IGNORED

What Atari 2600/7800 game have you been playing the most today?

shane857

5 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Hmmm...What's all this then?

(heh)

Reveal hidden contents

hmmm..

Galaxian Arcade.zip 47.71 kB · 3 downloads

I know this is typical of me but... oh my that red label for hacked adventure with red exchanged for orange is absolutely 😙👌 (chefs kiss) i love it...

makes me wish i had the skill to make such things :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Not to say I don't also love Galaga,  but I usually prefer Galaxian too!  I seem to remember it fondly in those old arcade days,  so maybe that clouds my judgement!

I have and like the Galaxian cart as well, and although I haven't looked in a long time,  I seem to recall that there were numerous hacks (good for a Harmony Cart) of Galaxian,  some of which take away the border...

I had a cart one time before my current cart collection that I made AtariAge make, probably 10 years ago or close to it, without the yellow border and with exchanged sprites to be closer to the arcade.

I lost it however in a move and now have to play the offical release, which is fine. They honestly weren't that much different and the border doesn't really bother me

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

finding THE title to start your day is hard, and sometimes you get sidetracked after finding a really cool homebrew and wanting to make a cool custom label for a custom cart of it!

but i'm thinking... Mario Bros 7800 today?

• Like 2

On 8/1/2024 at 4:17 PM, shane857 said:

My favourite Arcade game back in the day...

I remember my parents taking me and my brother swimming at the local sports centre

After, we would hit the Arcade machines.

In junior high school we had Scramble, Defender and Omega Race arcade games in the soda, snack machine area of the school gym.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

finding THE title to start your day is hard, and sometimes you get sidetracked after finding a really cool homebrew and wanting to make a cool custom label for a custom cart of it!

but i'm thinking... Mario Bros 7800 today?

I know I am late to the party here, but I only just discovered and have been loving playing Fall Down. What a great homebrew game it is! It would be nice to have it on a cart. Try it out if you haven't already.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

In junior high school we had Scramble, Defender and Omega Race arcade games in the soda, snack machine area of the school gym.

Wow!

That's pretty cool!

I only remember one time,  where we had a school dance and they also brought in a couple of arcade games,  set up in the cafeteria for a few hours.  I think I played either Galaxian or Space Firebird...Later on,  when I was in college,  my friend and I set up a couple of games each for a similar function (and got to keep all of the money)...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

I've never played Omega Race. I played Defender back in the day, thou found it too difficult.

My favourite arcade games were Scramble, Phoenix, Gorf and later After Burner and Gauntlet.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I've never played Omega Race. I played Defender back in the day, thou found it too difficult.

My favourite arcade games were Scramble, Phoenix, Gorf and later After Burner and Gauntlet.

Gauntlet II in the arcade was great.

My favorites in the arcade were Gyruss,  Wonderboy, Outrun and Green Beret aka Rush'n Attack🕹

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Gauntlet II in the arcade was great.

My favorites in the arcade were Gyruss,  Wonderboy, Outrun and Green Beret aka Rush'n Attack🕹

I loved Outrun as a child, arcade and the graphically and sonically impressive Spectrum 128K version. Yes it was slow, on some levels, some played well, but it captured the spirit of the game really well. 

I also played the Spectrum version of Green Beret a lot too, but it was really difficult!

Gauntlet, Gauntlet 2 and Gauntlet the deeper dungeons, great memories of playing those at home with friends too.

The Spectrum dominated my gaming childhood, my 2600 was my side gaming device as I didn't have that many games for it, but I always felt very fond of it as it was my first console gaming experience and at a very young age. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I loved Outrun as a child, arcade and the graphically and sonically impressive Spectrum 128K version. Yes it was slow, on some levels, some played well, but it captured the spirit of the game really well. 

I also played the Spectrum version of Green Beret a lot too, but it was really difficult!

Gauntlet, Gauntlet 2 and Gauntlet the deeper dungeons, great memories of playing those at home with friends too.

The Spectrum dominated my gaming childhood, my 2600 was my side gaming device as I didn't have that many games for it, but I always felt very fond of it as it was my first console gaming experience and at a very young age. 

