IGNORED

A li'l game...kinda fishie...

vdub_bobby

A couple of other gameplay-related thoughts... I think the player should have to face the other fish to eat them. Currently, you can back into smaller fish to kill them, and although that's not unusal for a videogame, it seems a little weird in context. It's sort of like the little fish die by swimming up the player's...

...well, you get the idea. Instead, maybe the smaller fish should bounce off you if they hit you from behind, and you have to chase them down.

Related to that, if the player hits a bigger fish from behind, instead of instantly dying, how about if the bigger fish whips around and pursues the player really fast. Sort of like, "You bumped into me? How dare you! Down the hatch, twerp!" :)

Interesting ideas...and as I think about it, they wouldn't be that hard to implement. Maybe I'll code that in and you guys can tell me what you think.

One little thing (If you'll allow me) :)

I don't know how close we're trying to get to Shark! Shark!, but in that game you can actually kill the Shark by nibbling on it's tail. Granted, when you nibble on it's tail the shark stops and turns around (so you have to be REAL fast) but it's still possible. After nibbling on it a few times, it finally dies (and you get bigger faster that way). But of course, each time you do kill him, the shark gets faster on the turnaround, and it takes more nibbles to kill him.

Just a thought :)

But this really is an great game - I'm loving it!

Bob

Ah... Insaniquarium. I have that on my Palm. Fun game, but not much to do with this game. (Insaniquarium puts you in the role of the fish owner, and your job is to feed the fish to get them to grow and ... erm ... excrete gold coins you collect to upgrade things like the type of food you feed them and such)

• 1 month later...

Alrighty then! I picked a name, to see who the winner is go here: http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65292

The new name is: Go Fish!

Also, here's a new version of Go Fish!

Lots of changes. Most notably:

-New title screen.

-New music.

-Holds onto highest three scores. Code a little buggy still, though. This is in anticipation of adding AtariVox support.

-A million little changes, like rewriting my music routine, shifting things around in memory, tightening up RAM usage, and lots and lots of tweaking.

I ripped off that ripple effect from Alex H's demo; I'm still waiting to hear from him if he's cool with that. If not, it'll come out. I was going to wait to hear from him before I posted the new version but I'm tired of waiting; I need some feedback on the changes.

So, feedback?

Enjoy ;)

gofish.zip

This looks awesome! Everything is nearly perfect. The only thing that I can think of is that the difficulty level seems to be way too easy. If you could make the game much more difficult, or perhaps even have different levels of difficulty (ie: easy, standard, difficult, impossible etc..) this would surely be a winner.

This looks awesome! Everything is nearly perfect. The only thing that I can think of is that the difficulty level seems to be way too easy. If you could make the game much more difficult, or perhaps even have different levels of difficulty (ie: easy, standard, difficult, impossible etc..) this would surely be a winner.

Thanks. And yeah, fine-tuning the difficulty level is a task and a half. I don't know if I will ever be satisfied with it.

And, actually, currently it gets way way too hard at the higher levels. Impossible, really. It needs tuning on both ends.

I really like the title screen.  

What I am missing most is some death animation. Maybe a fish skeleton spit out by the killing fish and then slowly sinking to the bottom?

Thanks. Definitely needs a death sound-effect and possibly a death animation. Sinking skeleton is a good idea, though I don't know if I have room for more sprites. Hmmm...actually, could probably get away with...maybe 5 different skeleton sprites. Might be enough. I'll think about that.

Oh yeah, I am planning a PAL version, but first I need to detach a bunch of stuff from the refresh-rate. :)

Great job with the game and great name to boot! And the title screen looks great, I really like the water effect. Hope you're able to keep it! The game's also coming along very nicely! Only played one game, need to play a few rounds a bit later and see how far I can get. :)

..Al

Oh yeah, I am planning a PAL version, but first I need to detach a bunch of stuff from the refresh-rate.  :)

I'd be surprised if any other game authors ever considered this. I believe that most just change the vertical blank and overscan timers, some but not all add a few scanlines to the visible screen and change the colors.

As you know, basically all 2600 games are tied closely to the vertical refresh rate, and I'd be surprised if any game companies ever cared that their PAL versions run at 84% speed.

Hi there!

I'd be surprised if any game companies ever cared that their PAL versions run at 84% speed.

Imagic did. Not only have most of their games adjusted PAL timings, there's also other stuff like one more treasure in the treasure room of Dragonfire for example.

Greetings,

Manuel

Oh yeah, I am planning a PAL version, but first I need to detach a bunch of stuff from the refresh-rate.  :)

I'd be surprised if any other game authors ever considered this. I believe that most just change the vertical blank and overscan timers, some but not all add a few scanlines to the visible screen and change the colors.

As you know, basically all 2600 games are tied closely to the vertical refresh rate, and I'd be surprised if any game companies ever cared that their PAL versions run at 84% speed.

I'll probably add lines to the visible screen, though not anything real exciting :)

Definitely update the colors.

But I have to do something about the speeds the fishies move at - I don't think I can accept a 17% slowdown. Might be tricky, though.

Somethings are just impossible, though - currently the sound effects are updated every other frame. So there is just no way for them to be as fast at 50 Hz. Though I maybe maybe can adjust the music tempo so that it stays approximately the same. Maybe.

Speaking of the sound effects; what do you all think? The 'gulping' effect (when you eat another fish) took forever to come up with. A LOT of trial and error. Not completely satisfied with it, though, but I don't know if I can do more with the TIA. :)

But I have to do something about the speeds the fishies move at - I don't think I can accept a 17% slowdown.  Might be tricky, though.

If there's enough time in the overscan/Vblank areas, you could just run the movement routines twice every 5th frame. I tried doing something like this before and it doesn't look jerky.

It looks very nice in Z26. However, I don't know what I'm supposed to do? I do know that hitting other fish kills the character.

Just a few optimistic words to enlighten or otherwise bring you inspiration... brought to you by Radiohead

The big fish eat the little ones

The big fish eat the little ones

Not my problem, give me some

You can try the best you can

If you try the best you can

The best you can is good enough

[/excerpt=Optimistic]

That song goes through my head every time I play this little homebrew. Haha.

Basic game plan: Eat fish the same size or smaller than you and avoid the big fish, eels, and sharks!

arrow keys - move your fish

ctrl - start the game

Alternatively, you could invest in one of these. It's not perfect (it clicks funny and the button is mapped to button 2 on my PC), but it's not bad either and you can't beat the price! Joy2key takes care of the button mapping problem; You can map your joystick's buttons to any keyboard/mouse buttons you'd like!

If that doesn't appeal to you, there's always the Stelladapter. Or if you don't like emulation in general, there's also the Krokocart. :wink: So many options! I recommend all of the above.

[edit] When I got my redoctane joysticks, they were five bucks a piece with free shipping. It was worth the risk to me. The company was very professional, the package showed up promptly, and I haven't been disappointed. As far as I can tell, the free shipping isn't offered anymore, so depending on how much the price shoots up because of where you live, you'll have to decide whether or not it is worth it to you.

okay, sorry for going off topic. I am the off-topic queen! kthx

• 3 weeks later...

Label contest, in case you missed it :)

And a new version of Go Fish! should be ready soon...the long list is shrinking slowly.

I'll share the to-do list, just for fun:

To do:

-1P death sound, animation (and music? or no music?)

-2P game-over sound/music

-Color tweaking

-Gameplay tweaking

-Finish "hard" variation

-AtariVox speech

-AtariVox high-score saving

-Rewrite music routine (again :roll:) to use less data

-Have Tommy rewrite game-play music (again :roll:)

-PAL conversion

-Miscellaneous little things