IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

1 minute ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Obviously need one for the lake house.  If I had a lake house.  Or a second room.  Or to travel with?  Was thinking about grabbing a second 2600+ just because, but this will more than suffice I think.

As soon as you get a lake house, let me know. I'll pop over with some crisps and we can play Robotron and Marauder 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Obviously need one for the lake house.  If I had a lake house.  Or a second room.  Or to travel with?  Was thinking about grabbing a second 2600+ just because, but this will more than suffice I think.

I have some beachfront property on which I plan on building in the next few years. I hadn't even considered my gaming need there yet. I feel so ashamed.

13 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

These wireless controllers will all come down to latency.  If they add any latency then they will not be worth it.

Wireless control has been kinda solved for a while (Xbox/PS).  If they are at least as good or better than the wireless controllers from the Atari Flashback 9 Gold then I think most people will be satisfied.  Plus it still supports wired controllers.

4 minutes ago, bent_pin said:

I have some beachfront property on which I plan on building in the next few years. I hadn't even considered my gaming need there yet. I feel so ashamed.

Get with the program!  What are you gonna do at the beach all weekend without an Atari?!  Geez

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

These wireless controllers will all come down to latency.  If they add any latency then they will not be worth it.

I currently have an 8BitDo M30 wireless (SEGA Genesis like) gamepad that I use with my OG 7800 and it doesn't have any latency, so I expect the new Atari controllers to work as well. Of course, I'm using mine with a CRT, so my TV isn't adding any possible latency.

• Like 2

I absolutely would assume that latency would not be an issue... but have you ever used the GSP controllers wirelessly? It's like the early days of wireless, awful! It's a shame as they are 100% fine when you plug a USB lead in.

Also noticing what a cool piece of kit the CX-40+ Wireless is (and CX-78+ Wireless as well). 

- Wireless obviously, for 7800+

- DB-9 wired adapter, compat with A+ and original consoles

- USB-A for PC and other devices.  So you can bypass the cheap knock-off controllers and the Stelladapters with this one.

Clever that it does both original DB9 controller signals and USB controller.

• Like 2

So, having ordered Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest straight from the Atari Age store (and receiving it just a few months ago. Thanks!), will there be any differences (other than packaging and labels) between the game I received vs. the one that folks will be getting now for the 7800+?

2 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

So, having ordered Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest straight from the Atari Age store (and receiving it just a few months ago. Thanks!), will there be any differences (other than packaging and labels) between the game I received vs. the one that folks will be getting now for the 7800+?

The title screen has been changed, but that's it as far as I'm aware. 

..Al

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

This does beg the question though, is it worth it for anyone other than a serious ATARI collector if they already have a 2600+ ? 

Does anyone other than a serious Atari collector exist?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Also noticing what a cool piece of kit the CX-40+ Wireless is (and CX-78+ Wireless as well). 

- Wireless obviously, for 7800+

- DB-9 wired adapter, compat with A+ and original consoles

- USB-A for PC and other devices.  So you can bypass the cheap knock-off controllers and the Stelladapters with this one.

Clever that it does both original DB9 controller signals and USB controller.

I read this a little differently. I think the DB9 and USB-A adapters are for wireless control only, and the USB-C port on the controllers is only for charging.