IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I like both the Gen X Grown Up and John Hancock channels, I watch pretty much all their stuff. Good videos guys. :)

(I won’t say which channel I prefer, as I know you both appear on here from time to time. :P)

However watching both videos the main thing that really stood out was how dismissive of the manuals they both were! I found it so odd coming from two OG retro guys, it seemed really out of character. I would like to say that when it comes to this point I don’t feel that they are representative of the Atari buying community, I would think that well over half of the buyers would be much more pleased to see the inclusion of manuals*.... Just guessing that the majority will be more pleased than these two, perhaps I am wrong, but either way a strange quirk that they both glossed over the manuals.

@Ben from Plaion PLEASE DO NOT TAKE NOTE, people are happy that you have gone to the extra effort and expense to now include manuals. Thank you.

*I am not saying that they were not pleased at all, but they didn’t show much love in their videos. This was something I noticed, before anyone cries I am not trashing them for having an opinion, just surprised that their opinion appeared to be 'Meh, manuals', moreso Genx Jon TBF.

I don't understand the obsession over paper manuals either. Not only is it bad for the environment, it's information that's already been collected into a pdf for every game, that you can read on your phone, and if you're a real hardcore player you rarely have to reference it anyway, you know which game modes you should play in (hint: Berzerk is GAME 3). 

However, I know this is an unpopular opinion. I think they just lie around, creating clutter, and waste precious trees. 

I'm not a real big fan of people that keep packaging tho, it's hoarding type behavior to me. Gauntlet thrown. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I don't understand the obsession over paper manuals either. Not only is it bad for the environment, it's information that's already been collected into a pdf for every game, that you can read on your phone, and if you're a real hardcore player you rarely have to reference it anyway, you know which game modes you should play in (hint: Berzerk is GAME 3). 

I love physical games and especially manuals.  These used to be an art back in the day, lots of incredible packaging was created for games in the 80s (look at the Ultima and Infocom series, for instance).  I'm glad to be able to continue publishing games in physical form.  These games aren't sold in huge numbers, and paper is easily recycled if people get tired of looking at their physical games (the manual, box, and box insert are all paper).  

..Al

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I like both the Gen X Grown Up and John Hancock channels, I watch pretty much all their stuff. Good videos guys. :)

(I won’t say which channel I prefer, as I know you both appear on here from time to time. :P)

However watching both videos the main thing that really stood out was how dismissive of the manuals they both were! I found it so odd coming from two OG retro guys, it seemed really out of character. I would like to say that when it comes to this point I don’t feel that they are representative of the Atari buying community, I would think that well over half of the buyers would be much more pleased to see the inclusion of manuals*.... Just guessing that the majority will be more pleased than these two, perhaps I am wrong, but either way a strange quirk that they both glossed over the manuals.

@Ben from Plaion PLEASE DO NOT TAKE NOTE, people are happy that you have gone to the extra effort and expense to now include manuals. Thank you.

*I am not saying that they were not pleased at all, but they didn’t show much love in their videos. This was something I noticed, before anyone cries I am not trashing them for having an opinion, just surprised that their opinion appeared to be 'Meh, manuals', moreso Genx Jon TBF.

I hear you on that one! They are all about collecting and the manuals are part of it! Good point!

• Like 2

It's like collecting records and cd's.  Many music lovers like the idea of having the artifact over just a folder of digital files.  Looking at the album artwork, and reading about the album is something people like to do.  I like having all of my cartridges complete with manual and box.  If I ever get a large enough space again, I would love to set them all up on bookshelves and have a physical 'library' of games set up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I not only show the manual but compare the manual to the original and state that it looks better.    As for being pleased that Atari is including manuals, I personally expect this from any boxed copy of a game to have one.    I don't agree with your opinion of me glossing over the manual in my video, but that is fine if you think I needed to cover it more.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

I not only show the manual but compare the manual to the original and state that it looks better.    As for being pleased that Atari is including manuals, I personally expect this from any boxed copy of a game to have one.    I don't agree with your opinion of me glossing over the manual in my video, but that is fine if you think I needed to cover it more.   

Hi John,

I am glad you're enjoying the new manuals. 

TBF I did add at the bottom of my post that my comments are more directed towards Gen X Jon than yourself, and I did see that you compared the colour manual to the old mono one, which I liked. 

I felt that you could have taken a closer look at the manuals as they are the big change compared to the first batch of 2600 Plus games. 

I need to clarify here that I did enjoy both videos, I just felt that I needed to put it out there to Atari that the manuals are not a trivial addition and are appreciated as they have taken additional work and budget to produce.

This was the purpose of my comments, a message to Atari/Plaion/Ben. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Hi John,

TBF I did add at the bottom of my post that my comments are more directed towards Gen X Jon than yourself, and I did see that you compared the colour manual to the old mono one, which I liked. 

I felt that you could have taken a closer look at the manuals as they are the big change compared to the first batch of 2600 Plus games. 

I need to clarify here that I did enjoy both videos, I just felt that I needed to put it out there to Atari that the manuals are not a trivial addition and are appreciated as they have taken additional work and budget to produce.

I get what you are trying to say.  There are so many things that someone can cover about these products.   I get sent a box and have to do the best to cover so many aspects of everything.   I personally just look at the rereleases as a great budget option to pick up some new 7800 games.    Others see it differently and that is fine.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Albert said:

(look at the Ultima and Infocom series, for instance).

