IGNORED

VGXPO : November 12/13 : Fort Washington, PA

Mark Wolfe

I think it's better to hold the convention in the fall or spring.  You're going to have better attendance from the casual fan than if you held it when the weather is nice.   And that's the reason to make these decisions, because there are a lot more casual fans than diehards like us.

I firmly believe that [and David and Ed will confirm that I say this constantly] The majority of people who will come to Philly Classic don't even know it yet and probably won't until a few weeks or days before or even the day of.

Many of those same people don't know they are about to become classic gaming fans, and perhaps even "die hards" like us.

This is a chance to turn on 10,000 + people to Classic Gaming the way its supposed to be and not crammed in some crummily designed hand held all-in-one arcade crap.

We simply can not pass an opportunity like this up. I think that no matter what the dates were, that someone would be dissapointed. There are far more things that are conflicting for us when we do a show in the spring and it has always been a source of frustration. I think starting off in a fresh venue and season will be great, FW really is huge and when decorated professionally blows away the cracking walls and yellowing linoulium of the over crowded and cramped VFCC.

It's funny about the conflict with football season.  My brother wouldn't attend the previous PC's because they were held on the weekend of the first round of the NCAA basketball tournament.  He likes classic gaming but is not a huge fan.  He is a big football fan also and will probably use that as an excuse to not attend PC6.

So it really comes down to, what do you like more?  For me, classic gaming and the PC trumps all of my other hobbies and forms of entertainment.

I do attend one Ohio State football game a year and if this happens to fall on the same day, I think the Bucks will still do fine without me.

I think it's better to hold the convention in the fall or spring.  You're going to have better attendance from the casual fan than if you held it when the weather is nice.   And that's the reason to make these decisions, because there are a lot more casual fans than diehards like us.

Michigan game... :ponder:

I do attend one Ohio State football game a year and if this happens to fall on the same day, I think the Bucks will still do fine without me.

Michigan game... :ponder:

Okay, I had not thought of that one. It's in Michigan this year so I know I won't get the chance to buy tickets for that one.

If the game fell on the same weekend, I would have to buy a vendor table just so I could hook up a TV to watch the game. Good thing it's nationally televised. The game ususally falls on Thanksgiving weekend anyway.

I could just videotape the game, as my brother and sister did this year. (They were in Cancun at the time.) Besides, I was lucky enough to attend the 2002 Michigan game.

Nope, that's a home game, we've got season tickets, and Colorado is a BITTER rival for Cyclone fans.  Missing that game, especially after last year, would be like burning my beloved ISU leather jacket in effigy.  Sorry guys, we won't be at PC6.  I hate missing it, but maybe if it had been held in the spring instead of the middle of college football season... and NOVEMBER to boot.. I mean what, a con in November?  That's more like Philly FREEZE than Philly CLASSIC.

Man, if only football was good.

I dunno, we held AGE in 2003 at the end of July. Everyone is out of school and the weather is generally sunny every day of the summer here in Austin. However, the weather was around 100 degrees, which is typical for that time of year. We did quite well with attendance, having 2,300 people walk through the door for the single day the event was held. Would we have done better if the show was held in the spring or fall? I don't really think so, but you never know. :)

..Al

Anyone wanna help me get to a hotel or something when I fly in to Philly?  I've never done all this before. I'd hate to have to get a cab. :D

If we all decide to stay at one hotel that wont be a problem.

So has anaybody looked to see what might be a good choice for a hotel?

Allan

I live fifteen minutes from Fort Washington so I will be there. I hope they get another Sid Meier type programer. I thought Sid was extreemly persnable and interesting to talk to. Is that Cindy Morgan going to be there AGAIN? If so, I ghave a specific picture from Caddyshack for her to sign...

I'll of course be there with Stan, but I am a little nervous about all the changes with PhillyClassic. I'm also wondering how much a vendor table will cost now, as well as whether or not we'll have to deal with sales tax--I had no idea I was going to be confronted about it by some unfriendly-acting officials last year. I'm a hobbyist from out of state for crying out loud! I'd love to bring more artwork to the show like I did last year, but I'm not going to plan on it until I know more about the cost and the tax situation. I hope it's available soon, because the more notice I have, the longer I'll have to prepare, and the cooler the results will be.

I dunno, we held AGE in 2003 at the end of July. Everyone is out of school and the weather is generally sunny every day of the summer here in Austin. However, the weather was around 100 degrees, which is typical for that time of year. We did quite well with attendance, having 2,300 people walk through the door for the single day the event was held. Would we have done better if the show was held in the spring or fall? I don't really think so, but you never know. :)

..Al

Well I meant specifically Philly. I'm guessing the overall climate in Philly is similar to Cincinnati which leaves a four month window where we have decent weather to spend outdoors. The casual fan in the summer might head off to the pool, amusement park or for a round of golf instead of a classic gaming convention. In November or March, what else are you going to do for fun?

I was in Austin for the AGE and the summer is a good time to hold a show there. When I stepped out of the Austin airport, I couldn't get into my rental car fast enough so I could crank up the air conditioner. I was amazed I had to keep the AC on in the car all the time, even when driving well after midnight.

I don't know how the winters are in Austin, but you have to at least have a longer window where you can comfortably participate in outdoor activites. The casual fan in Austin might prefer to get out of that 100 degree heat.

