IGNORED

THECXSTICK joystick performance

chad5200

4 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Are you shoving the dodgy stick in the CXSTICK box and returning?

I have a month to decide.

Maybe there is something physically wrong with the bad joysticks?  A misalignment of some internal part?

If someone can come up with a fix for this then that would be huge.  Otherwise, this is going to blow up and Atari has a real problem on their hands.

40 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I would hang fire for now.

Of course to be fair we have no idea how widespread the issue is, perhaps they've sold thousands of the things and I, and a handful of others are in a tiny minority, who knows? All I know is that my confidence is lost. Grrrr.

Yeah,  I considered that,  but I haven't seen many posts from people saying it works fine either.

I have opened my cxstick and sadly it is a very cheaply made joystick. The directional "switches" are not switches at all. I don't know how it is called, but it is just a simple plastic rubbery circle with 4 pads that shorts the metal pads on the pcb. It is the same as you can find in many d-pads. So no switches for the directions, just an altered d-pad that has to function as a joystick 😞

DSC03655.thumb.JPG.cb839c564429ed4bde9893b587dc1657.JPG

Edited by Fred_M
picture added
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fred_M said:

I have opened my cxstick and sadly it is a very cheaply made joystick. The directional "switches" are not switches at all. I don't know how it is called, but it is just a simple plastic rubbery circle with 4 pads that shorts the metal pads on the pcb. It is the same as you can find in many d-pads. So no switches for the directions, just an altered d-pad that has to function as a joystick 😞

Is it possible that the joysticks that have bad diagonal issues are misaligned?  Do you see any slack in the parts and maybe shifting something around would correct the issue?

5 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Maybe there is something physically wrong with the bad joysticks?  A misalignment of some internal part?

Absolutely there is, and I am not taking mine apart to see, the rubber feet are over the screws.

3 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I mean the original CX40 was a cheaply made joystick too,  all they had to do was replicate what it was doing.

2 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Is it possible that the joysticks that have bad diagonal issues are misaligned?  Do you see any slack in the parts and maybe shifting something around would correct the issue?

My first thought was an overtight section or overtightened screw, but I don't want to mess with a brand new product.

Edited by JetmanUK

3 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

I dont think so, the rubbery part is is held in position by 2 plastic parts that go into the two holes. Sadly, this is not the way to create a good joystick.

I was hoping to find switches so I could solder a 9 pin connector to them. I have found the pins on the chip for the 4 directions and the fire button, but the chip is tiny and my soldering skills are not that great.

Edited by Fred_M

The CX40+ was an excellent recreation of the original, and even though they are too lose for my taste the sticks that came with the Flashback 50 were responsive enough.

What a shame to mess up the USB stick with addional buttons, it could be a big seller. I am hoping we are the 1% unlucky.

• Like 1

Just now, zzip said:

I mean the original CX40 was a cheaply made joystick too,  all they had to do was replicate what it was doing.

The joystick that comes with the 2600+ are great... why didn't they START THERE with the joystick movement design?  Isn't it even coming from the same company, Plaion?

• Like 1

@chad5200

It would be a big ask, so I would not ask, but as you are the guy with one good one and one bad one you could open them both up and compare... I wouldn't if I was you... but you could.

It's something to note that currently all the bad ones have been the pack in sticks, perhaps that data will change as we hear from more purchasers of the stand alone stick.

I think it's just luck, there's nothing wrong with my joystick - I've tested the stick and buttons under Linux with jstest and it works fine.  My only gripe with the joystick is I keep hitting the extra buttons on the outer ring and the corner button.  Apart from that - which is something I'll just have to get used to, mine is absolutely fine.

34 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

My first thought was an overtight section or overtightened screw, but I don't want to mess with a brand new product.

Well, you have given an excellent suggestion! 😁

I have loosened the 2 screws that holds the PCB a tiny bit, so the rubber parts have slightly more room and now my joystick functions a lot better! I just played Bruce Lee and when I am running left or right I am not getting down anymore. Diagonals still work fine and the joystick is less stiff. Now the joystick plays a lot better!

DSC03656.thumb.JPG.ad00ff3b7c062d75c34456c8207ae84f.JPG

Loosen up the two silver screws a tiny bit.

By the way, the rubber feet are very sticky, so I was able to reattach them perfectly.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I have loosened the 2 screws that held the PCB a tiny way, so the rubber parts has a slightly bit more room and now my joystick functions a lot better! I just played Bruce Lee and when I am running left or right I am not getting down anymore. Diagonals still work fine and the joystick is less stiff. Now the joystick plays a lot better!

By the way, the rubber feet are very sticky, so I was able to reattach them perfectly.

Ah, fantastic news!

OK... there may be a last minute reprieve here, I had litterally just packed it all away in the box, even put the clear bag that it came in over it too.

If I get a second (some family stuff on here soon) then I may try this.

Edited by JetmanUK

4 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I have loosened the 2 screws that holds the PCB a tiny bit, so the rubber parts have slightly more room and now my joystick functions a lot better! I just played Bruce Lee and when I am running left or right I am not getting down anymore. Diagonals still work fine and the joystick is less stiff. Now the joystick plays a lot better!

This sound very promising.  I'll give this a shot later today.

The CXSTICK is not the same as the CX Stick on the Atari2600 Plus, thats made the way its meant to be, it has more movement when you move the stick, THECSSTICK is more stiff, my original Atari Joystick is not stiff.

So far my CXStICK seems to be OK but only loaded a few games, if you have THEA500 Mini, you should be able to use THEGamepad with it too, it has the same amount of buttons on it, the CX STICK buttons are based on it, THE400 Mini uses THEA500 Mini Carousel, they are almost identical.

Weird why RGL have so much problems with designing joysticks, its amazing, all they need to do is copy PLAION's Atari Joystick not that hard considering they make the hardware for them but only to RGL specs, they make a 3D model of the product first, thats what you see first in videos and in pictures.

Edited by Spanner

37 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

OK Here's my update!

My theory on overtightened screws WAS indeed correct!

Loosening the two screws I achieved a usable joystick, left is now very reliable, right, which was previously almost always down is now... good... not perfect. Now perhaps some things will shift a little now they have been loosened, maybe it will improve, we will see. I am disappointed I needed to do this and it is still not perfect either.

I think the issue rears it’s head when I grip the stick firmer and push harder with the stick, if you have a very light touch you may be OK with a dodgy stick and never notice, but I have played how I have played with a CX40 since the early 80s so I wont be changing this easily. Also, other sticks like the original CX40, the CX40+ and the Flashback CX40’s don't give me this trouble so buyers beware if you have a manly grip!

I am happy I shared my theory on this and well done to @Fred_M for trying it first! :)

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

Maybe add a spacer to the screws that holds the PCB in place, under the PCB so the PCB is not so close to the stick, it might be touching the contacts on the PCB.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 155619.png
it could be missing spacers so why your plays up and mine works OK, I have to have a look and see.

Edited by Spanner

6 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

OK Here's my update!

My theory on overtightened screws WAS indeed correct! (snip)

Great news! Hope that saves people some hassle and returns :)

Re: other controllers, TheGamepad (including the one with TheA500 Mini) and TheJoystick (including the one that comes with TheC64) should both work fine. The full .pdf manual for The400 mini has a table showing what buttons on alternative controllers map to those found on TheCXStick. https://bit.ly/THE400-Mini-Manual-1_0_0 (page 31)

48 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

It looks like I will have to try this solution too. Could you give the steps you took to do this? The last time I tried taking apart my 8bitdo controller it was hard to get back together again will all the small parts.