IGNORED

Why is the Gamecube crap?

I think the GC is a nice system. Out of the new systems I have (PS2, GC, and XBOX) the PS2 gets played the most, because it has more games that appeal to me, the games are cheap, and it has a lot of games per genre. So to me the PS2 is the most well rounded and I haven't had any hardware problems with it. The GC doesn't have a huge library but it has a lot of fun games and a lot with multiplayer. Most of the games I can put it in and get into it right away which is great.

I don't own any of the current-gen systems, but I was interested enough to spend 10 minutes looking through the DP guides, and here's what I found:

DP has 436 US releases listed for Gamecube; 41 by Nintendo (9.4%)

DP has 598 US releases listed for Xbox; 45 by Microsoft (7.5%)

DP has 1001 US releases listed for PS2; 85 by Sony (8.5%)

So take that for what it's worth; I dunno how accurate or up-to-date DP is.

And just for giggles, here's some other systems (number indicates US releases):

PS1 1401

PS2 1001

NES 772

SNES 722

Genesis 706

XBox 598

GC 436

N64 298

Dreamcast 252

Saturn 250

Colecovision 145

3DO 141

Intellivision 125

SMS 114

TG-16 94

Odyssey 2 49

Those are from DP; from (mostly) AA:

2600 653

5200 71

Jaguar 69

7800 59

XEGS* 32

Looks like you could draw a line at about 300. At or over 300 and you are at least modestly successful; below and you're a failure.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Looks like you could draw a line at about 300.  At or over 300 and you are at least modestly successful; below and you're a failure.

884266[/snapback]

"Successful" in the marketplace, anyway. I only need a handful of good games on a system, then I'm perfectly happy with what I have, even if nothing ever comes out again. That makes a system a "success" in my eyes. ;)

Looks like you could draw a line at about 300.  At or over 300 and you are at least modestly successful; below and you're a failure.

884266[/snapback]

I wouldn't call the Colecovision unsuccessful. It crashed along with everybody else but sold a lot of units for it's lifespan. The Adam was unsuccessful.

884266[/snapback]

"Successful" in the marketplace, anyway. I only need a handful of good games on a system, then I'm perfectly happy with what I have, even if nothing ever comes out again. That makes a system a "success" in my eyes. ;)

884286[/snapback]

Too true. Some games can make the system a seller in their own right. There's certain games that came along on the Gamecube that people would buy the whole shootin' match just to own that game! Like I did with my first Gamecube: Metroid Prime. That "sold" me. :)

Steve

"Successful" in the marketplace, anyway. I only need a handful of good games on a system, then I'm perfectly happy with what I have, even if nothing ever comes out again. That makes a system a "success" in my eyes.

That's what I meant. I have a Dreamcast and I love it. It succeeds wildly for me. :D

I wouldn't call the Colecovision unsuccessful. It crashed along with everybody else but sold a lot of units for it's lifespan. The Adam was unsuccessful.

I was just throwing numbers around; sure there will be exceptions or I could just be completely wrong.

And the crash skews everything.

I bought my Gamecube to play the Resident Evil 1 remake. There are only a few games that grab my attention for the GC, and I probably wouldn't own one if they were available on the PS2.

My real beef though is with the discs themselves. Some games have the discs wedged so tightly in their cases that they feel like they are going to snap before they come out. Anyone else have this problem? I wished also that they had made the controller cables just a little bit longer. Hopefully all the next generation systems will have long controller cables with breakaway cords.

My real beef though is with the discs themselves. Some games have the discs wedged so tightly in their cases that they feel like they are going to snap before they come out. Anyone else have this problem? 

I've had that problem with almost all optical media at one point or another.

Admittedly, the PS2 and XBox' use of cases with the semi-standard disk lock buttons in the hub has pretty much avoided the issue.

I wished also that they had made the controller cables just a little bit longer.

Been saying it since I got my first gme machine.

Said it about almost everything in existence.

Hopefully all the next generation systems will have long controller cables with breakaway cords.

