IGNORED

Jerome's other "lost" initials - RotLA

Scott Stilphen

Lol...

My first attempt at this deal places you in the VOP at the start of the game, with a grappling hook that you can't drop!

13d3 - 63

13d7 - 5f

13db - 5b

13e1 - 55

13e7 - 4f

1408 - 2e

1420 - 16

1426 - 10

Change all to 00...Oh marshmellers, I thought I was close with that one.

Change 1579, 1585, and 1589 to zeros to disable the Spider's "web" (original values are 20, 14, 10).

Change 15F6, 15FC, and 1600 to zeros to disable the thieves' bullet-buying ability, but he still robs you (original values are 20, 1A, 16).

Couldn't figure out what 1769, 176F, and 1777 do when disabled (they branch to $1787 in the code).

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

Oh, it makes the Ark's mesa be indicated in the map room -without- the headpiece (that'll save a bit of time, as you can win by making only one pass through the rooms).

Not worth much though, as doing so only nets 17 "points" for the game.

There is a good chance that the signature was added to the game code after it was completed...and twit's got the only proto. Any conventions coming to Mpls?

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

There is a good chance that the signature was added to the game code after it was completed...and twit's got the only proto. Any conventions coming to Mpls?

Nukey Shay-

You don't happen to have a ROM dumper, do you? I'm pretty sure my proto is the same as the released version, but would happily dump it to let you all double-check it. It'd be easy since we apparently live so close to each other (BTW - where abouts do you live? I live in St. Louis Park, and work in downtown St. Paul).

Otherwise, I can try to send the proto out to someone to dump -- I just thought it'd be easier and faster to do it locally.

On the convention note... I don't know of any in Minneapolis, but there's going to be a new one in Milwaukee, WI next summer. Not too far, but a Twin Cities get-together might be fun!

Nope, I don't have one (which is why I mentioned the convention thing, as many people attend with such equipment...and I've heard that you are understandably apprehensive about sending it off to be dumped. Dunno if there would be a difference between the carts, but it would be fun to find out.

BTW I used to live in St. Louis Park (and Monticello before that), now residing in Farmington.

quote:

Nope, I don't have one (which is why I mentioned the convention thing, as many people attend with such equipment...and I've heard that you are understandably apprehensive about sending it off to be dumped. Dunno if there would be a difference between the carts, but it would be fun to find out.

No, I've never really been apprehensive about it, just lazy... I've sent carts to Randy at Hozer to dump before, just because the ROMs weren't released, and this wouldn't be any different. I totally trust him.

I'll send an email off to him tonight.

quote:

Oh, it makes the Ark's mesa be indicated in the map room -without- the headpiece (that'll save a bit of time, as you can win by making only one pass through the rooms).

Not worth much though, as doing so only nets 17 "points" for the game.

That's about right - locating the Ark in the map room (with the headpiece) is worth 3.5 points

Interesting...the patch won't add the points even if the headpiece IS used. Might be able to figure out the scoring system after all.

Regarding the signature, I'm particularly interested in that blank section in the commercial cart that runs from $19AC-$19C4 (just below the map room graphics & the "Yar"). Adding bytes here puts some of them in the Mesa side screen, but the game is unaffected (sound familiar?).

They may have just been used as a visual aid when gliding over to the side during beta testing though.

Just so you don't think I have abandoned the project, I thought I'd update everyone on my absolute lack of progress. I've been trying every possible way to end up in the valley with only the first bag of gold. Nothing has yielded results.

I'm really hoping the tech folks who are on this will have more luck than I am.

Hang in there, Stan. I've been at it a bit longer Keep in mind,

*Both HSW and JD confirmed the existence of it.

*The EG photo is real.

*A perfect score in the game has yet to be achieved.

If there's something in the code, I'm confident Thomas and Nukey will find it. Plus, Twit has offered to have his proto dumped (thanks!), and I'm currently putting a call out to any/all proto owners to help us.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Scott Stilphen ]

quote:

Interesting...the patch won't add the points even if the headpiece IS used. Might be able to figure out the scoring system after all.

That would be great. The scoring system is a bit....eccentric at times. Here's the notes I have on it:

Adventure Points (AP) comprise the game's scoring system. The AP chart below is calculated by the number of "circles" on the pedestal in the Well of Souls. Each circle equals 1 AP.

Start with = 6

use of Ankh = 2

use of parachute = .5

use of shovel (in mesa) = 2.5

locating Ark in maproom = 3.5

landing in mesa = 1

finding YAR = 1.5

finding Ark = 3.5

NO points for/use of:

2nd grenade (on secret wall)

bribing lunatic

bribing sheik with Chai

coins

magic flute

headpiece

hourglass

key

killing snakes

recovering items from thieves

revolver

timepiece

whip

Points SUBTRACTED for

-3.5 using secret exit in dungeon

-1 whipping/shooting either master thief in VoP or tiny thieves

-.5 blowing hole in Entrance room

-.5 losing 1 life (none for 2nd life lost)- counted if Ark is found

When you first turn the game on, the pedestal is at the very top, denoting a max score of 23. The highest I (or anyone I know) has scored is 20.5.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Scott Stilphen ]

In other words, you only get points for actions that absolutely need to be done, and lose points for things that should not have to be done at all. Therefore, the actions that lose points should not have a connection with the signature, I think. The ones that cause no apparent change might have some hidden use connected to them.

quote:

In other words, you only get points for actions that absolutely need to be done, and lose points for things that should not have to be done at all. Therefore, the actions that lose points should not have a connection with the signature, I think. The ones that cause no apparent change might have some hidden use connected to them.

Yes, with the exception of a few pieces (coins, whip). And locating the Ark in the maproom does require the key and headpiece, so they're not exactly "pointless"

Is there a way to lose the remaining .5?

I assume you mean blowing the hole in the Entrance room? Yep- use the headpiece to access the secret entrance to the Temple Entrance room via the Marketplace.

I was pretty close with my fake screen shot, eh? Not bad for only having a poor photocopy to go by Though the screen dimensions with Z26 appear a little "squashed", and for some reason, the colors are slightly off (the VoP appears all green, instead of orange and green).

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Scott Stilphen ]

No, I meant is there a way to lose the .5 left over if you did all the "subtracting" actions and none of the "adding" actions. Since you begin with 6 and you can lose 5.5, it leaves .5 left.

It would appear that the undiscovered action adds 2.5...that could be useful once the scoring routines are all found.

Not that I know of. Never looked at it that way before (to get a score of 0). From what I found, the lowest possible score is 1, since the -.5 is only counted if you solve the game. I can't claim my scoring chart is complete, or even accurate, since sometimes the pedestal may show only a 1/3" of a circle on the bottom- not every action is counted in half-points.