IGNORED

Beef Drop work in progress

kenfused

I personally still feel that the smartest option would be to make a special pass-thru cart that has extra RAM and a pokey chip on it, that way only about 300 or so need to be made and it won't be a problem everytime a new homebrew is made to support Pokey sound. Atari had plans for something like it in the past with the prototype RAM module...I just say finish developing the RAM module and throw a Pokey chip on there. MHO of course. :D Perhaps a way to 'lock' the cart in can be made (like Greg just suggested) so bumping into the machine and losing your game won't be an option. :ponder:

I am impressed by the progress you made.

Good work ken.

Here are some PAL screenshots

Which release date is that screen shot fun. It shouldn't be the latest one?

edit: "fun." = "from?"

New version to try. Attempting to add PAL detection. It works on MESS (which doesn't mean much :-) ). My NTSC machine isn't detected as PAL, so that is good. Now if some one can try it on a PAL machine that would be good. IT should display PAL DETECTED at startup. So far all I attempt to do is bump the title screen down a little. Does anyone know how many lines I should be outputting for PAL? Also let me know if any lockups occur on any system. Thanks.

bd7800.zip

NTSC version worked until I died one time, not sure if it was my last man or not, then it dropped to a black screen.

PAL version worked with no crashes, the main game screen was centered too high and it played rather slow. Other than that it played OK, with no garbage lines at the bottom. Someone with a real PAL TV should probably test it out though.

The official Maria specs (page 13) say 312 lines for PAL and 262 for NTSC.

Mitch

New version to try.  Attempting to add PAL detection.  It works on MESS (which doesn't mean much :-) ).  My NTSC machine isn't detected as PAL, so that is good.  Now if some one can try it on a PAL machine that would be good.  IT should display PAL DETECTED at startup.  So far all I attempt to do is bump the title screen down a little.  Does anyone know how many lines I should be outputting for PAL?  Also let me know if any lockups occur on any system.  Thanks.

Cool, I will check the new version this weekend.

New version to try.  Attempting to add PAL detection.  It works on MESS (which doesn't mean much :-) ).  My NTSC machine isn't detected as PAL, so that is good.  Now if some one can try it on a PAL machine that would be good.  IT should display PAL DETECTED at startup.  So far all I attempt to do is bump the title screen down a little.  Does anyone know how many lines I should be outputting for PAL?  Also let me know if any lockups occur on any system.  Thanks.

Here is a quote from my backdoor example code:

; Differences between the NTSC and PAL 7800 consoles' output:
;     NTSC     PAL
;      15       15     automatic VBLANK lines
;      25       33     output lines, that can't be seen on many TVs
;     192      228     actual display lines
;      26       32     output lines, that can't be seen on many TVs
;       4        4     automatic VBLANK lines
;
;     262      312     total number of lines per frame
;     243      293     total number of DMA output lines per frame
;      60       50     frames per second
;
; So to make a NTSC game run properly on a PAL console, you can simply
; set up 25 extra blank lines before and after the normal NTSC display.
; Also you would have to adjust anything that is timed by counting the
; number of frames, since PAL consoles do less frames per second than
; NTSC consoles. The following routine detects if it is running on a
; NTSC or a PAL console by counting the number of scanlines per frame,
; so that you can make your game compatible with both TV standards.

The program demonstrated how to get around the signature key check, which isn't nessessary anymore, now that we have some proper signature key generators. But the code also contains a PAL/NTSC test. It was taken from the Asteroids BIOS, so it's known to work.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

PAL is exactly 50 lines longer, from the references I have.

Hmm, I can even see how PAL detection code would work. Just set up a simple DLL full of blank lines with an interrupt at line 300 or so that sets a "PAL detected" flag. Run the DLL for a frame or three.

The new version looks better ken.

Pal detection works fine (can see it at start :))

Another 16 blank dl at the top of the screen would be good (better than bottom).

Overall the game and music runs a bit slow and also the color could look better (the normal pal issues).

The title picture looks more colourful than the picture you can see here, it's really nice.

Now a really bad thing, the second in game picture doesn't look that bad because of a bad photography.

While playing level 2 the music plays faster and at the same time the screen messed up.

It starts to flicker and produces some garbage.

I only played it once so I don't know if it happens every time.

Unfortunalty I also don't know if I triggered some action (get up bonus, used pepper or something).

post-3747-1100293002_thumb.jpg

post-3747-1100293003_thumb.jpg

post-3747-1100293004_thumb.jpg

post-3747-1100293005_thumb.jpg

Some more details.

I played another game and the effect happend again right after I picked up the cup.

When I picked up the cup a second time things get even worser, the background wasn't visible anymore.

After I died everything looked normal.

At the game before the garbage doesn't vanished even after reset.

The effekt doesn't happend in the third game I made!

Some more details.

I played another game and the effect happend again right after I picked up the cup.

When I picked up the cup a second time things get even worser, the background wasn't visible anymore.

After I died everything looked normal.

At the game before the garbage doesn't vanished even after reset.

The effekt doesn't happend in the third game I made!

Ah yes, I forgot, that happened once to me on the PAL game too. It sped up real fast and the screen started to have a lot of extra lines on it. After 10-15 seconds it returned to normal though.

Mitch

I will check if I am outputting enough total lines for both modes, if I am not and something in RAM after the DLL changes to something that might cause an extra interrupt to occur, then it is anybody's guess what can happen. Has anyone had screen glitches on NTSC machines?

Might currentl method of detecting PAL, is I have use a screen that has a DLI on a line that is higher that would be displayed on PAL, and the that interupt triggers I am saying it is PAL. I will look at the posted code link though and see what it does.

I was wondering about the POKEY version myself. Some observations about this latest build (All observed/played under MESS):

1. 'Screetching' sound/noise present through out the game.

2. Game seems a little too easy. Which I believe is a result of the 'enemies' being a little too slow. For me, this is really evident on Board/Level 3. On Level/Board 3 in the Arcade version you have *no* chance at beating out the Egg on the left (Have to use a Pepper if you choose that route). The Egg *will* be on top of you before you can even start to go up the ladder(s). On the right hand side you can *barely* beat out the Pickle - but you can without using a pepper. Again, this is on the Arcade version. With this port I'm half way up the screen before the Egg even starts to make it out to the playfield.

Just my 2 cents,

Trebor