I'll of course be there with Stan, but I am a little nervous about all the changes with PhillyClassic. I'm also wondering how much a vendor table will cost now, as well as whether or not we'll have to deal with sales tax--I had no idea I was going to be confronted about it by some unfriendly-acting officials last year. I'm a hobbyist from out of state for crying out loud! I'd love to bring more artwork to the show like I did last year, but I'm not going to plan on it until I know more about the cost and the tax situation. I hope it's available soon, because the more notice I have, the longer I'll have to prepare, and the cooler the results will be.

We definitely want you to come to PC6. I promise the details and nuts and bolts of this will be posted when we have a solid game plan. We only just found out on Friday about the confirmed dates.

The tax man hit all of us unexpectedly and the presence and timing of that did not go unnoticed by our vendors. [and us]

November weather around here can swing like a pendulum. It could be in the 50s, sunny and beautiful or cold, raining/sleeting and nasty. This gets worse through maybe October till December when snow sometimes decides to mix in. Now Upper Ohio is worse as well as more northern states. We've been pretty lucky IMO last few years and winter has started fairly late. I think Mother Nature flips a coin to decide. :)

It's great to hear that you've locked down dates and a location for the show!  It'll be strange being in a different venue, but there was nothing really special about the Valley Forge Convention Center.  :)  That's a pretty sizable increase in space, I'd like to know what you're planning with it!  And I very much look forward to the larger announcement in a week!

I was also wondering about the weather in mid-November, but I can't imagine it's any worse than the weather in March when the show has been previously held.  After the 2004 show, we got caught near white-out conditions trying to flee the state!  :)  And most of March is still technically winter, while November is fully in the fall..  

..Al

I wont miss Valley Forges poor logistics of getting equipment in/out, this new venue has the shipping doors all right at parking lot level and you can actually drive vehicles right into the big doors... heck at the NBC10 Tech Expo's they have a full helicopter inside for people to check out!!!

Curt

I wont miss Valley Forges poor logistics of getting equipment in/out, this new venue has the shipping doors all right at parking lot level and you can actually drive vehicles right into the big doors... heck at the NBC10 Tech Expo's they have a full helicopter inside for people to check out!!!

Yeah, loading and unloading at Valley Forge was always somewhat of a pain. Having direct access to the room will be much nicer, although I doubt they'll let us drive vehicles around inside. :)

..Al

...  I doubt they'll let us drive vehicles around inside.  :)

Actually they DO... during official load in times. its freakin' great. :D

Hot damn, that will surely make things MUCH easier. Just drive the truck or cargo van right up to your booth and unload it without having to make multiple trips to wherever your vehicle may be parked outside. Also nice not having to worry about the weather, and you can take your time loading/unloading. :)

..Al

...  I doubt they'll let us drive vehicles around inside.  :)

Actually they DO... during official load in times. its freakin' great. :D

Hot damn, that will surely make things MUCH easier. Just drive the truck or cargo van right up to your booth and unload it without having to make multiple trips to wherever your vehicle may be parked outside. Also nice not having to worry about the weather, and you can take your time loading/unloading. :)

..Al

The Hot Damn! is seconded! VFCC was a frigging bitch to get the stuff out of. If Tempest rents a U-Haul for any cabinetry that he might be thinking of bring home this year, then all will be truly right with the world! :wink:

Just so you guys know.... you can't like drive ALL through the place ya know...

You can't take your van across the show floor to use the bathroom for instance... however, there are numerous ground level loading doors [big enough for a helicopter with its propeller folded] and you can drive inside... within reason.

Ed, Curt, Mike and I were lucky two years runnin' when our Tech Expo booth was located about 20 yeards from the loading bay.

Anyway, I don't want to see any Need for Speed [or worse: "Night Driver"] type $h!t... mmmkay ALs?

:P

You can't take your van across the show floor to use the bathroom for instance... however, there are numerous ground level loading doors [big enough for a helicopter with its propeller folded] and you can drive inside... within reason.  

LOL. :)

Can you actually get inside the exhibition hall, then? I mean, if I wanted to drive in and unload a van and then exit? Or would I need to use one of the ground level loading doors? Not really a big deal, but definitely would be easier. For instance, there usually aren't very many carts around (maybe none if there's no hotel attached to the place), so if you don't bring your own carts, that can make it even more difficult. I do have a single cart I bought a while ago (and it has proved invaluable!) but if I know I won't be needing it, then I don't have to worry about squeezing it into the truck as the last item that goes on. :)

..Al

woot, i am going to start putting money aside to go.

i know its early, but it would be outstanding if a group of us midwest types all drove out there together considering gas prices and what not.

and about college football and the MMF family, if the game is indeed a rivalry, then scalping your ticket for the game should ease the pain you pay for the season tickets.

and im pretty certain that OSU is not playing michigan that early

LOL. :)

Can you actually get inside the exhibition hall, then? I mean, if I wanted to drive in and unload a van and then exit? Or would I need to use one of the ground level loading doors? Not really a big deal, but definitely would be easier. For instance, there usually aren't very many carts around (maybe none if there's no hotel attached to the place), so if you don't bring your own carts, that can make it even more difficult. I do have a single cart I bought a while ago (and it has proved invaluable!) but if I know I won't be needing it, then I don't have to worry about squeezing it into the truck as the last item that goes on. :)

..Al

yeah you can get in the main hall since its all connected and when stripped of any dressing is basically like one HUGE friggin room, more like an airplane hanger. As I recall they had some carts available but I will make sure that all these details are discussed and posted when we get that far.

also the loading doors are the load in area you use, there is no other good way to load in, but they have like 8 doors and each one is big enough for a semi so you're good to go. its just a matter of how far will the philly classic area be from those doors.

as soon as I have a clear idea of all this I will share it :)