Yeh, me also bro. I recently dug out my 48k+ and i've been slowly going through my game library. Great nostalgia

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

There was a little Arcade in my home town with machines like Donkey Kong or Pole Position but Gyruss was my favorite machine at age of 13.

I did watch how the older guys played that game for extended time before I dared to use my single coin😊

A year later we got locked out from the arcades by German law...

Never had my own Atari but a friend had one and I went there to play the cartridges.

With 14 I had enough money collected from my family and earned the rest by mowing the lawn of a big estate belonging a rich person, so I could buy a C64 and a tape drive. Now I could play games at home but the best part of my young life was still about to happen.

Another huge disco place opened up in my little town, open at Sundays from 2pm for the young people.

Dancing together with black cladded wavers in dry ice fog, chatting with girls and going upstairs to play... arcade machines! I was in heaven😀

Until 8pm I had to be back at home but I had a really good time🤗

And in that place Wonderboy and Outrun became my favorites🕹

• Like 6

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

Today I’m going BERZERK! BERZERK! BERZERK! BERZERK! 

Playing a little BERZERK today! All four versions that I have. Using my Competition Pro Joystick. I find this works really well for Berzerk. I have it seated on a table and it almost feels like an arcade controller.

TRIVIA QUESTION : On what planet did you land on?

The original 2600 Berzerk was always one of my favorites. I enjoy playing on game select 2. Evil Otto can be shot but keeps coming back. It gives me a chance to escape. I rate this game one Evil Otto.

image.jpeg.07a66da2a0d915ff43278ab9eebb3888.jpeg

Berzerk Voice Enhanced I purchased some time ago, played it a bit it didn’t seem much different other than the voice enhancement.

After revisiting this version I realized your character is green as well as Evil Otto. I kinda like that about the game. I rate this game two Evil Otto’s.

IMG_1436.jpeg

Berzerk Enhanced Edition has four differences from voice enhanced that I noticed. More colors Evil Otto is a different color than your character, the score font is changed, robots fire diagonal and robots appear to explode slower. I rate this game three Evil Otto’s 

IMG_1436.jpeg
Frenzey 7800 has two games in one. Frenzey is the sequel to Berzerk and Berzerk which is more like the arcade version. The only downside to this game is when Evil Otto enters, the game pauses for a few seconds. Other than that it’s a great game also featuring two player mode. I rate this game four Evil Otto’s 

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1464.jpeg

IMG_1470.webp

IMG_1471.gif

IMG_1476.webp

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1468.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg

IMG_1474.webp

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1478.webp

IMG_1477.png

IMG_1436.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 7

My copies of Mr Run and Jump and Enhanced Berzerk turned up, complete with Amazon styled box crush, nice!

Mr R&J is bastard difficult, that is all.

Berzerk with added speech is awesome, had an hour of robot destroying goodness with that, a lot longer than most games.

Went bananas in the past couple of weeks and nabbed some of my favourites back in the day, to add to the handful of games I still owned from the 80s/90s! I look forward to trying them all out in good time.

2600+ has really helped breathe some life back into this classic of classic consoles.

• Like 4

Have any of you ever played this old 1970's 2600 game Canyon Bomber? This was one of David Crane's games that he programmed when he was still working at Atari. I had never played Canyon Bomber until a few months ago. It's actually a pretty cool game and the computer is a solid opponent which usually isn't the case with these really old games. It should also be mentioned that Crane did everything in this game with not 4KB but only 2KB of ROM! The guy is an absolute legend and I still say the Atari brass were a bunch of morons to let Crane and so many other leave instead of trying to at least work with them to keep them around. It uses the paddles and if you have a human opponent it would be a real blast to play. I honestly can't remember knowing anybody that owned this game back in the 2600's heyday. In the Atari catalog it just never looked all that appealing to me so I never even considered playing it. 

