IGNORED

Jerome's other "lost" initials - RotLA

Scott Stilphen

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

I'm just curious to see how the extra candy glitch works, since it unintentionally reveals Howard's signature (HSW3), and b/c it's a very rare glitch

I had a closer look into E.T. and here is what I found (maybe it was already known):

The candies are replaced in 17 second intervalls. (exact: 16*64/60) (but after some time, that somehow stops, and I still don't know why...)

The limit of 21 candies per round can be explained by a weird internal algorithm:

The collected candies are multiplied with 1.5 (21*1.5 = 31) and the result is compared with 31.

You get the extra points for 22 (result > 31) or more candies and the energy penalty for the next round, taht is shown in the table:

code:

candies score  energy

---------------------

22,23 +1000 - 707

24 +2200 -1515

25 +3400 -2323

26,27 +4500 -3131

28 +6300 -4040

29 +7800 -4848

30,31 +9900 -5757

>=32 no values defined -> glitch

Since I have no don't know how to collect more than ~17 candies, I have no idea how it is possible, to collect that many candies.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a couple of old posts related to Easter eggs in this game. This one may have been the source of the "2nd, more secret signature" rumor:

Subject: Re: Stargate and other rare 2600 games

Newsgroups: rec.games.video

View this article only

Date: 1989-03-25 07:02:20 PST

In article <490@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser (709ITP)) writes:

>I managed to sucessfully finish "Raiders of the Lost Ark". However, when I finished, the "scale" did not reach the top (you know, when the game ends, Indy goes up/down on a scale). I BELIEVE that if you get Indy to the top of the scale (by doing EVERYTHING right in the game), the signature will appear.>

I remember "Raiders" fondly. It took me four days of solid playing to figure it out. My son was playing it once,he got as far as blowing a hole in the right wall. He then came and asked me why the initials I.J. came on the screen. I went to look and scale was at the top. We never figured out how he did it. He had never gotten past the market place and the room above it.

And this one was where HSW first mentioned having the "correct 3 objects in the inventory":

Subject: E.T. Easter Egg revealed at BAVE meeting!

Newsgroups: rec.games.video.classic

View this article only

Date: 1996/07/15

Well, for all of you who missed yesterday's BAVE meeting--which is about 99.5% of the people reading this newsgroup, I suspect--you missed quite a special meeting.

For those who don't know, BAVE stands for Bay Area Videogame Enthusiasts, a loose collection of geeks and collectors who meet in the SF Bay Area every month to trade games and whatever.

Anyway, Clint Dyer, the host of this month's meeting, had arranged for a special guest to show up--none other than Atari 2600 game designer Howard Scott Warshaw!

After entertaining us with tales of the early Atari and the creation of his games Yars Revenge, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T. (which we gave him a bit of a ribbing about) I asked about Easter Eggs in his games. Practically everyone knows how to make his initials appear in Yars Revenge, but what about Raiders and E.T.?

He confirmed that both a Yar and the initials "HSW2" appear in Raiders, but he couldn't remember quite how it was done. Something about having the correct three objects and digging on the correct mesa or something...

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

And here it is again ;)

I just bumped this because I had an idea about discovering more about this elusive secret. Something about what Thomas mentioned earlier...that the number of points awarded to an action is not done deliberately...but because that value was used in the routine itself (i.e. so if a value in the given routine is known to be 5...5 points would be used as the reward).

Unfortunately, this too involves an assuption...since I dunno what point value should have been used for $AE. I'm currently guessing at a value of 8...because $9E starts with 100 and must have room for the Indy graphic (10 pixels). Which leaves a maximum score of 90...of which 82 are already accounted for. It cannot be above 8...that much is for sure.

So clues to the original location of this secret (if they haven't been removed entirely like the key GFX) should depend on a point in the game where a value is known to be 8.

This could provide clues to where you should be to perform the action at least 8)