IGNORED

A li'l game...kinda fishie...

vdub_bobby

Well, I took a stab at some fishie sprites. Feel free to use or disregard any or all of 'em. ;)

My main idea was to try and make it look like the same fish, but growing up a little bit each time. Adding a dorsal fin, lengthening the animation, and other little changes. The changes between each size are subtle, but that could add more challenge to the game, if desired (I figured since the fish are different colors anyway, it's easy enough to tell them apart without each one looking radically different).

Another goal was to make two versions of each fish - one with the mouth closed, the other with it open (except the smallest fish, which is too small). The idea being that when a fish gets within range of a smaller fish, it opens its mouth up to eat it. (I don't know if that can be done or not, but if not, the mouth could just open and close as it swims along).

My other goal was to try and make all of the fish without going into quad-width pixels. Just sticking with single and double-width makes for more consistent looking sprites, I think.

So, here we go. First off, the animation. (Six cycles with mouth closed, three with it open. Except for the tiny fish. :) )

Size 0 - 5 x 3

size0.gif

Size 1 - 5 x 4

size1.gif

Size 2 - 5 x 5

size2.gif

Size 3 - 5 x 6

size3.gif

Size 4 - 6 x 6

size4.gif

Size 5 - 6 x 7

size5.gif

Size 6 - 7 x 7

size6.gif

Size 7 - 8 x 7

size7.gif

Size 8 - 8 x 8

size8.gif

Size 9 - 6 (doubled) x 8

size9.gif

Size 10 - 7 (doubled) x 9

Size 11 - 8 (doubled) x 9

Size 12 - 8 (doubled) x 9

And here are the individual sprites. The tiny fish just has two frames, and is the same one currently in the game.

Size0 - 5 x 3

The next four sizes have two frames with mouth closed, two with it open.

Size1 - 5 x 4

Size2 - 5 x 5

Size3 - 5 x 6

Size4 - 6 x 6

The next two sizes are three with mouth closed, three with it open.

Size5 - 6 x 7

Size6 - 7 x 7

And all the rest are four and four.

Size7 - 8 x 7

Size8 - 8 x 8

Size9 - 6 (doubled) x 8

Size10 - 7 (doubled) x 9

Size11 - 8 (doubled) x 9

Size12 - 8 (doubled) x 9

So there you go. I hope some of it's useful, but if not, please don't feel any obligation to use them. Maybe someone else will need some fish someday. :D

Edited by Nathan Strum

How about some really large quad-sized fishs?

I'm not a big fan of the quad-sized sprites. I think they end up looking too chunky, so I didn't have much interest in making them. Anyway, I think I'm about "sprited-out" for the time being, so I'll let someone else have a turn at it. ;)

Hmmm... what if the fish were color-coded? So anything your size or smaller would be cool colors - blues, greens, purple, gray, white, etc., and anything you couldn't eat were warm colors - yellow, orange, red, brown, black, etc. Eventually, as you got large enough, all the fish would be "edible" colors, except the sharks, eels and jellyfish.

Just some "food" for thought. ;)

Then you could even have different sprites for the player fish and for the other fish, making for a broader variety, since it wouldn't have to be based "solely" on their size.

Solely.

Two... three... four...

Hello?

Is this thing on? :roll:

Hmmm... what if the fish were color-coded? So anything your size or smaller would be cool colors - blues, greens, purple, gray, white, etc., and anything you couldn't eat were warm colors - yellow, orange, red, brown, black, etc. Eventually, as you got large enough, all the fish would be "edible" colors, except the sharks, eels and jellyfish.

That's an interesting idea...I'll look into whether there's time in the kernel to implement that...probably. Well, maybe. I'll look.

Then you could even have different sprites for the player fish and for the other fish, making for a broader variety, since it wouldn't have to be based "solely" on their size.

Well, having different sprites for the player fish would be kinda cool, but I don't have the room right now for that many more sprites. I am resisting making this an 8k game, cuz it just seems silly to make this simple a game 8k, but my resistance is eroding...

And I understand the reluctance to have great giant blocky quad-width sprites, but I really like the larger sizes.

That's an interesting idea...I'll look into whether there's time in the kernel to implement that...probably.  

IMO it would be even better if all fishs including your own are colour coded. So while your fish is growing, it changes its colour.

What do you mean by "colour coded"? Do you mean like the enemy fishies are now; like each size has a specific color?

What do you mean by "colour coded"?  Do you mean like the enemy fishies are now; like each size has a specific color?

