IGNORED

Games of The400 Mini

XEGS88

6 minutes ago, zzip said:

I think so, since the Bruce Lee game shows up in the trailer.   They might not be able to call it "Bruce Lee" for trademark reasons.

That's the assumption I think everyone is making.  But I wonder what went wrong with the original licensing agreement.  Maybe it was for specific platforms, and since this is an emulator, they're afraid the lawyers will consider it a new platform?  Or maybe there was a time limit on the agreement.

6 minutes ago, pcrow said:

That's the assumption I think everyone is making.  But I wonder what went wrong with the original licensing agreement.  Maybe it was for specific platforms, and since this is an emulator, they're afraid the lawyers will consider it a new platform?  Or maybe there was a time limit on the agreement.

Yeah who knows with these things?  Maybe the original agreement entitled Bruce Lee's estate to a cut of the sales, and removing his name and likeness prevents that?

30 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

Without rights issues, i’d just fill it with Synapse games

Following the trail from Synapse Software on Wikipedia, it looks like those would now be owned by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.  I don't see any reference to Atari acquiring the rights, though the rights to the 80s games is likely all a mess at this point, and the companies that own them may not know that they own them or may not know what restrictions or royalties are required.  I'm often surprised by the games being released on the retro consoles like this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I agree that Centipede is on the list as well. The remaining eight games may have some 5200 titles in there -- Space Dungeon, perhaps?

Should have the 5200 version of Centipede, much better than either the computer version or Millipede.

Space Dungeon is awesome, but no chance, its Taito.

• Like 1

Alley Cat would be a great project for a VBXE makeover. 

So would any of the DataSoft releases. Their arcade ports had some of the tightest gameplay of any '80s A8 releases, and it's such a shame that games like Gyruss were so...blocky that the pixellation negatively affected gameplay.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Alley Cat would be a great project for a VBXE makeover. 

So would any of the DataSoft releases. Their arcade ports had some of the tightest gameplay of any '80s A8 releases, and it's such a shame that games like Gyruss were so...blocky that the pixellation negatively affected gameplay.

I'm thinking more of the Datasoft original titles-  221B Baker St, Mercenary, Goonies (w/ name change), Conan (w/ name change).   The arcade games would also need to be licensed from Namco/Sega/Universal etc

• Like 2

I hope Mr Robot is on there :)

I think BBSB is broken on the 3.1.0 core emulation, it was only fixed recently so if they don't make any improvements to the retroarch core that is unlikely to show up

17 minutes ago, zzip said:

I'm thinking more of the Datasoft original titles-  221B Baker St, Mercenary, Goonies (w/ name change), Conan (w/ name change).   The arcade games would also need to be licensed from Namco/Sega/Universal etc

Midday brain fart...I was thinking of Pooyan. PB's games are another story. :)

34 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

Pete of the ThisIsPete channel has published a great overview of the games that are supposed to be included on The 400!

Saw that today.  @pjedavison always does a great and amazing job.  He also has had an extensive looks into the A8's library, as well as the ST.  Anyone who is a fan of either platform needs to check out his channel. 

7 hours ago, zzip said:

If adding your own games is really a feature, then they would need BASIC because some games require it

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of commercial games that could be added that don't require BASIC. Being able to add your own games certainly doesn't require BASIC, though they may include it.

10 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Being able to add your own games certainly doesn't require BASIC, though they may include it.

I saw a post on Facebook from someone on the inside saying it will have Atari BASIC. It's an emulator, after all; so, the inclusion of BASIC is, well, basic. ;)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I saw a post on Facebook from someone on the inside saying it will have Atari BASIC. It's an emulator, after all; so, the inclusion of BASIC is, well, basic. ;)

That's a good point. Assuming a user has a keyboard, they should be in good shape.

I'm too lazy to search & compare ...  a safe bet would be that any games included on their previous minis (c64 etc) are likely canadites for THE400 if an existing Atari version is available.

I'm most curious about the "missing" 4 buttons. (Suppose to have 7 buttons, pics only show 3)  Rumor says they are in the orange control ring, but how would they not be accidentally pressed all the time?

19 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Assuming a user has a keyboard, they should be in good shape.

Depends what they want to do with it. I wouldn't expect many people to sit with one of these things and program. The likely use is for BASIC games, which may or may not require any keyboard input.

5 hours ago, adam242 said:

Alley Cat VBXE would be the killer app that finally convinces me to take the VBXE plunge.

Would be cool. 

Mine would be a faithfull full colour lemmings clone VBXE style. We love the Brundles and Tommings shows us the animation of the lemmings is totally perfect. 

Anyway, we digress from the thread topic. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:36 PM, bfollowell said:

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of commercial games that could be added that don't require BASIC. Being able to add your own games certainly doesn't require BASIC, though they may include it.

Yes, but there are always games that surprise you by requiring BASIC,  like Questron.    I don't see why they wouldn't include a BASIC rom for completeness

47 minutes ago, zzip said:

Yes, but there are always games that surprise you by requiring BASIC,  like Questron.    I don't see why they wouldn't include a BASIC rom for completeness

They will include it - at least based on precedence of their other hardware like TheC64 and TheVIC20 where they have included it...

sTeVE

• Like 1

It depends on what they are trying to do.  The original 400 did not include a basic cartridge, much to my chagrin.  I had to go back to the store with more cash in hand to get "The Programmer" kit, and "The Entertainer" kit, to get Basic and Star Raiders. 

If they are just trying to produce a video game console, they may well not include Basic.  I hope they do include it.

• Like 1