Canyon Bomber Box.png

Canyon bomber screanshot.jpg

Canyon Bomber screen shot 2.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Have any of you ever played this old 1970's 2600 game Canyon Bomber? This was one of David Crane's games that he programmed when he was still working at Atari. I had never played Canyon Bomber until a few months ago. It's actually a pretty cool game and the computer is a solid opponent which usually isn't the case with these really old games. It should also be mentioned that Crane did everything in this game with not 4KB but only 2KB of ROM! The guy is an absolute legend and I still say the Atari brass were a bunch of morons to let Crane and so many other leave instead of trying to at least work with them to keep them around. It uses the paddles and if you have a human opponent it would be a real blast to play. I honestly can't remember knowing anybody that owned this game back in the 2600's heyday. In the Atari catalog it just never looked all that appealing to me so I never even considered playing it. 

Canyon Bomber Box.png

I only recently started playing this myself. I didn’t own it back in the day for exactly the same reason you mentioned, it didn’t look that appealing. However I did purchase this game some years back but it wasn’t until it was posted in this thread by @JetmanUK, @shane857 or @Intellivision Master that I really had a good look at it and you’re right it is a good game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

HAVE YOU PLAYED ATARI 2600+ TODAY? I HAVE!

Today I’m going BERZERK! BERZERK! BERZERK! BERZERK! 

Playing a little BERZERK today! All four versions that I have. Using my Competition Pro Joystick. I find this works really well for Berzerk. I have it seated on a table and it almost feels like an arcade controller.

TRIVIA QUESTION : On what planet did you land on?

The original 2600 Berzerk was always one of my favorites. I enjoy playing on game select 2. Evil Otto can be shot but keeps coming back. It gives me a chance to escape. I rate this game one Evil Otto.

image.jpeg.07a66da2a0d915ff43278ab9eebb3888.jpeg

Berzerk Voice Enhanced I purchased some time ago, played it a bit it didn’t seem much different other than the voice enhancement.

After revisiting this version I realized your character is green as well as Evil Otto. I kinda like that about the game. I rate this game two Evil Otto’s.

IMG_1436.jpeg

Berzerk Enhanced Edition has four differences from voice enhanced that I noticed. More colors Evil Otto is a different color than your character, the score font is changed, robots fire diagonal and robots appear to explode slower. I rate this game three Evil Otto’s 

IMG_1436.jpeg
Frenzey 7800 has two games in one. Frenzey is the sequel to Berzerk and Berzerk which is more like the arcade version. The only downside to this game is when Evil Otto enters, the game pauses for a few seconds. Other than that it’s a great game also featuring two player mode. I rate this game four Evil Otto’s 

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1464.jpeg

IMG_1470.webp

IMG_1471.gif

IMG_1476.webp

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1468.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg

IMG_1474.webp

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1478.webp

IMG_1477.png

IMG_1436.jpeg

Loved Berzerk in the arcades. The Atari enhanced version is ok. Not much different to the original thou in my opinion.

Some speech which isn't very clear and you can shoot diagonal and also enemies.

Is Frenzy 7800 any better?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Canyon Bomber Box.png

Yeah it's a good game. I've enjoyed playing against the CPU too. A real marvel of programming to get it into  2K. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I only recently started playing this myself. I didn’t own it back in the day for exactly the same reason you mentioned, it didn’t look that appealing. However I did purchase this game some years back but it wasn’t until it was posted in this thread by @JetmanUK, @shane857 or @Intellivision Master that I really had a good look at it and you’re right it is a good game.

I don't own this game. only played it emulated. Does it have 1 player v CPU variations?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Loved Berzerk in the arcades. The Atari enhanced version is ok. Not much different to the original thou in my opinion.

I like Frenzy 7800, it does look closer to the arcade version. The only downside I see is when Evil Otto enters the game pauses for a few seconds otherwise it’s a great game. I’m not sure why it pauses I don’t believe the arcade version does this. If it has to do with voice in the game they should have made the decision to leave it out for a better experience. The voice starts at the same time Evil Otto enters.

The game looks and plays great!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

The cart contains the sequel Frenzy and original Berzerk, which I play most.

It is a very good arcade port with better speech than the 2600 versions.

• Like 3