IGNORED

Who here thinks the Atari 400 mini was a good idea ?

JPF997

I think a lot  more people would be excited if it was an 800  or XE mini instead of the 400, I mean prior to researching about Atari stuff on the internet I never even knew the 400 was a real thing, the few people that even know/remember  that Atari once made computers mostly only remember the ST and the 800XL not the 400. What do you guys think?  Do you agree with me that  there would  probably be a lot more buzz around this mini  system if they had chosen one of the more popular models of the Atari 8 bit family instead of the 400?

https://retrogames.biz/products/the400-mini/

Edited by JPF997
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Where it matters is It can emulate any Atari 8-bit system from the 5200 to 128K 130XE.

I think the reason the 400 design was chosen because it's the most unique design in the 8-bit line, so it's a little more iconic I guess.   And the keyboard isn't functional, so being membrane doesn't matter.

• Like 14

Oh and one other upside is the 400 and 800 are the only models with 4 joystick ports,  and the 400mini comes with MULE, one of the best 4-player games!   A lot of us XL/XE owners have always wanted to get a 4-player MULE game going but couldn't :)

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Do you agree with me that  there would  probably be a lot more buzz around this mini  system if they had chosen one of the more popular models of the Atari 8 bit family instead of the 400?

No, the 400 was a good choice. Since it is a mini console less than half the size, going with the 400 might even work for people unaware of the membrane PC. Being the first Atari PC means that next Christmas they can release an 800 mini followed by an 800 XL/XE mini if it sells well enough. If people really love their plastic, perhaps also an Atari 410 fake tape deck and 1050 with sd-card reader slot (and fake sd-card micro adapter to 5.25 sleeve). 

Agree with @zzip that a fake membrane keyboard is probably easier to manufacture than a bumpy keyboard. Probably makes getting it out of the plastic mold injectors is easier.

I like that MULE is going to be available , but cannot think of many other 4-player games on the system. (George of the Jungle, Thank God It’s Friday, … ?)

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, zzip said:

Where it matters is It can emulate any Atari 8-bit system from the 5200 to 128K 130XE.

I think the reason the 400 design was chosen because it's the most unique design in the 8-bit line, so it's a little more iconic I guess.   And the keyboard isn't functional, so being membrane doesn't matter.

"Most unique design" that honor goes to the 1200, now that is a beauty 😘

image.thumb.png.06324a646f6d072f548b9a02aebe0f80.png

Edited by JPF997
  • Like 9

I like the choice to use the 400.  I never owned an Atari computer growing up, but I was aware of them.  Looking at the entire lineup with no nostalgia, I think the 400 is the best choice for a plastic case holding an emulation device.  It looks interesting and totally unlike other computers.  It also has a bit of a console vibe which may help some shoppers decide it can play games ok.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

"Most unique design" that honor goes to the 1200, now that is a beauty 😘

image.thumb.png.06324a646f6d072f548b9a02aebe0f80.png

The XL line is my personal favorite, but apart from the two-tone coloring, it isn't that much different than other 8-bit computers of the 1980s

The Atari 400 is late-1970s styling, before the world agreed on what a home computer SHOULD look like..  that's what makes it more unique.

• Like 8

400.  My first Atari, so I am biased.  It was quite well known in the UK and was a natural choice for Retro Games Ltd to make.  It's design is iconic and fairly easy to reproduce and it will be a good machine to produce full-size in 2025.

ZX Spectrum will probably be next, again, because of its popularity in the UK.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

I like that MULE is going to be available , but cannot think of many other 4-player games on the system. (George of the Jungle, Thank God It’s Friday, … ?)

Castle Crisis (Warlords) for the 8-bit and 5200. Ratcatcher supports three players.  RealSports Curling supports up to eight players. 

..Al

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, zzip said:

Oh and one other upside is the 400 and 800 are the only models with 4 joystick ports,  and the 400mini comes with MULE, one of the best 4-player games!   A lot of us XL/XE owners have always wanted to get a 4-player MULE game going but couldn't :)

Having four joystick port's is definitely a plus for this model, overall I think this is still going to be a good system to own,  I'm probably going to get one of  these down the line.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

ZX Spectrum will probably be next, again, because of its popularity in the UK.

I'm genuinely surprised that it hasn't been done. The humble speccy was huge in the UK and parts of Europe. The games of course would be the issue, there's tens of thousands of the things and licensing them would be a complete nightmare.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zzip said:

The XL line is my personal favorite, but apart from the two-tone coloring, it isn't that much different than other 8-bit computers of the 1980s

The Atari 400 is late-1970s styling, before the world agreed on what a home computer SHOULD look like..  that's what makes it more unique.

My vote for "most unique design" goes to the XEGS

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JPF997 said:

I think a lot  more people would be excited if it was an 800  or XE mini instead of the 400,

Do you agree with me that  there would  probably be a lot more buzz around this mini  system if they had chosen one of the more popular models of the Atari 8 bit family instead of the 400?

Atari is working it's way through their timeline...