I used to LOVE opening up the infocom games and seeing what the pack-ins were.

if atari is serious about this retro stuff, maybe they should revive infocom and text adventures in general!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, swlovinist said:

I get what you are trying to say.  There are so many things that someone can cover about these products.   I get sent a box and have to do the best to cover so many aspects of everything.   I personally just look at the rereleases as a great budget option to pick up some new 7800 games.    Others see it differently and that is fine.   

And you (and other Jon) do a great job of covering the things in boxes. 😊

Yep, they are a great alternative to classic carts, as they are now complete with manuals... who needs to buy Ninja Golf for £200 plus? Take that eBay scalpers! I'll pay £30 thanks. 🖕🏻🤣

• Like 4

21 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Snap!

Great minds think alike. 

IMG_20240605_194141.thumb.jpg.c7268d856ad1ce704edab539693a16f5.jpg

I have separate binders for original and homebrew games. I also have a binder for all of my consoles and accessories manuals.

23 hours ago, Albert said:

I love physical games and especially manuals.

There’s nothing better than popping a cart into a console. The manuals are a must. BITD, we all read them at least once, on the car ride back from Toys R Us, etc.🙂

IMG_5102.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I love the manuals, and the box art, etc. for the purpose of nostalgia, and getting me in the mood to play.

But what I object to is the collector gouging pricing of these things, not based on actual rarity or artistic significance, but on the knowledge of the sellers and their abuse of consumers who have no self control. It’s gross exploitation. 

Also - while the artwork that exists on these carts and boxes is indeed “art” in the technical sense, these are mass produced consumer grade “art” and that doesn’t infer some high priced intrinsic collector’s value, because they aren’t really rare, and aren’t unique. You can’t really compare a one of a kind Van Gogh or Rembrandt to a video game box that was reproduced 100,000 times and sold for $10 or $20 originally. They’re more akin to a print you can buy in the art museum gift shop for a few bucks.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 3:54 PM, JetmanUK said:

Hi John,

Jetman, 

I too love the manuals and am glad Atari/Plaion (Ben) listened and included them. Immortal John did a great job of comparing the two manuals.  I did like that feature.  I also agree with you that GenX glossed over the manuals, but (as an avid viewer, I'm sure you know) he always tosses manuals for everything.  So, it's kind of in his character not to focus on the manual exclusive.  In fact, I was kind of shocked that he didn't just toss it off-camera like he does everything else.  JK, I know it was important for him to show it for the whole unboxing experience.  This is me just adding to this futile debate.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2024 at 1:22 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

In general, I'd say today's kids - like every generation of kids - has trouble relating to and appreciating "old stuff." They also don't relate well to joysticks like that. A kid would much rather use a phone, tablet, Switch or other modern console to game like their peers. This kind of product is primarily for nostalgic adults.

You'd think that but my son is happy playing 2600, Xbox, or his LeapPad (or his mum's iPad). He doesn't know what is old and what is new and doesn't care - he just likes having fun. The 2600 games are far easier for him to pick up and play, too, and he doesn't get frustrated as quickly as he does with the newer stuff, as he has fewer buttons to learn. LOL. He's five, BTW.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

You'd think that but my son is happy playing 2600, Xbox, or his LeapPad (or his mum's iPad). He doesn't know what is old and what is new and doesn't care - he just likes having fun. The 2600 games are far easier for him to pick up and play, too, and he doesn't get frustrated as quickly as he does with the newer stuff, as he has fewer buttons to learn. LOL. He's five, BTW.

I was speaking in general, but, absolutely, there will always be outliers like your son.

Has anyone received their paddles and/or controller from Amazon, or gotten an update?  I ordered in early Feburary and I was seeing updates under my order with dates, but now it just says "We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date"

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I was speaking in general, but, absolutely, there will always be outliers like your son.

I doubt that he's an outlier. As long as the kids don't know what they are playing is "old and uncool" I doubt that they'd care. There was another retro event here in NZ recently and, as usual, the retro games were super popular with very young kids. I've had other people's kids come over and see me play ancient stuff and instantly want to have a go, too. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 8:38 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

PXL_20240424_192545116.jpg

My Food Fight arrived DOA. My son was upset because his name is Charlie. LOL. The store I bought it from is sending me a replacement free of charge though :D

I like the controller - it's seriously awful, but in a good way - it perfectly mimics the original. lol. Whoever at Atari designed it with the buttons that far apart was hopefully fired back in the day, hahaha. I do quite like the d-pad with the little joystick attached, though - feels great!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MantaNZ said:

My Food Fight arrived DOA. My son was upset because his name is Charlie. LOL. The store I bought it from is sending me a replacement free of charge though :D

I like the controller - it's seriously awful, but in a good way - it perfectly mimics the original. lol. Whoever at Atari designed it with the buttons that far apart was hopefully fired back in the day, hahaha. I do quite like the d-pad with the little joystick attached, though - feels great!

I have played with a CX-78 for many, many years. Never once did the thought of the buttons being too far apart ever once cross my mind.

15 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I have played with a CX-78 for many, many years. Never once did the thought of the buttons being too far apart ever once cross my mind.

Well, that makes sense - you're used to it. I've never used one before but I have used NES and SMS controllers for many years. The buttons are also too far from the edge of the controller IMO. I mean, button one is pretty much smack-bang in the centre...