IGNORED

Games of The400 Mini

XEGS88

On 1/27/2024 at 8:28 PM, Giles N said:

AtariBlast would actually pose a few problems to include (for Atari): its heavy use of referencing/allusions to ‘classic’ shmups

Aww, that's probably correct.  Meanwhile people are using AI to make photo-realistic video of living people saying things they didn't - which is apparently "fine and right" before the law?  We certainly live in a ridiculous reality.  And BTW, Ridiculous Reality would be a nice puzzle game to include.  🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rocketfan said:

using AI to make photo-realistic video of living people saying things they didn't - which is apparently "fine and right" before the law? 

It’s probably just a matter of time before laws for using real people as objects in AI-graphics will become much more elaborate and stricter.

However, when it comes to game-content stuff like the things used (and how its used) in AtariBlast, would or shouid be, more comparable to the use of alluding to franchise and brand-things within the fair-use category in everything from game-reviews to fan-art to commentary-sections etc. 

However, as it is now, it would probably not pass. And even if it could pass, but be open to be sued later, it would be risky for the entire 400 Mini project. 

Edited by Giles N

The release date for the 400 Mini is the end of March, only 2 months away.  I would think at this point the units are already manufactured and in shipping containers, or will be very shortly.

You'd think at this point they would be able to publish a finalized list of the included games... yet crickets..?

Edit Never mind - I see that there is now a list of included games:  https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2024/01/24/the400-mini-complete-game-list/

12 minutes ago, LS650 said:

The release date for the 400 Mini is the end of March, only 2 months away.  I would think at this point the units are already manufactured and in shipping containers, or will be very shortly.

You'd think at this point they would be able to publish a finalized list of the included games... yet crickets..?

What, you don’t like surprises?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

What, you don’t like surprises?

A good surprise would be games I really like.  A bad surprise would be a bunch of games I hate.

The side loading of other games should make that point moot, but we don't really have any details about that either...

3 minutes ago, LS650 said:

A good surprise would be games I really like.  A bad surprise would be a bunch of games I hate.

The side loading of other games should make that point moot, but we don't really have any details about that either...

Yeah, I expect loads of trial and error on that last bit, but again, we may be surprised to find that there is a detailed instruction manual that tells us how to set up our USB keys and what file extensions are supported. I’m hoping for less teething problems than the 2600+, though I personally haven’t had many.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LS650 said:

Wasn't the full list posted last week?   Some of the missing games were Flip and Flop & Bristles

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Wasn't the full list posted last week?   Some of the missing games were Flip and Flop & Bristles

Never mind: found one here:   https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2024/01/24/the400-mini-complete-game-list/

I'm actually pretty pleased with that list.  I've played about 18-20 of those games, and they are games I'd want to pay again.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zzip said:

It was posted by @Albert in several threads; but it's been removed now (including quotes of it) for some reason. I suppose it's possible the list is going to be changed some still.

7 hours ago, LS650 said:

Never mind: found one here:   https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2024/01/24/the400-mini-complete-game-list/

I'm actually pretty pleased with that list.  I've played about 18-20 of those games, and they are games I'd want to pay again.

This is the list that was posted by Albert last week.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

Yeah, I expect loads of trial and error on that last bit, but again, we may be surprised to find that there is a detailed instruction manual that tells us how to set up our USB keys and what file extensions are supported. I’m hoping for less teething problems than the 2600+, though I personally haven’t had many.

Just go look at TheC64 and The A500 mini - side loading is simple and file type support is detailed in the manuals with the hardware - expect the same….

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 2:17 PM, Sean_1970 said:

...and what file extensions are supported.

4 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Just go look at TheC64 and The A500 mini - side loading is simple and file type support is detailed in the manuals with the hardware - expect the same….

I posted this in another The400 thread here. So, this is a repost.

If you look at the manual for the TheC64 mini, it has support for the following.

*.d64 (disk)
*.g64 (disk)
*.d81 (disk)
*.d82 (disk)
*.crt (cartridge)
*.tap (tape)
*.t64 (tape)
*.prg (program)
*.p00 (program-compressed)

The emulator is Vice. The list corresponds with the emulator's support.

So, whatever emulator is used by The400 mini should provide something similar.

As said, ATR (disk) & XEX (program) files would be a bare minimum; but, most

Atari emulators also support CAS (tape) & CAR (cartridge), as well as some other 

variations on the four listed: ROM (cartridge-raw)ATX (disk-protected), etc.

There are other file types, but they're all just variations on types listed here. I expect

most Atari emulator file types to be supported, but certainly the first four listed

here -- if TheC64 mini is any indication.

[Note: *.a52 should be the 5200 file type supported.]

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I posted this in another The400 thread here. So, this is a repost.

If you look at the manual for the TheC64 mini, it has support for the following.

*.d64 (disk)
*.g64 (disk)
*.d81 (disk)
*.d82 (disk)
*.crt (cartridge)
*.tap (tape)
*.t64 (tape)
*.prg (program)
*.p00 (program-compressed)

The emulator is Vice. The list corresponds with the emulator's support.

So, whatever emulator is used by The400 mini should provide something similar.

As said, ATR (disk) & XEX (program) files would be a bare minimum; but, most

Atari emulators also support CAS (tape) & CAR (cartridge), as well as some other 

variations on the four listed: ROM (cartridge-raw)ATX (disk-protected), etc.

There are other file types, but they're all just variations on types listed here. I expect

most Atari emulator file types to be supported, but certainly the first four listed

here -- if TheC64 mini is any indication.

[Note: *.a52 should be the 5200 file type supported.]

I see a lot of file renaming in my future 😅

• Haha 1

I am pleased to see the Atari 400 mini release as I owned a 400, and learnt/did all my programming on that.  I also like the idea of just having the Mini on a coffee table just to look at (😁), and play games on the TV easily (rather than on a PC with an emulator).

I would like to have seen some more games included like Jet Boot Jack (Jon Williams), and Up Up and Away (Ringback Software I think), both of which were really original games back in the day.  Although people can add these manually, it would have been nice to see them provided off the shelf as some people won't know how to add games (or won't be bothered).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jetboot Jack said:

The previous devices by Retrogames have included nice manuals with clear instructions on how to access games stored on a usb device - super simple...

sTeVE

That is really good to hear. Looking forward to this 😁

On 1/12/2024 at 4:24 AM, Wrathchild said:

The Seven Cities of Gold seems an odd one as had disk-flipping, building new maps to a map disk and so would be interesting how they'd streamline that for the user?

I think selling custom $30 joysticks and probably custom keyboards or memory and storage expansions etc would be the reason this is being brought to market. Thank goodness for profit motives. It makes many good things happen and possible. Thinking those joysticks may be just the thing for USB on PC Emulations as well? Probably

My big hope would be that they got the timing right on MULE so the humans can get the same number of plots (3 if skillfully done) as computer has such ease accomplishing on a turn. Most emulations humans are challenged to get 2 plots setup on a turn

Edited by Ray Gillman

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, deffroe said:

Had my dispatch confirmation brought forward👍 Amazon was saying arriving by 30th, now arriving Friday.🙏

Mins is saying Saturday, guess bank holiday deliveries aren't a thing up here!