...and the 400 is getting PLENTY of news articles and attention- as well as sales.

Amazon U.S. shows 700+ sold, UK shows 600+, DE shows 300+

And it was only announced last Friday- and wasn't on Amazon until after that....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zzip said:

I think the reason the 400 design was chosen because it's the most unique design in the 8-bit line, so it's a little more iconic I guess.

It's also THE FIRST ONE. They also went for the first version of the 2600 for the 2600+, right?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

It's also THE FIRST ONE. They also went for the first version of the 2600 for the 2600+, right?

Was the woodgrain version ever called 2600?  I thought the woodgrain console was always called the Video Computer System or VCS.  And the 2600 name came when they redesigned the console to look more like the 5200.

The 400 and 800 computers are effectively the same computer. Iirc, the 400 was mainly different because it used cheaper components (like a membrane keyboard) and lacked some accessories ports.

As for good idea? Uh, people do remember Atari computers, so maybe? Also if Atari continues pnp systems, they have only up to go right? I just don't recall how popular the 400-800 computers were, I know of them, but know nothing relevant about them, like how many sold, how many games, etc. I had a 64, and millions sold, and there's something like 15000 games made for it. Uh, no, I only ever had about 100 titles myself.

Also, mule? How did they pull that off, I'm thinking that's electronic arts title. But a great choice for a multiplayered game.

3 minutes ago, Video said:

Also, mule? How did they pull that off, I'm thinking that's electronic arts title. But a great choice for a multiplayered game.

We're thinking the rights reverted to Ozark Softscape, the developer...   Another Ozark game "Seven Cities of Gold" appear to be on the 400mini as well

5 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

Was the woodgrain version ever called 2600?  I thought the woodgrain console was always called the Video Computer System or VCS.  And the 2600 name came when they redesigned the console to look more like the 5200.

Yeah Atari started to use the 2600 name in 82 after they released the 5200.   It was Video Computer System before that.    That was when they were still releasing woodgrain and vader models

39 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

If you count switches,  the six switchers came before the four-switcher the 2600+ is based on.   Also I think the Sears Telegame console might have come first?   Telegames was a six switcher with a silver panel across the top instead of black and the woodgrain pattern was different.   The four switcher might have been the first model Atari called the 2600 instead of VCS though.

• Like 4

No matter which one they picked someone would be complaining.  If they'd gone with for example, the 800,  I think it had a more commanding presence,  but then people would be harping on a non-functional keyboard.  Personally I like the 400,  but I think an Atari  5200 would be neato.  And I'm sure they liked that one right up until they remembered the joysticks...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

No they didn't , they went with the early 80s four switch model for the 2600+ instead of the original six switch model.

Edited by JPF997
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Well it was before the Jr., sure,  but you had the Heavy Sixer,  the Light Sixer, Then the 4 switch...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, juansolo said:

I'm genuinely surprised that it hasn't been done. The humble speccy was huge in the UK and parts of Europe. The games of course would be the issue, there's tens of thousands of the things and licensing them would be a complete nightmare.

Amstrad bought Sinclair and that was folded into BSkyB, the ROMs were made publicly available for free years ago - licensing, if needed would be simple.  The games, well, they don't need to license thousands of games - just the selection they would include.  My own thought is various attempts in the past at the Spectrum commercially such as the Vega have been disappointing, and there are plenty of Spectrum choices out there at various price points.  But it was known some time ago RGL had interests in Atari and the Spectrum.  With two fullsize machines slated for release in 2025, the small form factor of the Spectrum makes it almost a no-brainer.

Two of the people at RGL were involved in creating the Spectrum Vega, even going so far as to make the Vega Plus prototype before leaving the project due to internal disagreements. I don't think they'll be in much inclined to get involved in that scene again, given how badly things turned out. In any case, there's now the Spectrum Next, created by an entirely different team, that's catering to those looking for a modern take on Sinclair hardware. Not splitting an already niche market seems the right thing to do to me.

As for the 400 Mini, I think it's fine from an aesthetic point of view. If they ever make a full size one with a working keyboard, they had better base it on the 800 though.

• Like 1

Won't be the 800.  They don't do a mini of one thing and then a maxi of something else.  The original 800 cost a fortune in the UK, the 400 is what most Atari kids had until the later models came out.  They will do a Sinclair, RGL got the rights to it and Atari a while ago. It was along with the C64 the top home computer in the UK for many years and because of it's size, a mini can be skipped entirely.  Actually the "phase 2" roadmap was already announced, only one more mini was slated - we now know that's the 400 mini - for the rest of this year and 2025 it's all fullsize systems.  If by this time in 2026 I was wrong, I'll owe you a beer.

• Like 1

They made a maxi of the VIC-20 without doing a mini, so there's one exception to mull over. All these devices are essentially the same inside anyway barring minor revisions, it's just the case and software that varies.

I just can't see the point of making a replica 400 with a working keyboard when it's so meh that you're going to need to use a USB one for anything half-serious.