Yes, there should be one (or more, for intermediate sizes) color for each size. The colors should gradually change from one size to another and similar sizes should have similar colors.

What do you mean by "colour coded"?  Do you mean like the enemy fishies are now; like each size has a specific color?

Yes, there should be one (or more, for intermediate sizes) color for each size. The colors should gradually change from one size to another and similar sizes should have similar colors.

That's an interesting idea. :)

Has anyone found/unlocked the easter egg yet? :D

Well, I took a stab at some fishie sprites. Feel free to use or disregard any or all of 'em. ;)

[...]

So there you go. I hope some of it's useful, but if not, please don't feel any obligation to use them. Maybe someone else will need some fish someday. :D

By the way: Thanks a million, Nathan! I don't think I am willing to give up the quad-width fish, but I almost certainly will use (at least) some of your fish sprites. :)

By the way: Thanks a million, Nathan!  I don't think I am willing to give up the quad-width fish, but I almost certainly will use (at least) some of your fish sprites.  :)

You're welcome! If I can get past my blockophobia, maybe I'll look into working up some quad-width ones. ;)

Well, I just can't back down from a challenge... so here are some quad-width fishies.

Again, these are meant to be larger versions of the other fish, not completely different fish.

Size 13 - 6 (quad) x 9

size13.gif

Size 14 - 7 (quad) x 9

size14.gif

Size 15 - 8 (quad) x 9

size15.gif

Size 16 - 8 (quad) x 9

size16.gif

And the individual sprites:

These have four with mouth closed, four with mouth open:

Size 13 - 6 (quad) x 9

sprites13.gif

Size 14 - 7 (quad) x 9

sprites14.gif

Six with mouth closed, six with mouth open (the ones in color are identical sprites, but they're used twice in the animation cycles):

Size 15 - 8 (quad) x 9

sprites15.gif

And finally, eight with mouth closed, eight with mouth open (again - color sprites are identical, used twice in the animation cycles):

Size 16 - 8 (quad) x 9

sprites16a.gif

sprites16b.gif

So that'll give you a few more sizes to play with. :D

Edited by Nathan Strum

Well, I broke down and made it an 8K game, which gave me space for lots and lots of music. This version has the very rough draft of the music. It also gave me a lot more room for graphics data, so I pretty much completely reworked all the sprites, and I redesigned the font.

Plus I rewrote my horizontal positioning routine, which freed up space in my kernel, so I was able to make the bigger fishies taller as well as make the eel flash (similar to Pitfall II).

Lot's of changes. Things still to do: get the music done, revamp the title screen, and...? Whatever else I can find. :)

post-6060-1108772963_thumb.jpg

fishies8k.zip

wonderful!  Dude, if you release, this fishie game, running man, AND Prince of Persia all this year, I have no idea how I am going to pick next year's Homebrew of the Year Award. :D  :D  :D  :D

I'll tell you how, in three words: Homestar Runner RPG :D

Oh, and I'm just messing around with PoP...dunno if I'll end up actually doing something with it.

wonderful!  Dude, if you release, this fishie game, running man, AND Prince of Persia all this year, I have no idea how I am going to pick next year's Homebrew of the Year Award. :D  :D  :D  :D

I'll tell you how, in three words: Homestar Runner RPG :D

Oh, and I'm just messing around with PoP...dunno if I'll end up actually doing something with it.

IF HSRRPG gets released this year it will be tough to beat. But for now, Paul seems to have moved on to other projects.

This game is coming along very nicely! One sugestion I have would be to make sure that the smaller fish come out more often when you're tiny, as there were several occasions where I was sitting around waiting for another tiny fish to show up. This doesn't seem to be a problem when you get larger.

Are the sharks always deadly? How about the octopus? I haven't seen the flashing eel yet. :)

..Al

This rocks! :)

(I've yet to play it actually, but news is good!)

It reminds me of that fishy game I used to play all the time online... called Fishy from XGen studios? Hope it has similar music (that music was cool.... catchy little tune)

So is this going to be released in red cart form? :)

The shark, jellyfish, and eel are always deadly to the player. The eel seems to be restricted until the player reaches a certian size, but you can see them quicker by beginning a 2-player game (where the players' fish are already larger to start with).

IMO the delay still plays a part in the game (anticipation...just waiting for the player to slip up while he's waiting around for something to eat).

It reminds me of that fishy game I used to play all the time online... called Fishy from XGen studios?  Hope it has similar music (that music was cool.... catchy little tune)

That is what this game is based on...he said so back on page 3 ;) But the music isn't the same (IMO it's less repetitious in this version).