IGNORED

VGXPO : November 12/13 : Fort Washington, PA

Mark Wolfe

SWEET!

Don't worry about the venue change. I go to a fishing expo at Ft. Washington every year and that place is HUGE!   :D

The sportsman show?

Yep I am gonna be a pessimist on this one.- I refused to go to any event there last year after the fiasco at the pet expo so it's been 2 yrs since I've seen the place.

FW is huge but it's always seemed poorly organized. It's just harder to find a hotel and it was a nice luxury I am sure to be able to go downstairs to a venue for those staying at VF. Lighting seemed so much brighter at VF. Parking is a pain at FW IMO with all the levels in the back and the pavement was falling apart. I just never liked it and had bad experiences w/ people there. I wouldn't pay to go to a show there no matter how cheap. If there was more then 1 con (usually was) it really became a mad house.

I would also worry that vendor costs will be going up esp. w/ free admission and added media coverage. We wanted to get a table to sell our extra stuff especially with moving and all. But I saw someone mention something about having to charge sales tax in a diff thread?

Maybe they have fixed it up. :) I really do hope you guys have a great show! It's going to be a bummer with the possibility of not seeing everyone but it's that time of year and besides the birthdays of me hubby and dad it's also our wedding anniversary.

I would also worry that vendor costs will be going up esp. w/ free admission and added media coverage. We wanted to get a table to sell our extra stuff especially with moving and all. But I saw someone mention something about having to charge sales tax in a diff thread?

Yeah that was me. The worst part was having it sprung on us at the last minute, like the week before the show. I know it was a suprise for the organizers too, but for a small, out-of-state seller it was a big inconvenience. Hopefully they've got it all sorted out this year :)

Looking forward to the show guys!

I did see this page but I was wondering if somebody know the area and knew what the closest hotel was. I can do it the hard way but I just thought I'd ask to see if somebody knew off the top of their head.

This is something I'll also need to know--by your question I assume there is not a hotel (or two!) integrated into the expo center as was the case with Valley Forge. Given the larger size of this hall, I assume there will be a decent selection of hotels nearby.

..Al

I made a reservation at the Holiday Inn in Fort Washington. It's about 1.5 miles from the Expo Center. It's the closest hotel to the show site, so I chose this hotel.

The only problem some of will have is carting around all our stuff. If the show were at the previous site, you could just take everything to your room. Maybe some nice people will let us put our stuff "under" the tables while we walk around?? :ponder:

minorleagueguy

I made a reservation at the Holiday Inn in Fort Washington. It's about 1.5 miles from the Expo Center. It's the closest hotel to the show site, so I chose this hotel.

The only problem some of will have is carting around all our stuff. If the show were at the previous site, you could just take everything to your room.  

Yeah, the big advantage of staying in an attached hotel is being able to get up to your room easily and quickly. This is especially the case with vendors, who have to be at the show early and stay later. And I'm usually scrambling (along with several others) to get everything setup for the AtariAge booth the night before the show opens. Is that really the closest hotel to the Expo Center?

Maybe some nice people will let us put our stuff "under" the tables while we walk around?? :ponder:

I'm happy to oblige as much as I can, but we usually have quite a bit crammed under our tables. Might be worse this year if we can't leave some stuff in our room. Depends how large our booth is this year. :)

..Al

Al,

Yes, it's the closest hotel. If you "google" Fort Washington Expo Center, follow the link to the hotels. One other hotel is slightly farther than the H.I.

The Holiday Inn offers shuttle service up to 6 miles, so I plan to use this on Saturday, back and forth. I'm only staying fri and sat, and have to leave on Sunday, as I'm taking Amtrak to Philly.

It would be nice to leave our "stuff" with someone we trust, but if you are cramped for space, no big deal. I'm looking forward to going, seeing everyone, and spending all my money!!

minorleagueguy

Maybe we should decide what hotel to get so we can all get the same hotel. Anybody want to decide where to stay. It's going to be a little vacation for me and my wife and kid are coming so I'd rather not stay at a crappy hotel. Any suggestions?

Allan

I can't promise anything but I'll talk to hubby and see if we can take a short trip in the coming weeks to scout out the area and get info on hotels. We'll also try to take pics of the area. There are a lot of peopel on AA that are like "extended" family and I miss seeing you guys from last yr. *sniffle* I like hugs.

I would also recommend anyone who has AAA service, is disabled or is military to check w/ hotels to see about discounts.

How does everyone know who is who?  Is there an "AA" sign in booth or do all the AA members wear logo t-shirts? :ponder: ...

We usually make up some AtariAge name badges, and that has worked fairly well in advance. Sometime before the show, we'll put a call out for people who want AA name badges, and then we print up nice ones in advance that people can pick up at the booth. Gives us a chance to meet everyone, and makes it easier to find people you speak to on the boards. We also try to take a picture at the show where everyone gets together. Here's the one from last year (and no, I'm not in the picture--the ones with me didn't come out very well).

..Al

(and no, I'm not in the picture--the ones with me didn't come out very well).  

