IGNORED

Proposal Via Atari? CONTEST OVER!

pmpddytim

It's been nine years that  

We've loved and you still seem to  

Play games with my heart.  

Wow, you are really good. That sums things up beautifully. That is the top one right now. Anybody else care to chime in? Should I make a new thread in case people are not visiting this one as much? Thanks again for the suggestions and help. :)

Edit: Actually we have been together since 1991 so I guess it would be 13 years together. :D

Nah, she dosent reas slashdot. Maybe the exposure will get more label entries for the contest.

If anyone else see's anything related to this on the web post it here. I'm cut/pasting them all and making a small scrapbook of articles, label submissions etc.. to document this and to go along with the cart.

Tim

It's been nine years that  

We've loved and you still seem to  

Wow, you are really good. That sums things up beautifully. That is the top one right now. Anybody else care to chime in? Should I make a new thread in case people are not visiting this one as much? Thanks again for the suggestions and help. :)

Edit: Actually we have been together since 1991 so I guess it would be 13 years together. :D

Why, thank you! :insert blushing smiley here: :D

If it's thirteen years, that's a simple manipulation, which I'm sure you probably thought of already:

Thirteen years that we

Have loved and you still seem to

----

Also, that scrapbook idea would be very cool. Not only does she get the proposal cartridge, she gets the whole story compiled with it!

Does she read any gaming sites at all? Because we could probably shoot around an email to some news sites... :ponder: :D

----------

Chase Hermsen

Man, people on slashdot really dont like this. Matter o'fact they dont seem to like 2600s.

Some people have no imagination there's tons of responses like:

1. "I don't get it - when is she ever going to see it? I mean - why not write it in the mens locker room or on the side of the ISS? A girl is about as likely to see it in those places as she is by playing games, let alone on a 2600... "

My response: Um.....We play atari all the time, plus, I'll play it with her, thus ensuring that she see's it.

2. "Like an atypical label won't be enough of a tip-off. !"

My response: I Dont plan on letting her see the label.

3."What a fucking dork."

This from someone in the slashdot community? :P

4. There are also several posts insinuating that I'm gay or need to have a vasectomy...Wow, some peope are really hateful, heaven forbid you try to do somthing unique your automatically gay and stupid.

And for the folks saying "what if she says no?". Weve been together for 7 years, it all but officiall, I just wanted to propose in a unique way.

Oh well...People are intitled to their own opinion.

-Tim

Man, people on slashdot really dont like this. Matter o'fact they dont seem to like 2600s.

You have to take many things posted to Slashdot with a grain of salt. You won't find *any* articles that don't have negative comments of some sort. I looked through the comments and most of them are of the humorous nature, which includes some of the ones you pointed out. There's a long running theme on Slashdot that people who read Slashdot don't have or can't get girlfriends, so I knew a story like this would draw some amusing comments. Sarcasm also runs quite heavily in the Slashdot crowd.

Again, definitely don't take the comments personally. For every one person who posted, probably hundreds more remained silent and took a look at this thread.

..Al

Let's face, most game forums (with the definite exception of this one, thanks to CPU and the Als) are full of ignorant flame-trolls.

But they do have a point about the label . . . My submission to the contest:

LEAVE IT BLANK!!! Have no label, just make it look like any ordinary beat-up cart you found at a thrift . . .

Fire it up . . . "Crud, it's Donkey Kong. We have 20 of these." . . . Beat level, major surprise time!!!

Funny how someone at HES in Oz had already done this and nobody knew it until now. . .

Hats off to Skid and Bernadette, wherever they are. :)

LEAVE IT BLANK!!!  Have no label, just make it look like any ordinary beat-up cart you found at a thrift . . .

I think as long as Tim can conceal the cart from Jennifer, it will be much cooler if he can show her the cart afterwards. It makes for an even more impressive presentation if he went through the trouble of having a custom label made. :) As long as she doesn't stumble upon the cart beforehand!!

..Al

Again, definitely don't take the comments personally.  For every one person who posted, probably hundreds more remained silent and took a look at this thread.

..Al

Ah, I dont take it personally, I actually think most of it is rather funny. Just thought I would point out the differences in board manners between here and there. I can talk shit with the best of'em :twisted: (and do on several other boards, especially literature boards for some reason) but it nice to come to a forum like this where alot of respect is passed around. 8)

Tim :D

Didn't someone actually do this once?

Yes, and unless I'm missing something else, it was me.

It was published in EGM, Game Players (now gone), and Gamepro. Can scan in the article and screenshots if you like.

I used a Gameboy since that was the easiest for my friend who programmed it in. It was built into a Solataire game since that's what my wife likes to play. Upon winning, the question popped up, and she could select 'Yes' or 'No' and an appropriate response on screen was generated.

Unless your girlfriend is a game player (mine wasn't), I'd suggest a cheat code. I had one in as a back up.

