IGNORED

Can any USB adapters power an 800XL? Looks not.

On 4/1/2024 at 8:04 PM, Brentarian said:

I recently purchased a few of these USB C to 7pin adapters from @mozzwald and they work great with my XL/XE's.  No issues at all running them with Samsung power adapters.

https://mozzwald.com/product/atari-8-bit-usb-c-power-adapter/

Oh, nice!  @mozzwald, I'm in for a couple whenever the next batch is run off.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:04 PM, Brentarian said:

I recently purchased a few of these USB C to 7pin adapters from @mozzwald and they work great with my XL/XE's.  No issues at all running them with Samsung power adapters.

https://mozzwald.com/product/atari-8-bit-usb-c-power-adapter/

That looks awesome!  I would also love to see an option to replace the plug on the XL motherboard with a USB C connector.

I noted a 2A fuse.  Is that enough, even for someone who has all the various upgrades?

6 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Oh, nice!  @mozzwald, I'm in for a couple whenever the next batch is run off.

Parts arriving this week to make some more. If you get on the email list you'll get notified when they're available.

5 hours ago, pcrow said:

I noted a 2A fuse.  Is that enough, even for someone who has all the various upgrades?

I'm using an 800XL with 512k SRAM upgrade and FujiNet, so nothing excessive here. Of the 50 shipped so far, have not heard from anyone blowing the fuse yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Parts arriving this week to make some more. If you get on the email list you'll get notified when they're available.

I'm using an 800XL with 512k SRAM upgrade and FujiNet, so nothing excessive here. Of the 50 shipped so far, have not heard from anyone blowing the fuse yet.

That's cool that you have some awesome 8-bit products and you're so close.

I guess Peoria and Evansville aren't really all that close, but since my wife grew up in the area and still has family there that we visit occasionally, it feels like it's right next door.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It finally happened. Someone blew the fuse on 2 USB-C adapters. They were using it on an 800XL and 130XE with FujiNet and Sys-Check 2.2. So, this makes me wonder what a good value would be for a fuse. Has anyone done any testing on a "maxed" out Atari to see how much power it can actually draw with a bunch of addons / upgrades?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mozzwald said:

It finally happened. Someone blew the fuse on 2 USB-C adapters. They were using it on an 800XL and 130XE with FujiNet and Sys-Check 2.2. So, this makes me wonder what a good value would be for a fuse. Has anyone done any testing on a "maxed" out Atari to see how much power it can actually draw with a bunch of addons / upgrades?

I can check tonight with a 600xl, FN, and Sys-Check.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mozzwald said:

So just to check this is a 5V USB-C adapter outputting at least 2amps?  Ideally 3amps if you are using it on an A8 with lots of upgrades drawing power, (I guess?)

So a 3 to 5amp fuse for such an adapter(?)

29 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

So just to check this is a 5V USB-C adapter outputting at least 2amps?  Ideally 3amps if you are using it on an A8 with lots of upgrades drawing power, (I guess?)

So a 3 to 5amp fuse for such an adapter(?)

The adapters I make have been shipped with a 2A fuse. It's just an adapter and has no active power supply in it. Power is provided by whatever USB supply the end user has.

I'd like to determine the highest current needed by a system with all the bells and whistles so the fuses aren't blown under 'normal' conditions. My thoughts now are to up it to a 3A fuse and possibly use a PTC resettable fuse so if there is an over current condition, disconnecting power will reset the fuse to a working state.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1