IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

Ok, this may have been asked before but will the Flashback 2.0 be considered another production run of the VCS since it will be capable of taking carts withs minor mods or will it be considered something else altogether?

Support Fonzie :cool:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69490

Edited by sandmountainslim

It could in a way, though being a stand-alone system (that needs to have a soldering iron taken to it at least to take carts), it's more its own beast.

Open to interpretation. Would a Coloeco Gemini or a Brazilian TV-Boy thingy be considered "another production run of VCSs"?

It could in a way, though being a stand-alone system (that needs to have a soldering iron taken to it at least to take carts), it's more its own beast.

Open to interpretation. Would a Coloeco Gemini or a Brazilian TV-Boy thingy be considered "another production run of VCSs"?

860729[/snapback]

No, industry wise a production run is defined as the release of said product by the product's owner. When a company releases it's quarterly reports, they don't count clones. ;) The Gemini and TV-Boy are clones not produced by the original manufacturerer. Otherwise you could say the NES/Famicom has never left production since it was released in 1983, since there's all the pirate/clone systems out there and NES-On-A-Chips still being manufactured.

Nope, what you heard is you can play Arcade Pong with the paddle if you plug them in, it will auto-sense joysticks or paddles.    The hidden games are hidden, you have to find them with a joystick sequence, plugging in paddles will not reveal the hidden games.

Curt

I read somewhere that if you plug in paddle controllers, you can play two hidden games that require them.

859959[/snapback]

860030[/snapback]

OK so will it play breakout with a paddle or not? Because I have a Jakks plug and play paddle on which I love breakout, circus atari, and night driver (except for the colors), but it was the same cost as the FB2 will be!

So I have two weeks to left to return it, and I will do so if I will be able to play paddle games with new paddles eventually on FB2?

And anyone familiar with Jakks Paddles- am I not "really" playing breakout (like the first FB)? If so, I should return it anyways, but wheth er I can buy new paddles, or if I have to deal w/Ebayians is a HUGE factor to me.

Recently I heard of someone buying a FB console for their four year old son's birthday. So a new generation is discovering some form of the 2600. Just wait till those new joysticks get out there! :D

861477[/snapback]

i plan on buying one for my five-year old nephew.

OK so will it play breakout with a paddle or not?  Because I have a Jakks plug and play paddle on which I love breakout, circus atari, and night driver  (except for the colors), but it was the same cost as the FB2 will be

So I have two weeks to left to return it, and I will do so if I will be able to play paddle games with new paddles eventually on FB2? 

And anyone familiar with Jakks Paddles-  am I not "really" playing breakout (like the first FB)?  If so, I should return it anyways, but wheth er I can buy new paddles, or if I have to deal w/Ebayians is a HUGE factor to me.

861457[/snapback]

The Jakks paddle games are very good emulations, but they aren't the "real thing." If you have to ask, though, it doesn't matter.

The Jakks paddle game is cheap, and it includes games that aren't on any version of the Flashback. Why worry? Keep what you have and get the FB2 when it comes out. It's not a lot of money.

OK so will it play breakout with a paddle or not?  Because I have a Jakks plug and play paddle on which I love breakout, circus atari, and night driver  (except for the colors), but it was the same cost as the FB2 will be

And anyone familiar with Jakks Paddles-  am I not "really" playing breakout (like the first FB)?  If so, I should return it anyways, but wheth er I can buy new paddles, or if I have to deal w/Ebayians is a HUGE factor to me.

861457[/snapback]

The Jakks paddle games are very good emulations, but they aren't the "real thing." If you have to ask, though, it doesn't matter.

The Jakks paddle game is cheap, and it includes games that aren't on any version of the Flashback. Why worry? Keep what you have and get the FB2 when it comes out. It's not a lot of money.

861544[/snapback]

I guess thirty bucks is nothing to you, lol. Thanks though. I will consider keeping it, because I have been playing arcade breakout more than anything else on it anyways.

Having to ask means I don't remember well enough to know the difference, but I still would prefer authenticity, if possible. Especially new.

So would anyone (who thinks I'm worthy of an answer lol) care to tell me whether I will be able to play breakout on the fb2 with NEW paddles?

861457[/snapback]

861544[/snapback]

I guess thirty bucks is nothing to you, lol. Thanks though. I will consider keeping it, because I have been playing arcade breakout more than anything else on it anyways.

Having to ask means I don't remember well enough to know the difference, but I still would prefer authenticity, if possible. Especially new.

So would anyone (who thinks I'm worthy of an answer lol) care to tell me whether I will be able to play breakout on the fb2 with NEW paddles?

862574[/snapback]

Yes you will be able to use paddles!

do we have any idea how long after the unit comes out NEW paddles will be available?

(thank you very much)

EDIT: hahahhaa hoping for sa vs mia finals! shaqs gotta man up though huh? he looked scared at the end of that game w/ball in hands (ft's). wade cant do it all.

Edited by jlh2600

do we have any idea how long after the unit comes out NEW paddles will be available?

(thank you very much)

EDIT:  hahahhaa hoping for sa vs mia finals!  shaqs gotta man up though huh?  he looked scared at the end of that game w/ball in hands (ft's).  wade cant do it all.