Jet-X has sent me scans from the three magazine articles, as well as a picture of their PSX (!) wedding cake (he said there were two wedding cakes, I assume the other was more traditional!) Here are links to the images (they are big, so I don't want to post them directly in this thread):

EGM

Game Players

Gamepro

Playstation Cake

Enjoy!!

..Al

Cool . . . A PS2 wedding cake? :) Why not a giant GB, since it was the responsible platform?

And, actually I didn't mean you (although I had seen this article before) or Skid at HES . . . I thought one of the old-school homebrew outfits had did this before.

Heck, with all of Bienvenu's holiday Coleco demos, I'm surprised nobody's ever asked him, either.

Congratulations, I can't wait to hear how she reacts.

I don't know if anyone read the 100th Tips and Tricks extravaganza, but there was a code in there for the Game Boy Color game Klax. It takes you to a special proposal screen that I hid inside. I put it in there like 4 years ago, and Midway didn't catch it. When Tips and Tricks called and asked if we had any super secret codes, I dug it out. She always checked the mag for Animal Crossing stuff. I set it out with the Game Boy and a note to have her try the code.

Of course, she wanted to know why I had it in there for so long, and the answer was easy. I wanted her to see it back then, but she HATED the game. I even wrote down a list of codes for her to try (The proposal included), but she liked Dr. Mario much better. Oh well. Her fault, not mine! ;)

Mike

I was googling my Username to see what came up and I stumbled across this.

"04-04-03 21:27 Spel i kärlekens tecken - Tomas "Xtrmntr" Andersson

Helger är av tradition nyhetsfattiga, men denna lördag torde slå någon sorts rekord i fråga om brist på spelrelaterade nyheter. FZ-bossarnas oxpiska viner dock obönhörligen, så håll till godo med denna nyhet som inte har något som helst med PC-spel att göra.

Ni som varit med ett tag minns konsolen Atari 2600. I forumavdelningen hos AtariAge, en sida tillägnad den klassiska spelmaskinen, meddelar en kärlekskrank individ vid smeknamn pmpddytim att han ämnar fria till sin flickvän med hjälp av spelet Donkey Kong. Planen är att flickvännen efter att ha klarat första banan av spelet ska mötas av ett frieri. Den gode pmpddytim vill ha hjälp med att klä sitt frieri i passande skrud. Fram till den 17 april har alla som känner sig manade chansen att skicka in sina förslag. Vinnaren kammar hem 25 dollar att investera i AtariAges online-shop.

Kärlek och spel i helig symbios >> "

Can anyone translate this so I can put the original and the translation in the scrapbooks I'm making about this? I dont even know what language it is.

-tim

Turns out it's Swedish, but apparantly my Danish buddy can read that language as well.

Spel i kärlekens tecken - Tomas "Xtrmntr" Andersson

Games in the sign of love

Helger är av tradition nyhetsfattiga, men denna lördag torde slå någon sorts rekord i fråga om brist på spelrelaterade nyheter. FZ-bossarnas oxpiska viner dock obönhörligen, så håll till godo med denna nyhet som inte har något som helst med PC-spel att göra.

Weekends are rare on news, but this saturday all the gamingsites was beating that - absolutely no news that was related to PC gaming but the FZ-bosses had this one :

Ni som varit med ett tag minns konsolen Atari 2600. I forumavdelningen hos AtariAge, en sida tillägnad den klassiska spelmaskinen, meddelar en kärlekskrank individ vid smeknamn pmpddytim att han ämnar fria till sin flickvän med hjälp av spelet Donkey Kong. Planen är att flickvännen efter att ha klarat första banan av spelet ska mötas av ett frieri. Den gode pmpddytim vill ha hjälp med att klä sitt frieri i passande skrud. Fram till den 17 april har alla som känner sig manade chansen att skicka in sina förslag. Vinnaren kammar hem 25 dollar att investera i AtariAges online-shop.

You, who has been into gaming for a while remembers the console Atari 2600. On the forum at AtariAge, a site dedicated to this classic gaming machine - a user in love named "pmpddytim" declared that he would propose to his girlfriend with the help from Donkey Kong : The Plan was, when his girlfriend manage to get through the first round of the game, she would be met with the proposal. The good "pmpddytim" would like help with suitable clothes and up til April 17 you can post your suggestions. The winner will get $ 25 to invest in AtariAges online-shop.

Kärlek och spel i helig symbios

Love and games united

I think "suitable clothes, should have been "suitable label".

-S

The translation was basically correct... :)

The phrase "Den gode pmpddytim vill ha hjälp med att klä sitt frieri i passande skrud." doesn't really translate, it's a swedish expression which basically means "The good (man) pmpddytim needs help with a suitable package for his proposal". That's as close of a translation I can think of :)

PS. Danish people understand the swedish language quite well, but most Swedes don't understand danish (at all) :) In writing however, they are more similar. DS.

PS II. "Swedish fish" aren't really swedish, atleast I've never seen them in any stores here ;) DS.

PS III. IKEA has lower prices in USA than they have in Sweden :x DS.