IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

I'm really trying to understand why someone would buy the 7800+ if they already have the 2600+ that does the same thing, including the wireless capability w/o the dongle. 

Maybe because they grew up with the 7800? I could understand that or maybe they haven't bought any system yet?

As someone like me who has the 2600+ and is enjoying the 2600 and 7800 games, I don't see any other reason to go out and buy this. Anyone want to tell me why I should?

29 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

Erm...  no.
Why should anyone tell you what to buy?   If you don't want or need it, don't buy it.   Your 2600+ will do just fine.

I worded that wrong. 

I was trying to say that I wanted to know if there is another difference between the two systems that I may be missing. 

Also will support continue on with the 2600+?

Sorry, early morning and no coffee. 

Edited by DhaemonX

7 minutes ago, DhaemonX said:

I worded that wrong. 

I was trying to say that I wanted to know if there is another difference between the two systems that I may be missing. 

No worries, I sounded more harsh than I intended - still having coffee.
The 2600+ and the 7800+ are all part of what they now call the "Atari + Platform", it's all inter-operable and compatible, so your 2600+ will continue just fine, you can buy the new wireless controllers if you like and they will work on yours, you can get the new games - you don't have to replace your 2600+.   Internally the 7800+ and 2600+ are similar, the cartridge slot has been reworked slightly and some newer chips are used in the dumper, I think that's about it.

Edited by THX-1138
  • Like 2

Personally, I have more nostalgia for the 7800 than the 2600, and I really like the look of the bundled game and the wireless controller.

In a way, the 7800+ makes more sense of the two plus systems, because it plays 2600 and 7800 carts, just like a real 7800

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Personally, I have more nostalgia for the 7800 than the 2600, and I really like the look of the bundled game and the wireless controller.

In a way, the 7800+ makes more sense of the two plus systems, because it plays 2600 and 7800 carts, just like a real 7800

Absolutely correct! I like the look of the 2600+ and the 7800+. So the 7800+ is a plus for me!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Absolutely correct! I like the look of the 2600+ and the 7800+. So the 7800+ is a plus for me!

So yeah I get that, if you grew up with the 7800, then that's a good reason.

I grew up with the 2600 and then transitioned over to the vic-20 and then the NES. 

I DO FIND THE 2600+ slot a pain sometimes where I have to put the cleaned cartridges in twice for some games to play. 

Edited by DhaemonX
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, DhaemonX said:

So yeah I get that, if you grew up with the 7800, then that's a good reason.

I grew up with the 2600 and then transitioned over to the vic-20 and then the NES. 

I DO FIND THE 2600+ slot a pain sometimes where I have to put the cleaned cartridges in twice for some games to play. 

For me it will depend on if the 7800+ is confirmed to support the Touchpad/Keypad controller and if the 1st gen 2600+ cannot be updated to do so. If that is the case then I’d get the 7800+ and box my 2600+ for donation. If they can sort out the controller support shortcomings of the original 2600+ then I’ll get the firmware updated and stick with my 2600+, which otherwise doesn’t have any issues.

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

For me it will depend on if the 7800+ is confirmed to support the Touchpad/Keypad controller and if the 1st gen 2600+ cannot be updated to do so. If that is the case then I’d get the 7800+ and box my 2600+ for donation. If they can sort out the controller support shortcomings of the original 2600+ then I’ll get the firmware updated and stick with my 2600+, which otherwise doesn’t have any issues.

If the touch pad does work or if they get it working with a future update, Star Raiders Strikes Back for the 7800 would be a good release! 

IMG_1612.jpeg

IMG_1611.gif

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DhaemonX said:

I'm really trying to understand why someone would buy the 7800+ if they already have the 2600+ that does the same thing, including the wireless capability w/o the dongle. 

Maybe because they grew up with the 7800? I could understand that or maybe they haven't bought any system yet?

As someone like me who has the 2600+ and is enjoying the 2600 and 7800 games, I don't see any other reason to go out and buy this. Anyone want to tell me why I should?

There is not any wireless without a dongle on either Atari+ system.

Hi @Ben from Plaion, I got word from Atari on X that the bundled game is just the cartridge in a sleeve. Will you be offering a "Core" version of the console without the game for a lower price? I rather save that $30 and use it to buy a boxed version of BBCQ. If not, then that's fine, just thought to ask.

Also Atari on X mentioned that there are slight memory differences, is that something you can expand on? Perhaps it increases stability or provides better compatibility?