862580[/snapback]

I thought you asked if paddles will work, yes paddles will. You would need to ask Curt if there will be new paddles and joysticks sold separately after the release! Im leaning towards that new paddles will be available 8)

I hate hack & shaq :|

Edited by ATARIeric

It's not a lot of money.

$29.95 isn't a lot considering all you are getting. Beyond just the games there's the novelty of the presentation box in the style of the old VCS days, the retro shape of the FB2, and you even get some authentic controllers that can be used on old consoles. As has been said above it's a nice novelty gift for young gamers, and you really can't go wrong at this price.

I was just counting all the 2600 games I have. 35 games, mostly boxed and bought when the VCS was current. But, that's still less than the 40 that come with the FB2.

It's not a lot of money.

$29.95 isn't a lot considering all you are getting. Beyond just the games there's the novelty of the presentation box in the style of the old VCS days, the retro shape of the FB2, and you even get some authentic controllers that can be used on old consoles. As has been said above it's a nice novelty gift for young gamers, and you really can't go wrong at this price.

I was just counting all the 2600 games I have. 35 games, mostly boxed and bought when the VCS was current. But, that's still less than the 40 that come with the FB2.

862614[/snapback]

No you're right it's a super buy for that. I was referring to the thirty dollars I paid for the plug and play paddles (two player version)- I guess I got ripped off on that. It's just hard to justify keeping them now (Ican still return them this week) if I can eventually get NEW, REAL paddles w.fb. But if it's a maybe thing, a next year thing, or ANOTHER thirty dollar thing, I may keep the plug and play. It's not much, but 30 +30 +30 adds up (for me).

Eric- yeah I hate hack-a-shaq too (you can blame don nelson for it). Just from a fan's perspective, it grinds the game to a hault. BUt it used to never work b.c hed always hit them when it counted. Now they just need to sit his ass down and let wade take over end of game.

$29.95 isn't a lot considering all you are getting.

Dang, no kidding. Just think of it as buying a copy of Thrust+ (for slightly less than the Atari Age store sells it), and then they throw in a console, a joystick, and 40 games for free!

862792[/snapback]

Without the cool clear cart its NOTHING without the clear cart, it just feels so... naked...

Edited by keilbaca

Dang, no kidding. Just think of it as buying a copy of Thrust+ (for slightly less than the Atari Age store sells it), and then they throw in a console, a joystick, and 40 games for free!

862792[/snapback]

Wow, I love the way your mind works! BEST RATIONALIZATION EVER! Seriously! Now I can't wait to hear that Thrust theme song coming from a real live VCS.

(even if it's only 39 "other" games -- many of these are exclusives! and most of them aren't on the paddle controllers! don't be so cheap-- it costs money to play games!)

862792[/snapback]

Wow, I love the way your mind works! BEST RATIONALIZATION EVER! Seriously! Now I can't wait to hear that Thrust theme song coming from a real live VCS.

(even if it's only 39 "other" games -- many of these are exclusives! and most of them aren't on the paddle controllers! don't be so cheap-- it costs money to play games!)

863014[/snapback]

I wonder how much the whole bundle would cost if we were to separate each game as well as the 2600 with paddles and the A/V mod? I don't know what the average price is these days for a wood grain 2600, but if you were to get every game in cartridge form (and lets imagine the new games showing up on the FB2 as new releases which seem to go for $20-$30 usually), the FB2 package would probably be worth over $100 in the form I'm speaking of. So I definently see it as a great deal. I'm still surprised that there are a few who don't want to pick it up considering the new titles like Yars Return this will include. :cool:

BTW- Curt or anyone else have a pic of Yars Return yet?

It's not a lot of money.

862614[/snapback]

No you're right it's a super buy for that. I was referring to the thirty dollars I paid for the plug and play paddles (two player version)- I guess I got ripped off on that. It's just hard to justify keeping them now (Ican still return them this week) if I can eventually get NEW, REAL paddles w.fb. But if it's a maybe thing, a next year thing, or ANOTHER thirty dollar thing, I may keep the plug and play. It's not much, but 30 +30 +30 adds up (for me).

862618[/snapback]

Dang, no kidding. Just think of it as buying a copy of Thrust+ (for slightly less than the Atari Age store sells it)...

I am very sorry, but I have to disappoint everybody here. I had to cancel the deal because "Atari" and I could not come to agreeable terms to satisfy both sides. :sad:

BTW: Before anybody starts speculating: It was not about money at all.

Dang, no kidding. Just think of it as buying a copy of Thrust+ (for slightly less than the Atari Age store sells it)...

I am very sorry, but I have to disappoint everybody here. I had to cancel the deal because "Atari" and I could not come to agreeable terms to satisfy both sides. :sad:

BTW: Before anybody starts speculating: It was not about money at all.

863311[/snapback]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

<breathes>

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:x :x :x

Wow - I'm surprised people aren't more upset about this (maybe news hasn't spread yet?). Is there going to be an official announcement from Atari about this since Thrust was listed as one of the 40 games?

Any news on a possible replacement?

This sucks. :sad: