IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

If i can get the cash in time i'd love to pre/order the bentley bear 7800+ bundle, its a great packin title as far as i'm concerned and i do adore 7800 vibes, i mean maybe i shouldn't but i want both anyways so i'll see if i can get in in a couple months

21 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I don’t have a problem with Activison carts like some say. But I clean my carts with a bit of Brasso on a q tip. Depending on how dirty it is I may repeat the process followed up with Isopropyl alcohol. And everyone of my carts work great! Probably work for another 50 years!

ive used brasso it cleans really good. Like @MrChickenz I finish off with Iso to make sure everything gets off the pins. I also got the 1up card set up just in case.

• Like 2

Before my 2600+ arrived I bought a number of 2600/7800 carts.  Removed the old labels, opened each cart, cleaned the case, pcb and re-assembled with a new label.   I used Isopropanol 99.9% on them - highly recommended.  All the carts are like new.  No problems reading any of them.
(I was shocked how much gunk was removed from even the clean-looking ones, and the amount of dead critters inside the carts)

Edited by THX-1138
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Peronally I would not use Brasso. Brasso is used to give more shine to copper. Most cartridge "fingers" (the connector) do not contain copper. You do not want to use anything that can leave a residue behind.

Anything with a good amount of alcohol in it, will do fine. It evaporates without leaving any residue.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fred_M said:

Peronally I would not use Brasso. Brasso is used to give more shine to copper.

Anything with a good amount of alcohol in it, will do fine.

If you’ve ever opened a cart with really dirty contacts, you can actually see what Brasso can remove that isopropyl alcohol doesn’t!

Just now, MrChickenz said:

If you’ve ever opened a cart with really dirty contacts, you can actually see what Brasso can remove that isopropyl alcohol doesn’t!

Trust me, I have opened a lot of 2600 cartridges 😉 In the long run you can damage your contacts with Brasso.

5 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Trust me, I have opened a lot of 2600 cartridges 😉 In the long run you can damage your contacts with Brasso.

How long? Been using it for years no problem. I’ve never had to clean those carts again I’m talking maybe 15 years so far. Where’s your proof? Works for me! Some use sandpaper! Now that can damage the contacts! 😆

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 1

Just now, MrChickenz said:

Been using it for years no problem. I’ve never had to clean those carts again I’m talking maybe 15 years so far. Where’s your proof?

Erm... 35 years..... But use whatever you like, Brasso willnot come near to my cartridges.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Erm... 35 years..... But use whatever you like, Brasso willnot come near to my cartridges.

Ha ha! That’s what I’m doing! But I didn’t offer to clean yours!😁

I’ll update you in another 20 years! 😄

Edited by MrChickenz

7 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Ha ha! That’s what I’m doing! But I didn’t offer to clean yours!😁

True, but I want the AtariAge visitors to know that using Brasso on videogames is a very controversal topic in the game collectors scene. Some people like it and others warn about using Brasso. I want to show both sides of the story before advising to use Brasso. Do a google search and you will see it is a very controversal topic.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

True, but I want the AtariAge visitors know that using Brasso on videogames is a very controversal topic in the game collectors scene. Some people like it and others warn about using Brasso. I want to show both sides of the story before advising to use Brasso.

A YouTuber opinion! Just another opinion! These cartridges lasted 50 years and some of them have been through hell! A little bit of Brasso won’t hurt these cartridges they were built to last! I also use Brasso on my SEGA cartridges, Nintendo cartridges and Super Nintendo cartridges! 

I’ve purchased used cartridges that were in bad shape wouldn’t work even after using isopropyl alcohol. And after I cleaned them with Brasso they worked and I always stress , use isopropyl alcohol as a follow up to remove any residue.

I once watched a YouTube video where they ran over an Atari 2600 cartridge with a car! And it still worked! 😆😂🤣

The only reason I mentioned it because some have issues with the Activision carts loading in the 2600+. I don’t!

Edited by MrChickenz

9 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

A YouTuber opinion! Just another opinion! These cartridges lasted 50 years and some of them have been through hell! A little bit of Brasso won’t hurt these cartridges they were built to last! I also use Brasso on my SEGA cartridges, Nintendo cartridges and Super Nintendo cartridges! 

I once watched a YouTube video where they ran over an Atari 2600 cartridge with a car! And it still worked! 😆😂🤣

I haven’t used brasso. But I have used a bit of barkeepers friend on some exceptionally stubborn carts. It’s not what I start cleaning new carts with, though.

I only use it if I go through couple q-tips with isopropyl first and the cart still won’t work. And then I still use isopropyl afterwards to clean off any residual cleaner.

Edited by thecavalry
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I’ve purchased used cartridges that were in bad shape wouldn’t work even after using isopropyl alcohol. And after I cleaned them with Brasso they worked and I always stress , use isopropyl alcohol as a follow up to remove any residue.

The only reason I mentioned it because some have issues with the Activision carts loading in the 2600+. I don’t!

What is the matter with you? I added the Youtube video not to give "proof", but to show you another opinion besides my own. Please do not treat my opinion as a joke. If you do a Google search you will see that using Brasso is a very controversal topic. As I stated before I think that AtariAge visitors and new Atari users should know that there are different opinions about using this chemical on PCBs.

I do not have any issues with my Activision cartridges too without using Brasso.

I am sure you don't mind that people can have a different opinion than you?

This is my last reply about this topic.

Edited by Fred_M

I also use a Spray Lubricant in my paddle sets that have a bad case of jitter! This is also controversial, I’ve had some tell me Oh you’ll ruin your paddles in the long term.  You can’t ruin something that’s already not working and there is absolutely no proof it can be damaged in the long run! Besides it’s already had a long run! If it does I’ll just buy a new set for $25.00!

8 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I added the Youtube video not to give "proof"

It’s good to have a different opinion! I never advised anyone to use it. I just stated my process for cleaning carts. It works well for me.

You say you added the video to give proof. It’s just someone else’s opinion!

31 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

What is the matter with you? I added the Youtube video not to give "proof", but to show you another opinion besides my own. Please do not treat my opinion as a joke. If you do a Google search you will see that using Brasso is a very controversal topic. As I stated before I think that AtariAge visitors and new Atari users should know that there are different opinions about using this chemical on PCBs.

I do not have any issues with my Activision cartridges too without using Brasso.

I am sure you don't mind that people can have a different opinion than you?

This is my last reply about this topic.

Well, you know what they say about opinions, tho.... 

Personally I've had some trouble with alcohol not cleaning as well as I'd like, so I'm in the market to try some brasso out. If it's good enough for Techmoan, the youtuber, it's good enough for me. 

I mean people on this thread say they have "no trouble, without brasso, activision carts" mulitple folks said this, but guess what. I have, I have had a lot of trouble, although they're better now, esp when I figured out I can pull them out just slightly and that works for me.

So the fact that you say that does not help me trust you lol. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I think one thing we can all agree on, it's pretty amazing that the vast majority of these carts still work after 40+ years.

I'm just glad that we've got shiny new hardware to breathe life into the old gems 

That's true. Do they have like, capacitors on them that will leak or are they good to go for a while. it's awesome tho 

• Like 1