IGNORED

Games of The400 Mini

XEGS88

9 minutes ago, XEGS88 said:

So far I've seen 9 games mentioned out of the 25 built into The400 Mini: 

Lee, Berzerk, Millipede, Miner 2049er, M.U.L.E, Star Raiders II, Capture the Flag, Boulderdash, Yoomp!

Let's speculate on the other 16.

For me, assuming they'll be older classics rather than newer ones, I reckon at least one of the following will feature:

Alley cat

Henry's House

Rescue on Fractalus

Missile Command

Pole position

Dig dug

Keystone Capers

Tapper

Zybex

Draconus

Kikstart

Donkey kong

Pacman

Defender

Dropzone

International Karate

• Like 1

8 hours ago, XEGS88 said:

Lee, Berzerk, Millipede, Miner 2049er, M.U.L.E, Star Raiders II, Capture the Flag, Boulderdash, Yoomp!

I see Star Raiders II mentioned, but surely they'll pack in the original Star Raiders! I always enjoyed The Last Starfighter/Star Raiders II, and it's a decent enough game, but it ain't no Star Raiders. It's hard to imagine selling an Atari mini without the original killer title.

4 hours ago, Geister said:

But what BASIC is packed in?

I wouldn't be surprised to see no BASIC included. I'd say the focus will be on games. That's just my opinion though.

Also, you can find it on atari.com too, and there's a photo slideshow showing games. Assuming all of the ones shown are actually included, we can add Battlezone, The Seven Cities of Gold, Airball, and Crystal Castles to the list of included titles.

https://atari.com/products/atari-400-mini

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, XEGS88 said:

Regarding all the legal BS around licenses I would not be surprised if they do not have a final list yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I see Star Raiders II mentioned, but surely they'll pack in the original Star Raiders!

Unlikely. If the keyboard is not functional (as most of us suspect), supplying a game out of 25 which isn't playable out of the box sounds strange.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Irgendwer said:

Unlikely. If the keyboard is not functional (as most of us suspect), supplying a game out of 25 which isn't playable out of the box sounds strange.

Star Raiders II isn't playable out of the box, unless they remap some of the controls to some of the extra buttons on the joystick. It required keyboard commands as well, five or six different keys if memory serves, so your reasoning really doesn't hold true.

Edited by bfollowell

13 minutes ago, Irgendwer said:

The 7 buttons on the Joystick may overcome the lack of keyboard?

11 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

For me, assuming they'll be older classics rather than newer ones, I reckon at least one of the following will feature:

Alley cat

Henry's House

Rescue on Fractalus

Missile Command

Pole position

Dig dug

Keystone Capers

Tapper

Zybex

Draconus

Kikstart

Donkey kong

Pacman

Defender

Dropzone

International Karate

Missile Command is on the list, pretty sure I saw it in the promo video (briefly)
Forget Donkey Kong, Dig Dug and pacman, Atari don't own the rights to them. Defender and Dropzone are the same game really, my money would be on Dropzone

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

Star Raiders II isn't playable out of the box, unless they remap some of the controls to some of the extra buttons on the joystick.

SR II (remapping seems easily possible):

image.png.8df37d5e99832f7da678e0d8f4e96578.png

SR (remapping to the joystick buttons sounds quite hard/unintuitive):

image.thumb.png.99236608f89334e02a8222e4ef29a23e.png

...but if they plan to include it, I would appreciate the speed-improved version...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irgendwer said:

SR II (remapping seems easily possible):

image.png.8df37d5e99832f7da678e0d8f4e96578.png

SR (remapping to the joystick buttons sounds quite hard/unintuitive):

image.thumb.png.99236608f89334e02a8222e4ef29a23e.png

...but if they plan to include it, I would appreciate the speed-improved version...

It is one of the confirmed games that is supposedly included. Remapping wouldn't really be a concern as anyone interested in trying THE A8 classic would add it themselves if it wasn't included and would add a keyboard. It's still hard to imagine not having it in there though. It'd be like an XBOX Mini not having Halo or an MS-DOS Mini not having Doom.

Updating the list of definites from what people have seen:

Lee,

Berzerk,

Millipede,

Miner 2049er,

M.U.L.E,

Star Raiders II,

Capture the Flag,

Boulderdash,

Yoomp!

Missile Command,

Battlezone,

The Seven Cities of Gold,

Airball,

Crystal Castles,

Henry's House,

Elekta Glide

That's 16 so 9 more to guess.

I wonder if Hardball could be one as Atari owns that now. There's a few others in the Atari 50 collection that could be included too. Maybe Food Fight (although I hope not as the XEGS version so much worse than the 7800 one)

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Let's hope they're paying for the use of modern releases intended as freeware.

As it was already a part of "Atari 50: the Anniversary Celebration", I think so.

Browsing through the list of A800 games there, we could expect "Caverns of Mars" and "Bounty Bob Strikes Back" too...

7 hours ago, bfollowell said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see no BASIC included. I'd say the focus will be on games. That's just my opinion though.

If adding your own games is really a feature, then they would need BASIC because some games require it

4 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

The Seven Cities of Gold seems an odd one as had disk-flipping, building new maps to a map disk and so would be interesting how they'd streamline that for the user?

Probably came as part of the MULE deal.   It will be interesting how they deal with multiple disks.

2 hours ago, XEGS88 said:

I wonder if Hardball could be one as Atari owns that now.

That would be a great choice!