IGNORED

PiRTO preview - New RTO multicart powered by Raspberry Pico

Sorry but I did more test and version i put in my last post had issue with some other games... version 1.1 definitely doesn't work with games with more than 8/9 map pages (Antartic Tale, Wizard of War, etc.) so use ver. 1.0 if you don't have timing issues with it.

This is the stable 1.1 version, with above caveat. 

PiRTO1.1.ino.uf2

• Like 1

@aotta 

I've tested AT with latest firmware and got it working, however it crashed after stage 4 the first time and just before ending stage 4 at my second try.

It can also be my SECAM Intellivision that is touchy, I do not like this true SCEAM variants, they overheat and aren't stable in the long run.

I have tested on the modified PAL version (converted to SECAM) and with this one it is working fine.

I do not have WoW to be able to test.

If anyone has a Pi RTO from me (or from someone else), the method to upload new firmware is easy:

1. Open the case. For ones from me, remove the 3 screws from the back (there is no 4th screw)
  2. Hold down the button on the Pi PICO. Keep holding it down
  3. Connect the Pi PICO to your computer, with microSD cable
  4. Release the button on the Pi PICO. You should see a window/folder with a couple of "files" in it
  5. Drag the .uf2 firmware file onto the window. The window will disappear. The firmware will be uploaded into the Pi PICO. If you redo the connection (steps 2-4), you won't see your file. This is normal... the window is just a simple way to upload the firmware
  6. Close everything up again, and give it a try
  • Like 2

Thank you @5-11under for the hint, i forgot not all users did Pirto themselves!

I also attach a further version with some speed improvement in code (source is on GitHub), with this i got also AT and WoW working, i tested it only in my Inty II but, as you know, it's easy to update firmware, so you can give a try ;)

PiRTO1.1.ino.uf2

• Like 1

Help ….I bought a cartridge from 5-11 and I’m having issues. Pirto looks like it wants to play but is all garbled and disc on remote is super glitchy. Sometimes the game loads others it’s just hangs, then you turn machine on and sometimes that game will work. I reworked cfg files to right size reloaded cart with the aotta firmware new and old with same results. Maybe this cartridge only works on inty ll ? Any help would be helpful..btw I tried on intel 2609 and sears super video no go my lto flash does work flawlessly on both systems, please any help would be awesome thank you..

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, sanman said:

Help ….I bought a cartridge from 5-11 and I’m having issues. Pirto looks like it wants to play but is all garbled and disc on remote is super glitchy. Sometimes the game loads others it’s just hangs, then you turn machine on and sometimes that game will work. I reworked cfg files to right size reloaded cart with the aotta firmware new and old with same results. Maybe this cartridge only works on inty ll ? Any help would be helpful..btw I tried on intel 2609 and sears super video no go my lto flash does work flawlessly on both systems, please any help would be awesome thank you..

IMG_2249.mov

Did you try the last firmware i published on github? i attach it here for an easy test.

The cartridge is borne for Pal Inty, but i tested it also on SVA and Inty II with no issue (well, the disc is super glitchy but it was designed that's way IMHO ;)

PiRTO1.1.ino.uf2

• Like 1

I know the disc is a little funky, but with pirto cartrige it hesitates sometimes, but as you move the disc it makes the letters disappear. Also something wierd you press the number 1 on keypad it cycles through the game list, you cycle through the game list usually down on the disc. And when your in the game you hit reset and it goes to the begining of the game your playing not the games menu? Seems to me a firmware issue maybe. Let me say i know i bought the cartridge as experimental but would really like to get this cart working. Its a beautitful design nice fit green light but it is what it is.. Just hopeing you guys can give me a hand...Thank you 👍

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, sanman said:

I know the disc is a little funky, but with pirto cartrige it hesitates sometimes, but as you move the disc it makes the letters disappear. Also something wierd you press the number 1 on keypad it cycles through the game list, you cycle through the game list usually down on the disc. And when your in the game you hit reset and it goes to the begining of the game your playing not the games menu? Seems to me a firmware issue maybe. Let me say i know i bought the cartridge as experimental but would really like to get this cart working. Its a beautitful design nice fit green light but it is what it is.. Just hopeing you guys can give me a hand...Thank you 👍

Yes the file manager is not so good and if you press S-E or S-W instead of a clear S on disk it may crash the files list, so you should press "clear" button to reload the root.

But the garbages you shown in the video are a different issue, and it's very strange to me you got same behaviours with both the last firmware i posted here (are you sure you tested it? did you download it from my github? i didn't publish it here before yesterday!) and the one used by 5-1under at first. They use a different timing and bus management, so i expected differents output (and that the last worked also for you, to be honest).

