IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

Just now, BassGuitari said:

(Maybe it's been longer than I realize? 🙃

Probably, I seem to recall it being out of my budget range when I got my 7800 back in like 2016. So it was probably consistently over $25 by then.

I think the price of anything remotely collectable shot up when Covid hit, everything is just now coming back to earth.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

I can't imagine there's been that big an influx of new 7800 collectors in the last couple of years, but I could be wrong.

(Maybe it's been longer than I realize? 🙃

7800 cart prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of months; I can only assume it is the new influx of Plus owners.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes. 

image.thumb.png.be75136a49c924129445a6058d5ecdad.png

It would be great if the website indicated instructions. Right now it just says cartridge only in the box. I'd order these immediately, especially Ninja Golf, if it was complete with instructions.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

7800 collectors in the last couple of years, but I could be wrong.

I started to buy 7800 cartridges immediately when Atari announced 2600+ and got still a few very good deals. Now, the prices went crazy. 

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

Another vote for 1942. I love this game and it’s one of my favorite vertical shooters. This would be quite a win for the homebrew community to get an official license for it. 

Another vote from me for 1942 !

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LS650 said:

7800 cart prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of months; I can only assume it is the new influx of Plus owners.

I guess things can change fast!

Case in point/timely anecdote: I bought a copy of Alien: Resurrection for PlayStation back around Thanksgiving. A few days later some YouTuber released a video about a previously unknown "boot disc" feature buried in the game, and I thought "Funny timing, I just got the game!" but didn't give it much thought besides. Fast forward to Saturday morning; I visit the shop I bought it from (I hadn't been by since) and the owner tells me that a week after I bought the game, he started getting all kinds of inquiries about it. Apparently the value shot through the roof after that video came out and--we suspect--people are looking for copies to flip. Recent sold listings are as much as three to four times what I paid just in November. 😬

(No, I'm not flipping mine! I suppose I'm probably stupid not to, but I'd wanted the game for a while since I'm a huge fan of the Alien movies, so I'd end up buying it back later anyway, probably for more than I paid for the copy I have now even if/when the price crashes back down.)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It would be great if the website indicated instructions. Right now it just says cartridge only in the box. I'd order these immediately, especially Ninja Golf, if it was complete with instructions.

All three games announced today come with instructions. Thanks 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I was a Mercs guy.

I do have a relationship with Capcom. But Im unsure the value of the deal will pass a threshold. I'll ask him though tomorrow.

Anything else Capcom published on 2600 /7800?

Data East did the port to the 7800 for Commando, seems from cover-pictures, Data East did the 2600 port, and Activision released it.

Capcom owns of course the rights to Commando, but whether Data East have some kind of ownership (still) to their port(s), I dunno.

Edited by Giles N

1 minute ago, Giles N said:

Data East did the port to the 7800 for Commando (not sure about the 2600).

Capcom owns of course the rights to Commando, but whether Data East have some kind of ownership (still) to their port(s), I dunno.

yeah, one licensee is tricky enough, two wanting a slice of a small pie, makes me think its tricky, I'll ask though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

yeah, one licensee is tricky enough, two wanting a slice of a small pie, makes me think its tricky, I'll ask though.

Very nice you try! 👍🏻

Does Atari or Plaion have the means to get Midnight Mutants out again?

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

The only problem with Midnight Mutants would be Al Lewis's likeness on the artwork and in the game.

Yeah - this one seems to have kept this unique title firmly in the game-grave for a long, long time.

Perhaps doing a licensing agreement where it is proper, or get the guys at Digital Eclipse to do some re-drawing? 

(I could do the drawing for free, but Gramps would end up looking like a dog)

Edited by Giles N

16 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Data East did the port to the 7800 for Commando, seems from cover-pictures, Data East did the 2600 port, and Activision released it.

Sculptured Software did the port of Commando for the 7800, not Data East.

• Thanks 1