IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

asteroids deluxe kicks ass!  does that mean its gonna be like the arcade version of deluxe with the shield instead of hyperspace ?  what about the the triangles that when you shoot it,  they break down into small ships and come after you ?

is it gonna be arcade style ?

858442[/snapback]

Lets hope so. I imagine they'll try the vector look on that as well. And speaking of vectors, the vector graphics on Lunar Lander (from the picture on the box) are impressive.

* 3D Tic-Tac-Toe

* Adventure, Adventure II, Aquaventure, Arcade Asteroids, Arcade Pong, Asteroids Deluxe, Atari Climber

* Caverns Of Mars, Centipede, Combat, Combat 2

* Dodge'm

* Fatal Run, Frog Pond

* Hangman, Haunted House, Human Cannonball

* Lunar Lander

* Maze Craze, Millipede, Missile Command

* Off the Wall, Outlaw

* Pitfall

* Quadrun

* Radar Lock, Return To Haunted House, River Raid

* Saboteur, Save Mary, Secret Quest, Space Duel, Space War

* Thrust

* Video Checkers, Video Chess

* Wizard

* Yars' Return, Yars' Revenge

Quadrun?!?!?!?! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I see a bunch of unknown games on there, like Atari climber, Asteroids Deluxe, Return to haunted house. Arcade asteroids is just the vector hack. Which is cool, don't get me wrong.

But... Quadrun... YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

banana.gif

858424[/snapback]

To sum it up in one word, "awesome", I cannot wait to get my hands on one!

:lust:

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

Lets hope so. I imagine they'll try the vector look on that as well. And speaking of vectors, the vector graphics on Lunar Lander (from the picture on the box) are impressive.

858486[/snapback]

Forget Hope, It better be! :D

I am jonzing for the FB2.0 8) :thumbsup: Ive got my starplex controller all ready for certain games ;) Man if the graphics are vector type on the deluxe im gonna be thrilled out of my mind with this little under $30 hobby toy 8) :thumbsup:

Edited by ATARIeric

Isn't Cavers of Mars supposed to be a 400/800 title ???

On the Atari CD-ROM (E3 Presskit), the picture used even includes the 400/800 default font.

Any idea ?

858676[/snapback]

CoM did first appear on the A8. It was released through the APX. Do you have any pictures of the FB 2.0 version? I'd love to see it.

How much longer do I have to wait for this thing????   :D  :D

858505[/snapback]

I hope around early/mid june :)

858554[/snapback]

Yay!!! :grin:

My wife is driving me crazy over this, she cant wait to get her hands on this thing, me either.. lol

Here are pictures taken today @ E3.

I had a long discussion with Oliver Comte from Atari France and more (3.0, etc.) will definitely be coming if the second Flashback is a success.

Enjoy !

858665[/snapback]

Thanks for the pics Andy. Yes, there's lots of cool stuff in the works thanks to Curt.

Also, so people know - the units on display at E3 are special 10 game units without the special menu. Hence the spartan game listing in the one photo.

Here are pictures taken today @ E3.

I had a long discussion with Oliver Comte from Atari France and more (3.0, etc.) will definitely be coming if the second Flashback is a success.

Enjoy !

858665[/snapback]

Thanks for the pics Andy. Yes, there's lots of cool stuff in the works thanks to Curt.

Also, so people know - the units on display at E3 are special 10 game units without the special menu. Hence the spartan game listing in the one photo.

858864[/snapback]

I was wondering about that, thanks for the clarification.

Well, I hope that the FB2 is a success for Atari. I am really curious to know what else they have planned as far as hardware goes. It's great to have Atari releasing hardware again, even if it is in the form of dedicated systems.

Also, so people know - the units on display at E3 are special 10 game units without the special menu.  Hence the spartan game listing in the one photo.

I really hope the final unit's menu system has a "just show me all the games" option, for those of us who already know what everything is. Being forced to navigate through some cute interface every time will get annoying really fast.

Well, I hope that the FB2 is a success for Atari. I am really curious to know what else they have planned as far as hardware goes. It's great to have Atari releasing hardware again, even if it is in the form of dedicated systems.

There's one drawback about producing hardware in this day and age: $$$ margins are almost non existent.

In other words, Flashback 2.0 can't just be a "success". It has to be a "major success" so that Atari can make some decent money on this product then the 3.0 will show up with even more features.

BTW- when I mentioned the possibility of a USB plug to upload bins with a MAC / PC, Olivier told me it was a possibility for the future (so please spend your $$$ - maybe each Atari user should purchase 3 units).

AB.

Edited by andy_bernstein

There's one drawback about producing hardware in this day and age: $$$ margins are almost non existent.

Yeah. I'm really surprised the announced retail price is only $30. The 10-in-1 joysticks were selling for $20 at one point. (Still are?)

I'm surprised they can make any money selling it for so cheap.

In other words, Flashback 2.0 can't just be a "success". It has to be a "major success" so that Atari can make some decent money on this product then the 3.0 will show up with even more features.

Why do people keep mentioning the "3.0"? The ".0" in "2.0" rather strongly implies that there'll be a "2.1", "2.2", etc, don't you think?

If not, there's a marketdroid somewhere who needs a swift kick in the backside.

Why do people keep mentioning the "3.0"? The ".0" in "2.0" rather strongly implies that there'll be a "2.1", "2.2", etc, don't you think?

Not really. Like it or not, people (in America) are used to hearing "2.0" as a major revision/revolution to an existing product, versus the Hollywood-style "2" which means a (typically inferior) sequel. ;)

Not really. Like it or not, people (in America) are used to hearing "2.0" as a major revision/revolution to an existing product

But that's only for software. I'm not familiar with any tradition of hardware getting a ".0" suffix. There's no "Playstation 2.0" after all.