Edited by aotta
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sanman said:

Ok let me try this which firmware do you suggest? link please.... so i dont make a mistake then i will send you a video of the progress...Thanks Sanman

The last 1.1 version is the one i just posted here, but it could be interesting if there are differences on menu with the 1.0 NTSC versions you can find here: https://github.com/aotta/PiRTO/tree/main/Binaries

• Like 1

Ok Aotta i tried every firmware update you posted i think about six of them in Total. I can say that i tried to get 5-11 Pi Rto cartridge to work without any luck. Same effect on all updates garbaled figures on the screen and very glitchy controls. I will definitely try any more suggestions you have. Thank you for your patience. Hopefully one day i can get it to work.

Fingers crossed....

12 minutes ago, sanman said:

Ok Aotta i tried every firmware update you posted i think about six of them in Total. I can say that i tried to get 5-11 Pi Rto cartridge to work without any luck. Same effect on all updates garbaled figures on the screen and very glitchy controls. I will definitely try any more suggestions you have. Thank you for your patience. Hopefully one day i can get it to work.

Fingers crossed....

If you get same effect with six different firmware, it seems it's not a firmware related issue, but an harware ones. In particular, other users got same issues when using not original or fake 74lvc245 level shifters, so may be one of yours is faulty.

That's why i'm working to a new PiRTO II version without level shifter and withouth sdcard, only a pico clone and his 8mb flash ram. It will be simpler and cheaper, i can only suggest you to wait for it.

• Thanks 1

Yup I spoke with a few people here at atari age who had the same problem as me and it all boils down to a Faulty Cartridge. My bad it did say Buy at your own risk. I think 5-11 should hold off on selling these cartridges for ntsc intellivision 2609,2609a. Just my Opinion. Thank you aotta ive got time, let me know when you come up with a pirto ll i'll take one..Sanman

The RTO is a fantastic product for someone who wants to roll their own Intellivision flash cart. Anyone who sells one here or uses this forum to promote the sale of them on another site should do so only if they're fully confident it is functional and willing to back that up with comprehensive support and/or a full refund when something goes wrong. Even a person considering "buy at your own risk" before purchasing would still be justified in expecting a reasonable level of functionality in exchange for their hard earned cash. I got financially burned when I took that risk. I just hope nobody else does. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sanman said:

Yup I spoke with a few people here at atari age who had the same problem as me and it all boils down to a Faulty Cartridge. My bad it did say Buy at your own risk. I think 5-11 should hold off on selling these cartridges for ntsc intellivision 2609,2609a. Just my Opinion. Thank you aotta ive got time, let me know when you come up with a pirto ll i'll take one..Sanman

Of you have a multimeter, you can easily check if the shifters are working or not. Just connect the pi to a computer and look at my video here:

• Like 2

In THT Pirto, other suspect is the SDcard module. For testing it, you should compile and run the "SDcard info" example program bundled with Arduino IDE SDK for Pico, but i must admit it's more a test for power users....

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 8:53 PM, 5-11under said:

If anyone doesn't want to make one for themselves, I've built another batch. They're available at videogamepcbs.com .

Buyer Beware dont waste your money, These cartridges 5-11 is trying to sell.... "Do Not Work! as they should- Super Glitchy" I tried loading every firmware and still do not work. I'm 1 of 4 people i know that ordered from him and all Cartridges Failed. I Just dont want anymore people getting ripped off by this Guy. I tried 2x to talk to him about a refund and of coarse he is ghosting me. Another person i know demanded a refund 5-11 said o.k. and he sent the cartridge back to him and guess what he is ghosting him now no refund as of yet. 5-11 tells you before you purchase by at your own risk well I tried and got xxxxxx. So fair warning think before you by anything off this guy. Sorry for this im not that kind of person to go on about this but i just dont want anymore people getting shafted by him.......     Sanman 

2 hours ago, sanman said:

Buyer Beware dont waste your money, These cartridges 5-11 is trying to sell.... "Do Not Work! as they should- Super Glitchy" I tried loading every firmware and still do not work. I'm 1 of 4 people i know that ordered from him and all Cartridges Failed. I Just dont want anymore people getting ripped off by this Guy. I tried 2x to talk to him about a refund and of coarse he is ghosting me. Another person i know demanded a refund 5-11 said o.k. and he sent the cartridge back to him and guess what he is ghosting him now no refund as of yet. 5-11 tells you before you purchase by at your own risk well I tried and got xxxxxx. So fair warning think before you by anything off this guy. Sorry for this im not that kind of person to go on about this but i just dont want anymore people getting shafted by him.......     Sanman 

True, I need to figure out the refund for someone still. [edit: it's no excuse, but the carts were sent back via UPS, and it cost me $136 CAN in taxes and duty, which should have been free for a repair shipment - I need to figure out some compromise in the refund. These are the only RTOs (the person bought 2) that have been returned back to me, and they worked great when I tested them again.]

I haven't responded to your PM yet, because I'm trying to figure out the best course of action. [edit: it's only been one day since you requested a refund.] The sales site explicitly states that it might not work for everyone's console. Likely I'll just let you return it for a refund regardless of what the website says.

Know, though, that I'm not in the business of ripping people off. There's much better ways and more fun ways if a person wants to do that.