IGNORED

THECXSTICK joystick performance

chad5200

I was reading some early talk about the THECXSTICK and how the diagonals are touchy.

I was worried that my joystick would have the same problem.  I hate to say it, but it's happening to me too.

Many times when I am trying to push Right, the joystick is registering Right/Down.  Or pushing Left will often register as Left/Down.  It's like the diagonals are extra sensitive.

Anyone else have thoughts around their joystick experiences?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad5200 said:

I was reading some early talk about the THECXSTICK and how the diagonals are touchy.

I was worried that my joystick would have the same problem.  I hate to say it, but it's happening to me too.

Many times when I am trying to push Right, the joystick is registering Right/Down.  Or pushing Left will often register as Left/Down.  It's like the diagonals are extra sensitive.

I have the same experience 😞 

Most noticeable in Lee (Bruce Lee).  Quite often when I try to just go left or right, he is laying down because the lower diagonal is triggering... especially at times when a lot of quick actions are required and those are the worst times for it to happen!

What are the chances this is tunable with a firmware upgrade?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chad5200 said:

My stick is so bad it's basically unusable. Left sometimes works, right barely works. Playing Lee I just duck. 🤷🏻🤬

• Sad 1

This is really bad!

Try this... plug your THECXSTICK joystick into your Windows PC.

Go to Start and type in Set Up USB Game Controllers.  Click on THECXSTICK and go to Properties.

It will bring up this screen:

image.thumb.png.98388124e9be76daede0cb4e2acf48eb.png

Now move the joystick around.

If I push very lightly to the Left or Right, it is fine.  But if I push a little harder to the Left or Right it always ends up going to the Lower Left or Lower Right corner.

Something is very wrong.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, mine is really bad. I was able to get to the halfway point in Bruce Lee but every death was because the stick was not working right. So far I have not gotten any of my other controllers to be recognized by the 400 mini. Have you guys tried any other controllers?

34 minutes ago, CartoonDan said:

Yes, mine is really bad. I was able to get to the halfway point in Bruce Lee but every death was because the stick was not working right. So far I have not gotten any of my other controllers to be recognized by the 400 mini. Have you guys tried any other controllers?

Other controllers made by Retro Games should work, otherwise it’s theoretically possible to configure virtually any USB controller like this: https://retrogames.biz/support/the400-mini/controller-configuration/

I made a file called gamecontrollerdb.txt with the following lines of text:

# Linux
050000007e0500000920000001000000,Nintendo Switch Pro Controller,a:b0,b:b1,back:b8,dpdown:h0.4,dpleft:h0.8,dpright:h0.2,dpup:h0.1,guide:b12,leftshoulder:b4,leftstick:b10,lefttrigger:b6,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightshoulder:b5,rightstick:b11,righttrigger:b7,rightx:a2,righty:a3,start:b9,x:b2,y:b3,platform:Linux,
03000000ff1100004133000010010000,PS2 Controller,a:b2,b:b1,back:b8,leftshoulder:b6,lefttrigger:b4,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightshoulder:b7,righttrigger:b5,start:b9,x:b3,y:b0,platform:Linux,

I put it on the root of my usb stick and started up the 400 mini. The Switch Pro Controller was plugged into the first usb slot and the cx stick was plugged into slot 2. The Pro controller did not work on the menus or after I started a game from the usb stick. 

To anyone who has noticed these directional errors with the controls: Have you perhaps saved in between? I once had a corrupt savegame in Flip & Flop, where the phenomenon with the wrong direction also occurred. No matter how many times I loaded. Otherwise the game works perfectly.

2 hours ago, H.Fraenkel said:

To anyone who has noticed these directional errors with the controls: Have you perhaps saved in between? I once had a corrupt savegame in Flip & Flop, where the phenomenon with the wrong direction also occurred. No matter how many times I loaded. Otherwise the game works perfectly.

Sorry, no.

3 hours ago, H.Fraenkel said:

Nope, it’s not the 400 Mini software that is at fault here.

I did some further testing on my laptop, I am sad to say it's the joystick and I highly doubt that its fixable with software.

To test the stick I used the CCS64 emulator and Bruce Lee, things I am super familiar with. I kept getting the same ducking down issue. In the emulator options you can adjust sensitivity in each axis... I was unable to eradicate the ducking down issue with even the lowest setting (99% for that axis, 100% turns it off). Sorry guys, the stick is duff.

I'd love a replacement, sadly I may have to send the whole package back, which is wasteful, and there's no guarantee that a replacement would include a good joystick.

This issue must be accepted by the manufacturer swifty, with replacements sticks sent to everyone with the problem, but time is ticking on my return to Amazon... It seems my most sensible course of action is to send it all back for a refund and hope for a hardware revision later. Shame.

• Sad 1

This is all a bit concerning, though I have to wonder if it’s a known issue by the manufacturer and accounts for the monthlong delay in production of the standalone stick? Without some clarification from the people making this thing, I can’t see how I wouldn’t cancel my order of the stick on its own, which is a shame as the idea of a USB CX40 is quite appealing for use with one/no button arcade games on MAME. Guess I’ll find out today when I get my mini!