..Al

Hey, that's not fair...I guess that is why they say, "It's good to be the King!"... :P

Thanks for the info...guess I'll have to find my way to the booth! :cool:

:D

We also usually start a roll call thread a week or two before philly. If you're going, post what you're going to wear and a general discription of what you look like.

I'm the short bald guy in the blue T-shirt, standing in the front row in the picture Albert posted.

I wear my AA T-shirt for one of the days of PC. Not the day this pic was taken, obviously.

I'm sorry to say, but I have my doubts that will be able to attend. :(

For those of us who actually care about college football, PC6 is being held at the worst possible time of the year.

As I stated in a previous thread, if PC6 was booked on the same weekend as a home game for my college's football team - we probably wouldn't be able to attend.

Unfortunately, this has turned out to be the case. Iowa St. plays Colorado at home on Nov. 12th. This WILL be a good game, and because we pay so much to get season tickets - it's hard to even think about giving them up. If this had been the weekend we played Baylor, it wouldn't be an issue.

I can't say for sure that we won't be there, but it's not looking good. I'll have to discuss further with MMF.

Nope, that's a home game, we've got season tickets, and Colorado is a BITTER rival for Cyclone fans. Missing that game, especially after last year, would be like burning my beloved ISU leather jacket in effigy. Sorry guys, we won't be at PC6. I hate missing it, but maybe if it had been held in the spring instead of the middle of college football season... and NOVEMBER to boot.. I mean what, a con in November? That's more like Philly FREEZE than Philly CLASSIC.

Nope, that's a home game, we've got season tickets, and Colorado is a BITTER rival for Cyclone fans.  Missing that game, especially after last year, would be like burning my beloved ISU leather jacket in effigy.  Sorry guys, we won't be at PC6.  I hate missing it, but maybe if it had been held in the spring instead of the middle of college football season... and NOVEMBER to boot.. I mean what, a con in November?  That's more like Philly FREEZE than Philly CLASSIC.

That is the second time someone who does not live here has blasted the weather in October/November. sheesh.

I have already posted statistical weather data earlier in this thread showing that the average temp that time of year is crisp but hardly freezing, and no snow or storms. It is probably one of the few times a year that Eastern Pennsylvania is at its most comfortable.

A couple people rightly pointed out that March is actually far far worse in terms of weather AND in terms of conflicting with events that actually have something to do with video games that make it very hard for us to get people in the industry to show up or support us.

This expo already gets tons of people because they advertise the hell out of it, adding classic and modern videogames as its own separate entity, a show within the show, is going to really bring a LOT of people in.

I'm sorry you won't be there. hopefully next time.

-

I grew up a grand total of 10 miles from the expo center, and the weather in November isn't bad at all. Not great weather, but not cold or snowy like middle of the winter. Either way I too liked the spring time better also. Ill be in Colorado rooting for Colorado... :ponder: As I found out I made it into gradschool. :D

Nope, that's a home game, we've got season tickets, and Colorado is a BITTER rival for Cyclone fans.  Missing that game, especially after last year, would be like burning my beloved ISU leather jacket in effigy.  Sorry guys, we won't be at PC6.  I hate missing it, but maybe if it had been held in the spring instead of the middle of college football season... and NOVEMBER to boot.. I mean what, a con in November?  That's more like Philly FREEZE than Philly CLASSIC.

That is the second time someone who does not live here has blasted the weather in October/November. sheesh.

I have already posted statistical weather data earlier in this thread showing that the average temp that time of year is crisp but hardly freezing, and no snow or storms. It is probably one of the few times a year that Eastern Pennsylvania is at its most comfortable.

A couple people rightly pointed out that March is actually far far worse in terms of weather AND in terms of conflicting with events that actually have something to do with video games that make it very hard for us to get people in the industry to show up or support us.

This expo already gets tons of people because they advertise the hell out of it, adding classic and modern videogames as its own separate entity, a show within the show, is going to really bring a LOT of people in.

I'm sorry you won't be there. hopefully next time.

-

We're not trying to dog on the weather, per se. In fact, I've never been to Philly in November, so I'm taking your word for it. :) It's just that when you live in Nebraska, winter has already started by the time November rolls around. Over here in the Midwest, you know it's November when you go to a college football game looking/dressing like an Eskimo and drinking hot chocolate the whole time.

Last year, the Eskimo suit came out on October 30th. I just forgot the gloves that day. I ended up buying a pair of socks at the souvenir stands (they ran out of gloves!) and put them on my hands just to stay warm. My methods were redneck, but definitely effective. Hopefully that doesn't happen again this year!

It's funny about the conflict with football season. My brother wouldn't attend the previous PC's because they were held on the weekend of the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament. He likes classic gaming but is not a huge fan. He is a big football fan also and will probably use that as an excuse to not attend PC6.

So it really comes down to, what do you like more? For me, classic gaming and the PC trumps all of my other hobbies and forms of entertainment.

I do attend one Ohio State football game a year and if this happens to fall on the same day, I think the Bucks will still do fine without me.

I think it's better to hold the convention in the fall or spring. You're going to have better attendance from the casual fan than if you held it when the weather is nice. And that's the reason to make these decisions, because there are a lot more casual fans than diehards like us.