If I recall, all 3 are going wireless.

Hopefully all the next generation systems will have long controller cables with breakaway cords.

884350[/snapback]

The bad thing about wireless is that the controllers become heavier. A good controller shouldn't feel like it weighs 10 pounds.

You can't have it all I guess.

About the GC pad's cord lenght: Have to re-check but it's the same lenght as with dualshocks and xbox pads. Hopefully you can always grab a used extension cable for about $3 bucks at a game store (it doesn't get any cheaper than that). ;)

884350[/snapback]

The bad thing about wireless is that the controllers become heavier. A good controller shouldn't feel like it weighs 10 pounds.

884361[/snapback]

I heard that about force feedback too.

Anyways, batteries and RF transcievers don't add a lot of weight now(assuming they use LiIon packs, which I bet they will).

The bad thing I see about wireless controllers is they're battery-operated. Don't keep 'em charged, they can fizzle in mid-game. And the battery pack WILL fail eventually. Then you need new batteries/gamepad(depending on how exchangable the battery is).

What is wrong with the gamecube that people have to constantly bash it and have no desire to own one.  Is it the controllers?  The rumoured idea that it was directed toward a younger audience?  What's the deal and why is it considered a block of shite?

Please post your thoughts.

883987[/snapback]

For me in general the gamecube didnt fit my needs so I sold it.

Id be happy if nintendo made a home console that only played GBA, a tiny system that plugs in the tV with 2 controllers.

This is crap post-2304-1120254159_thumb.jpg

Edited by ATARIeric

Dreamcast hasn't a failure sega just keep being stupid

Firing bernie stolar

shen mue

As far as everybody bashing gamecube, it's doing fine and has some great stuff on it, only system (modern) I own, unless you can't the mighty dreamcast, which I think is going to be like the 2600 in terms of honebrew stuff, gotta love cool herders, and a few of those other swag homebrews

eitherway the people that bash gamecube are just being idiots, If you've played windwaker and don't like it that's one thing but if you just hate it becasue of the cel shading (which I think made the battles look ten times cooler then any game previously made) then you just never got over teen age angst half wit pessimism,

and personnally I don't think any console yet has been better then the saturn in terms of quality versus quantity which unfortunately doesn't seem to matter to a large number of people

The GameCube is a fine little system.  It's pretty cheap these days, small and

quite durable.  If you love the breadth of titles on the XBox or PS2, the

GameCube might dissapoint, as there are a lot fewer titles.

PS2, yes, but XBOX? I don't think it has THAT MANY more games on it at all. Also, this is the only time in console history I can think of where all three consoles on the market have hundreds of games in their libraries EACH!

Edited by DracIsBack

Thanks for this post. Let's re-order according to the "generations" of the industry. If you look closely, you'll find that the current crop of consoles has proportionately more games than previous generations ... and a wider selection total.

Current 128-bit generation:

PS2 1001

XBox 598

GC 436

Dreamcast 252

32/64 generation:

N64 298

PS1 1401

Saturn 250

3DO 141

Jaguar 69

16-bit generation:

SNES 722

Genesis 706

TG-16 94

Post-Crash 8-bit generation:

NES 772

SMS 114

7800 59

XEGS* 32

Pre-Crash 8-bit generation:

2600 653

5200 71

Colecovision 145

Intellivision 125

Odyssey 2 49

Thanks for this post. Let's re-order according to the "generations" of the industry. If you look closely, you'll find that the current crop of consoles has proportionately more games than previous generations ... and a wider selection total.

Current 128-bit generation:

PS2 1001

XBox 598

GC 436

Dreamcast 252

32/64 generation:

N64 298

PS1 1401

Saturn 250

3DO 141

Jaguar 69

16-bit generation:

SNES 722

Genesis 706

TG-16 94

Post-Crash 8-bit generation:

NES 772

SMS 114

7800 59

XEGS* 32

Pre-Crash 8-bit generation:

2600 653

5200 71

Colecovision 145

Intellivision 125

Odyssey 2 49

884534[/snapback]

Note that there's only one 128-bit system in the "128-bit" generation, with teh XBox, GC, and DC all being 32 or 64-bit.