5 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

This is all a bit concerning, though I have to wonder if it’s a known issue by the manufacturer and accounts for the monthlong delay in production of the standalone stick? Without some clarification from the people making this thing, I can’t see how I wouldn’t cancel my order of the stick on its own, which is a shame as the idea of a USB CX40 is quite appealing for use with one/no button arcade games on MAME. Guess I’ll find out today when I get my mini!

I'd steer clear for now.

I hope the one with your 400 Mini is ok.

You do have the option of buying a Mayflash USB joystick adapter, that's what I use with my laptop, Stella and CX40/CX40+. Works flawlessy and is cheaper than buying the stand alone USB stick too.

MAYFLASH SEGA Genesis Mega Drive Controller Adapter for Nintendo Switch & PC Windows SEGA Genesis SEGA MD Adapter MF104: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

You will need to update it to the latest firmware.

16 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I'd steer clear for now.

I hope the one with your 400 Mini is ok.

You do have the option of buying a Mayflash USB joystick adapter, that's what I use with my laptop, Stella and CX40/CX40+. Works flawlessy and is cheaper than buying the stand alone USB stick too.

MAYFLASH SEGA Genesis Mega Drive Controller Adapter for Nintendo Switch & PC Windows SEGA Genesis SEGA MD Adapter MF104: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

You will need to update it to the latest firmware.

Cheers for the steer, but looks like it’s a Windows-only update process, so a non-starter for me I’m afraid. Looks like a PS4 controller should work with the Mini, so I’ll be covered regardless, but if it gets arsey about loading my USB key stuff then that will be a deal-breaker.

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Nope, it’s not the 400 Mini software that is at fault here.

I did some further testing on my laptop, I am sad to say it's the joystick and I highly doubt that its fixable with software.

To test the stick I used the CCS64 emulator and Bruce Lee, things I am super familiar with. I kept getting the same ducking down issue. In the emulator options you can adjust sensitivity in each axis... I was unable to eradicate the ducking down issue with even the lowest setting (99% for that axis, 100% turns it off). Sorry guys, the stick is duff.

I'd love a replacement, sadly I may have to send the whole package back, which is wasteful, and there's no guarantee that a replacement would include a good joystick.

This issue must be accepted by the manufacturer swifty, with replacements sticks sent to everyone with the problem, but time is ticking on my return to Amazon... It seems my most sensible course of action is to send it all back for a refund and hope for a hardware revision later. Shame.

That's interesting, because I've had completely different experiences ... and also tested the joystick with the CCS64 emulator.

Bruce Lee works for me.

However, I had considerable problems with O'Riley's Mine and Hover Bovver. Here, the controls kept cutting out. The character simply stops moving.

These problems do not occur on the CCS64 emulator. Mind you, with the SAME joystick! Since MULE also has some graphics errors and some ROMs loaded via USB zoom the screen so much that you can't see everything, I would rather blame the problem on the sloppy emulation of the THE400.

12 minutes ago, H.Fraenkel said:

That's interesting, because I've had completely different experiences ... and also tested the joystick with the CCS64 emulator.

Bruce Lee works for me.

However, I had considerable problems with O'Riley's Mine and Hover Bovver. Here, the controls kept cutting out. The character simply stops moving.

These problems do not occur on the CCS64 emulator. Mind you, with the SAME joystick! Since MULE also has some graphics errors and some ROMs loaded via USB zoom the screen so much that you can't see everything, I would rather blame the problem on the sloppy emulation of the THE400.

I am glad your stick works with CCS64, it looks like you have a good one. Hopefully an update sorts the other issues for you.

As mine doesn't work correctly with the Mini 400 or Laptop/CCS64 I am affraid I am not so lucky. 

Edited by JetmanUK

9 minutes ago, zzip said:

Wow, I was thinking about ordering CXSTICKS for my emulation box, but sounds like I shouldn't bother

I would hang fire for now.

Of course to be fair we have no idea how widespread the issue is, perhaps they've sold thousands of the things and I, and a handful of others are in a tiny minority, who knows? All I know is that my confidence is lost. Grrrr.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

I purchased both THE400 Mini and an extra THECXSTICK.

The joystick that came with my THE400MINI is bad (diagonal issue).  However, the stand alone extra THECXSTICK is working fine.

Well this is an interesting development.

Do I order a separate stick, do a swap and return the bad one? Hmmm

EDIT:

No can do. I can only return the Mini 400 up to the 28th April and there is no stock of the CXSTICK until the 26th April, with a 27th April arrival estimate. Cutting it a bit too close?

I'd have to sit on the Mini 400 with an unplayable stick for a month then hope the second stick arrives in time, and then works... Then cancel the return and set a new return for the stick. Is it worth me jumping through so many hoops? Talk about souring an experience FFS. 

Most likey return on Tuesday when the Post Office is open again. Meh.

DROPPED BALL BIG TIME

Edited by JetmanUK