According to Atari on X, there is a difference in memory:

https://x.com/atari/status/1825889671697568152?s=46&t=TPgcC5b3Y6qBNlIQzt4GwQ

There are some minor differences in software, memory specifically

7800+

Memory - 256MB eMMC/256MB DDR3 RAM
Wired Connections - HDMI/USB-C/DB9 Controller Ports

2600+
Memory 256MB DDR3 RAM / 256MB eMMC fixed internal storage.
Wired CX40+ Joystick with DB9 connector

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, romeoteknik said:

Hi @Ben from Plaion, I got word from Atari on X that the bundled game is just the cartridge in a sleeve. Will you be offering a "Core" version of the console without the game for a lower price? I rather save that $30 and use it to buy a boxed version of BBCQ. If not, then that's fine, just thought to ask.

Also Atari on X mentioned that there are slight memory differences, is that something you can expand on? Perhaps it increases stability or provides better compatibility?

7800+

2600+

Not to be pedantic, but that spec list by itself doesn’t denote any significant memory changes to me.

That lists the same emmc and ddr3 ram amounts for both systems. It could just be a different supplier being used for the revision.

What we do know is that the cartridge slot has been reworked and some of the IO stuff was changed - possibly affecting controller compatibility.

Keep in mind that the both the 2600+ and 7800+ are being developed as the same platform. They still use the same SOC.

Edited by thecavalry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, romeoteknik said:

7800+

2600+

Umm... so what's the difference in memory they're talking about?

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Trebor said:

Save your rolleyes. I saw this which was much more prominent:

HOMEBREW ELEVATION

This game version was developed by a talented member of Atari’s homebrew community. Now it is getting a well-deserved official Atari release.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DhaemonX said:

I worded that wrong. 

One big difference! The controller ports and switches including the difficulty switches are all in the FRONT!!!! THATS AWESOME!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Well I mean, it kinda comes down to which one you personally want to have setup. the 2600+ is for the real classic fans and the old folks and 7800+ has a little bit more mystery, appeal perhaps ? it has a certain something... I'll probably keep both 

Im old haha. the 2600 is nostalgia for me. I remember playing it when I was little 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, T.Bone said:

@Ben from Plaion what about updated hardware? I can update the software myself. Based on what ive read so far its not tooo hard.

I mean I can't speak for Ben, but it seems to me that whatever lessons had been learned from the first manufacturing run of 2600+ will be applied to 7800. So again... if you like how it looks get that, otherwise, just get a 2600+ and update it here, it's not that difficult, as long as you have a windows pc access. Have someone more tech savvy do it for you that you trust if you really don't want to (or can't). If you pay for shipping, I'll do it for you. 

Other than that, I mean... 2600+ is pretty fine for everything. Yeah you got a few issues with Activision carts and dirty carts here and there, but it's been a real champ for me, I've used it almost daily since December. Not sure it's really worth fussing over minor hardware changes

Edited by tradyblix

I've been using the new cart slot in my 2600 Plus for some time now and it's perfect. It's been confirmed that it will be in newly manufactured units and will be in the 7800 Plus. Parity there then. 

So let's put that aside, the real (potential) upgrades are the new chips.

The million dollar question is, does the 7800 Plus get better dumper compatibility for modern carts and classic hardware compatibility (driving controllers, keypads, trackball and improved paddle support). If so great!

Aaaand the million and one dollar question would then be... Can the same improvements also be made to the 2600 Plus via firmware updates, or are do they require the new hardware and therefore the 2600 Plus would always be inferior to the 7800 Plus? 

@Ben from Plaion To confirm this.

Either way I'm buying the 7800 Plus. I want the game and the controller, so it's peanuts for a new console. It also looks cool too and I want to support Atari.

(Although, I may have to buy a separate Bentley Bear if the box and manual aren't included, further support I suppose! 🤣). 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Can the same improvements also be made to the 2600 Plus via firmware updates, or are do they require the new hardware and therefore the 2600 Plus would always be inferior to the 7800 Plus? 

In real life the 2600 was inferior to the 7800 anyway. So we just chalk up the 7800+ as the next plus version in line just like back in the day! If that isn’t authentic I don’t know what is! lol

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Other than that, I mean... 2600+ is pretty fine for everything. Yeah you got a few issues with Activision carts and dirty carts here and there, but it's been a real champ for me, I've used it almost daily since December.

I don’t have a problem with Activison carts like some say. But I clean my carts with a bit of Brasso on a q tip. Depending on how dirty it is I may repeat the process followed up with Isopropyl alcohol. And everyone of my carts work great! Probably work for another 50 years!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I don’t have a problem with Activison carts like some say. But I clean my carts with a bit of Brasso on a q tip. Depending on how dirty it is I may repeat the process followed up with Isopropyl alcohol. And everyone of my carts work great! Probably work for another 50 years!

Brasso prolly works better than the isopropyl I use 

• Like 1