Also note that there's an 8-bit system(TG16) in the "16-bit" generation, and a 16-bit system(INTV) in the "pre-crash 8-bits".

Reason #154352154 why classifying systems based on "bittage" is stupid.

</personal_peeve>

Dreamcast hasn't a failure sega just keep being stupid

Firing bernie stolar

shen mue

As far as everybody bashing gamecube, it's doing fine and has some great stuff on it, only system (modern) I own,  unless you can't the mighty dreamcast, which I think is going to be like the 2600 in terms of honebrew stuff, gotta love cool herders, and a few of those other swag homebrews

eitherway the people that bash gamecube are just being idiots, If you've played windwaker and don't like it that's one thing but if you just hate it becasue of the cel shading (which I think made the battles look ten times cooler then any game previously made) then you just never got over teen age angst half wit pessimism,

and personnally I don't think any console yet has been better then the saturn in terms of quality versus quantity which unfortunately doesn't seem to matter to a large number of people

Keep it friendly man, no need to call names. Look at my avatar and get a chuckle. Have you ever heard of a spell checker? :lolblue:

Why can't people talk about the shortcomings of the gamecube (or any console) in a friendly manner? The gamecube is a good console, but there is no denying that it has had some problems that has kept it from being even better. I don't know which is worst: those who bash the gamecube under the terms you say, or those who bash those who bash the gamecube for the same things you said.

Edited by Dones

Note that there's only one 128-bit system in the "128-bit" generation, with teh XBox, GC, and DC all being 32 or 64-bit.

Also note that there's an 8-bit system(TG16) in the "16-bit" generation, and a 16-bit system(INTV) in the "pre-crash 8-bits".

</personal_peeve>

884540[/snapback]

Yes, aware of the "bittage" problem on both ends. Just trying to put some order to each "phase" of the industry to illustrate a point. This is the only era I can think of where all three consoles in the race have HUNDREDS of titles in their library.

</personal_peeve>

884540[/snapback]

Yes, aware of the "bittage" problem on both ends. Just trying to put some order to each "phase" of the industry to illustrate a point. This is the only era I can think of where all three consoles in the race have HUNDREDS of titles in their library.

885214[/snapback]

Yeah well... Like I said, it's a personal peeve.

The current gen was the one that got me going, as it was a totally inaccurate label.

The rest... just figured as long as I was complaining, I'd poke everything.

Your point IS taken.

Interestingly enough... this generation's "failues" have as many games as some prior generations' successes.

Edited by JB

I find myself to play it more often every day. Resident Evil 4, F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime, and the new Zelda game make it a very fun console. The only thing I can see that is wrong with the system is the fact that it does not have any extra features (i.e. DVD player, Online-Gaming, etc.). Although, Nintendo tries to make up for their fault of this with the ability to play GBA games on your TV and link it up to the GCN. However, the games for it are AAA and I still wander back to playing through RE4 time-after-time again. I think it got the kiddy image because Zelda looks more cartoony, as well as Mario. However, that is all going to change eventually with the more teen-to-adult demographic that Mario will be aiming at on the Revolution, and the new Zelda game looks almost life-like, even with there being some cel-shading in the game. Eternal Darkness, RE4, SSBM, and others are all great adult-oriented games, so I don't really understand why it was labelled the Kiddy Console of this generation. However, perhaps it was because the console, itself, looks rather juvenile, due to its color and shape. However, I find it quite cute in a way, not kiddy, whatsoever. I suppose some people would think it that way, but I don't. At least it's not some ugly, gigantic box with a green circle in the middle or a black rectangle. Anyways, just the other day I was going to get Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 2 and Eternal Darkness, but I found my beloved Atari 2600 instead, and, being short on cash, I had to drop the games and get it instead.