those that learns to program it. Because I didn't have one when I was young. I will go through the books that came with it and others that people talk about. So I can compare it to other 8 bit computers of that era.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 8:43 AM, zzip said:

If the cart has a header, then emulators do a pretty good job with them,  but one issue is there are many cart images out there without headers and emulators often prompt the user for what cart type it is (bankswitching method) it's trial and error to find the right answer.

It should be smart enough to know an ATR means computer mode, but it won't know whether it should run in 400/800, XL or 128K+ XE mode, or whether BASIC should be enabled, or if the game runs better in NTSC or PAL unless it has some kind of database to figure all that out.   It will be interesting to see how it handles that.

TheC64 Maxi reads file extensions to know what type of file it is but more important they have flag settings that allow you to set information that is needed for that particular game. Things like what joystick port is needed to play the game, is it in PAL video format. Is it Vic20 or C64 system, etc, etc. It doesn't care what order they are given or how many. Just that its logical, (i.e. Cant have c64 and Vic20 flags at same time.)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2023346/Retro-Games-Thec64.html?page=67#manual

I imagine they are going to do the same thing. 

Yes you have to do it yourself but once set your good to go forever so its nice.

Edited by aileronster
  • Like 1

@aileronster - I use that and it works great for carousel games and if you are using a replacement for that it's fine (that allows more games in the FE) in my experience.

But for loading off usb I have over 3K games/demos so setting up that data (creating a CJM file) for each is a no go, and editing every file name is likewise a LOT of work 🙂

But to be honest just loading out side the carousel and then using the menu to set value sis pretty easy...

sTeVE

On 1/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, zzip said:

We need to get these 400 styled USB keyboards back in production:

I was just looking around, and you can order a keyboard with custom keycaps for under $100.  It would be awesome to get one with keycaps specifically set up for use with an emulator.  Or on the cheap side, someone could sell a sticker set.  (I'm now remembering those Word Perfect templates we used above the function keys on PCs in the late 80s and early 90s.  I even had a keyboard with a built-in holder for them with several cards included for popular programs.)

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 11:59 AM, NISMOPC said:

Now says 8 - If you look at the pictures of it, the lower corner appears to be a small button. Fire button, 4 on the ring, 2 on the top and the corner button = 8 buttons.

About this item

• 8-button USB joystick (1.8 m cable)

61EMVL+LK7L._SL1500_.jpg

That thing is going to be a mess. Way too many tiny buttons.

On 1/17/2024 at 1:03 PM, MrFish said:

Something like this might work well for extra keys, instead of a full keyboard.

They're programmable. Although having so few keys might make it tough to cover key variations for a lot of games without some reprogramming; but, I'm sure there are some similar available with more keys. And I think 12 keys would certainly cover a lot of games -- since there are a lot of keys commonly used among games (<space>, <enter>, etc.).

keypad.thumb.png.760959231e483c2ede628b1db2409e64.png

12 Key Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

This makes more sense. As much of a fan I am of the good ole CX10/40, it's time perhaps to make something new.

Or maybe make it compatible with existing USB controllers that have enough extra buttons, like Xbox, etc. but an Atari branded one too that can be mapped. Use buttons and the second joystick for those extra keys needed.

Or a controller with a 10-key on it with overlays. Joystick, 10-key, two good action buttons maybe... An evolution of the 5200/CV/INTV but without the pain.

I know I'll be building something for me for this thing. Nothing wrong with a box that sets on the table with all of this like a NES Advantage or many of the home made controllers here.

Then there is This

image.thumb.png.4fc0cef25098142d27ec977b81caaf5f.png

IF anything, they should put the 10-key and some extra buttons where the membrane keyboard goes. Takes away the look, but what good is a fake keyboard anyway?

On 1/18/2024 at 8:57 AM, zzip said:

We need to get these 400 styled USB keyboards back in production:

Atari 400 - WEMEDIA

Hmmm. cool, but is is a membrane or actual keys?

Edited by Zonie

On 1/22/2024 at 8:58 PM, Irgendwer said:

Here an Apple variant:

AK400.thumb.jpg.dd740c2486fe39786952f705ebb326f6.jpg

Is that real - if so where did you get the stickers??

And how can I get the stickers?

I have a white Atari keycaps sticker set, but it's not the proper lovely 70's colours!

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Is that real - if so where did you get the stickers??

Created them on my own. See:

The picture is real. Had a request from a pal for the "Apple Wireless Keyboard (2011)".

Adaptations and production took quite a while to match my standards.

Not sure if I'm offering a run: International versions, other revisions/dimensions doesn't seem to make worth the effort.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 7:53 AM, XEGS88 said:

Lee,

Berzerk,

Millipede,

Miner 2049er,

M.U.L.E,

Star Raiders II,

Capture the Flag,

Boulderdash,

Yoomp!

Missile Command,

Battlezone,

The Seven Cities of Gold,

Airball,

Crystal Castles,

Henry's House,

Elekta Glide

I'd be surprised if this includes Miner, but not Bounty Bob Strikes Back,  maybe that's one of the unknowns?

Are there veteran Atari coders who develop new games for the 8-bit platform?  In the same manner as the C64 scene.

With the release of the Atari 400 Mini, it'll be great if new titles pop up on the horizon.  If any quality new titles are developed, I'll be happy to buy them from either Steam or Itch.

IMHO "Bristles", "Encounter!" and "Flip and Flop" are a good addition to the already known ones (while I would prefer "Rainbow Walker" instead of the latter).
I find "Basketball" and "Hover Bovver" questionable. While the first offers 4 player action, "Tennis" would be a better choice. Missing "Alley Cat"...

I think Encounter! is a little duplicative of Battlezone.  Asteroids is a great arcade game, but I was never all that impressed with the A8 conversion and they didn't improve it on the 5200, so while it deserves its place, it's still a bit disappointing to see a lukewarm conversion in the lineup. 

And while Centipede and Millipede are both great games, I would have left one of them off in favor of something like Caverns of Mars, for the sake of variety.  Assuming of course that 25 games was a hard limit decided upon for the product.

Overall, though, I'm nitpicking.  It's a good list of games, considering the nightmare that is licensing.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sundance8 said:

Are there veteran Atari coders who develop new games for the 8-bit platform?  In the same manner as the C64 scene.

Here is one video covering some top homebrews, originals and unpublished-but-later-found(?) games. Really, things that shows how the variantions of Atari 8-bit could have games that really shines and sparkles. Guess many more can be added:  

• Like 2