IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

28 minutes ago, John Van Ryzin said:

Must be that this retro business is a super small market, and does not inspire taking risks on new games.

It does seem like Atari is growing into a new market with people in their 50s with money to spend, paving the way for future waves.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Van Ryzin said:

I am thinking playing and buying the same old games is boring.

Me too. I am hopeful to see more new cartridges, even if just via AtariAge.

I know a specific Atari 2600 sequel that deserves a physical cartridge release...

9 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Then why are you here on this entire website dedicated to old games?

I loved H.E.R.O. As a kid in 1984. Genuinely, it was my favorite 2600 game. 

They say “Never meet your heroes”, now I understand why.

Sorry to disappoint you.  I think Atari missed the boat on new home brew games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Van Ryzin said:

Sorry to disappoint you.  I think Atari missed the boat on new home brew games.

I think you’re assuming this way too early in the game. Atari as a corporation and a brand have far more to risk, legally, than some random dude in his garage coding home brew games and buring EPROMs. 

I would be willing to bet nearly all of the games they removed from this site will return once the get all the proper licensing worked out. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Van Ryzin said:

So the new Atari removes games like HALO demake and you think that is great?  You did not even understand my post.

I do not understand that one. I thought Halo 2600 was completely on the up and up as far as any copyright legalities. I still think Atari should release Alien Ambush on cartridge.

Just now, John Stamos Mullet said:

There are thousands of glassing gaming stores, and eBay.

I've been using eBay for decades.  Never have I found a 7800 controller for literal pennies, not even 20+ years ago.

I'm not familiar with the term "glassing gaming stores."  A couple of different searches didn't reveal anything, either.  What is a glassing gaming store?

H.E.R.O. is also my favorite Atari game. When I was a kid I wanted a NES with Super Mario Bros like all my friends had, but my parents could only afford to buy me a used Atari 7800 and one of the games was H.E.R.O. and in my mind it was the closest I could get on an Atari to an experience where you move a character around and explore a vast world like Super Mario Bros, so I loved it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, akator said:

I've been using eBay for decades.  Never have I found a 7800 controller for literal pennies, not even 20+ years ago.

I'm not familiar with the term "glassing gaming stores."  A couple of different searches didn't reveal anything, either.  What is a glassing gaming store?

It was a typo that autocorrect made worse, and you already knew that. 

17 minutes ago, akator said:

When the Atari 7800 was still being sold in stores, additional Pro-Line joysticks retailed for $18.95 which is $39 adjusted for inflation. 

there are more than a dozen prolines on eBay right now for $10-15. Literally one quarter the price they were new, adjusted for inflation. But ok. 

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

10 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

It was a typo that autocorrect made worse, and you already knew that. 

LOL, for some reason that didn't cross my mind.  Classic gaming stores makes a lot more sense, I thought "glassing gaming stores" was some kind of new term I wasn't familiar with.

The best 7800 controller I've ever had at any price is a Genesis controller with an adapter.  I love the Mega 7800.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Van Ryzin said:

I have no control over that.  Atari made me believe they would release it.  Has been over a year and I have no deal offer with Atari or Atari age.

I'm still very much interested in publishing it, and doing so this year (would make a great release for the Portland Retro Gaming Expo). 

..Al

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I think you’re assuming this way too early in the game. Atari as a corporation and a brand have far more to risk, legally, than some random dude in his garage coding home brew games and buring EPROMs. 

I would be willing to bet nearly all of the games they removed from this site will return once the get all the proper licensing worked out. 

I made a new game, is verified by an expert to not infringe on Activision IP or designer style rights and Atari did nothing with it.  So I am not drunk, I am just pissed off that I cannot share a new game that makes me almost nothing.  

10 minutes ago, John Van Ryzin said:

I have no control over that.  Atari made me believe they would release it.  Has been over a year and I have no deal offer with Atari or Atari age.

I am hopeful @Ben from Plaion might recognize that a follow-up game to H.E.R.O. would be wonderful PR for the 2600+. This deserves to get out as an official Atari release! It blows the doors off Run and Jump, which isn't bad, but isn't Alien Abduction. It's only the spiritual successor to everyone's favorite Atari 2600 game!

3 minutes ago, John Van Ryzin said:

I made a new game, is verified by an expert to not infringe on Activision IP or designer style rights and Atari did nothing with it.  So I am not drunk, I am just pissed off that I cannot share a new game that makes me almost nothing.  

Well maybe you should address that with Atari directly like a professional instead of airing your dirty laundry on a web forum where people come to enjoy these games.

at least make a new thread so you don’t derail this one with your complaints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, MrZarniwoop said:

I am hopeful @Ben from Plaion might recognize that a follow-up game to H.E.R.O. would be wonderful PR for the 2600+. This deserves to get out as an official Atari release! It blows the doors off Run and Jump, which isn't bad, but isn't Alien Abduction. It's only the spiritual successor to everyone's favorite Atari 2600 game!

Seems Atari and AtariAge think otherwise.  I presented the game to them over a year ago.  

1 minute ago, John Van Ryzin said:

Seems Atari and AtariAge think otherwise.  I presented the game to them over a year ago.  

lol.

Albert literally just said he hopes to do that later this year IN THIS THREAD. He runs Atari Age. He’s also extremely busy. Most people who ordered games months ago still haven’t received them because he was overwhelmed with orders in the middle of negotiating a deal with Atari. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Well maybe you should address that with Atari directly like a professional instead of airing your dirty laundry on a web forum where people come to enjoy these games.

at least make a new thread so you don’t derail this one with your complaints.

Ha!  I did.  I also asked Albert to delete my AtariAge account so I could not complain and he did not. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

He’s also extremely busy. Most people who ordered games months ago still haven’t received them because he was overwhelmed with orders in the middle of negotiating a deal with Atari. 

I think it's fair to stop giving JVR a hard time. He wrote a new Atari 2600 homebrew game that's pretty amazing, right? Atari is pretty clearly still figuring out what they do for a living, with a new young CEO that appears to be giving us everything we've ever bitched about. AtariAge (Albert) at this point is just trying to meet his pre-Atari commitments. Rather than turning JVR off from this community because of piracy or explaining that he's not genuflecting enough to the whims of nostalgia, let's recognize him for what he's done: a proper follow-up to one of the best 2600 games back in the day.

• Like 2