IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I thought the Retronauts about Ultra was great, there was stuff in there about the crash that I had never heard before (Atari Shock!!). But again, it was too short, and lately a lot of the longer episodes were about things I wasn't interested in. I think it comes down to what our definitions are, Retronauts see retro as anything 10 years or older, and I see retro as a new game that looks like an old game. I use classic where others use retro, and classic for me is pre-Playstation. But that's okay, I will just skip it if I don't care for it.

I thought the Retronauts about Ultra was great, there was stuff in there about the crash that I had never heard before (Atari Shock!!). But again, it was too short, and lately a lot of the longer episodes were about things I wasn't interested in. I think it comes down to what our definitions are, Retronauts see retro as anything 10 years or older, and I see retro as a new game that looks like an old game. I use classic where others use retro, and classic for me is pre-Playstation. But that's okay, I will just skip it if I don't care for it.

I'm starting to come around to the Watch Out For Fireballs ways of thinking that anything made for a system not current gen is retro. :P

For some reason I'm listening to Arcade Outsiders, episode 71. The amount of arcade talk is up from previous episodes, which was about 5%, 95% being bro stuff. But wow, every 5th word in this podcast is an f-bomb.

• Like 1

Latest Atari 2600 GBG is the largest yet. So far I've heard an interview, a censored game title, and now I'm hearing music. It's a full-on variety show! We just need a cameo from Don Rickles to ridicule the show, since he "was filming something next door".

• Like 3

Latest Atari 2600 GBG is the largest yet. So far I've heard an interview, a censored game title, and now I'm hearing music. It's a full-on variety show! We just need a cameo from Don Rickles to ridicule the show, since he "was filming something next door".

Yeah, it's big but very worthy of the time!

Congrats to Ferg on hitting 100!

• Like 8

For some reason I'm listening to Arcade Outsiders, episode 71. The amount of arcade talk is up from previous episodes, which was about 5%, 95% being bro stuff. But wow, every 5th word in this podcast is an f-bomb.

I found something fun to do, if only to increase my arcade game time- play each arcade game Arcade Outsiders mentions on their show. This week: Yie-Ar Kung Fu, Shao-Lin's Road, Stargate, & Paperboy (w/ a little Vindicators thrown in).

Got to round 7 on YR KF, not bad for 1st time. Each time I played Shao-Lin's Road, I got better, & beat the factory set high score. Got 8K on Stargate; never liked that game (or Defender FTM). Paperboy doesnt work on my setup, but I could throw papers.

CCG #18 is out. Some things were cut. It was recorded out of order, extremely late, had a few audio problems, and edited in a hurry. When you have spent weekends getting a house renno'd & various social events, you don't have time to craft a really good podcast episode.

• Like 1

Hmm, except for the host, it's a group of Nintendo Kids. Hell, one guy's 1st gaming memory was Crash fucking Bandicoot on PS1!!! I could almost be his dad!!!

& I stayed away from the featured topic- not interested. I'll give 'em a go if they do iTunes though.

Also, I may need to re-sub to Retro League. Hearing some recent past episodes, I learn there's a Pac-Man arrangement I never knew of, on a Namco compilation I THOUGHT had only 4 games. It's a very benign-looking PS2 box. Turns out there's a Dig Dug & ass kicking Galaga arrangements on it too. You snooze, you lose.

...I learn there's a Pac-Man arrangement I never knew of, on a Namco compilation I THOUGHT had only 4 games. It's a very benign-looking PS2 box. Turns out there's a Dig Dug & ass kicking Galaga arrangements on it too. You snooze, you lose.

Yep, I have this one in my PS2 collection ("PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits - Namco Museum"). Big thick manual comes with it too. Great variety and the game play / emulation is spot on.

• Like 1

So that PS2 NAMCO disc came today (via eBay) & it's great. The Arranged versions are awesome; Galaga Arrangement is absolutely crazy. Dig Dug Arrangement has BOSS FIGHTS. I thought PacMan Arrangement might have too much going on to be fun, but it's fine. Sadly, Pole Position & PP2 are as slippy-slidey as ever. The only decent home versions use a twisty stick, found on a couple newer Plug & Plays.

I've never heard ANYone, in podcast or RL, EVER mention this compilation before. I thank (& re-subbed to) The Retro League for discussing this.

the game play / emulation is spot on.

Wellllll- I noticed Ms Pac-Man is a little off. She's a bit herky-jerky when moving, & when cruising the bottom of any maze, she overlaps the 1st pixel row of the maze wall, so it looks like she's "riding" on it. & one sound effect upon eating an energizer isn't right either. The version on NAMCO 50th Anniversary fixes these. Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

So that PS2 NAMCO disc came today (via eBay) & it's great. The Arranged versions are awesome; Galaga Arrangement is absolutely crazy. Dig Dug Arrangement has BOSS FIGHTS. I thought PacMan Arrangement might have too much going on to be fun, but it's fine.

If you're not one of those folks who gets grossed out by emulation, you should check out Namco Classics Collection Volumes 1&2 in MAME. Apparently these were actually released as arcade machines in the mid-90s. Each "collection" includes the original games and their corresponding "arrangement" versions, selectable by the player after coining up.

Volume 1 - romset "ncv1" - Galaga, Xevious, Super Xevious, Mappy

Volume 2 - romset "ncv2" - Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Rally X, New Rally X

None of these games are top 10 for me so I'm not a connoisseur, but in playing the arrangement versions, they seem really well done, with due respect to their roots. My favorite is probably Xevious arrangement, which I think has a really cool updated take on the soundtrack of the original game.

PS--anybody have any idea where the designation "arrangement" comes from? Is it Engrish for "enhancement" or something like that? Just seems like an odd choice of words for what it is.

Edited by Cynicaster

PS--anybody have any idea where the designation "arrangement" comes from? Is it Engrish for "enhancement" or something like that? Just seems like an odd choice of words for what it is.

I'm guessing from music. Usually if you say you're doing an arrangement of a tune, you're doing it differently from the original. And those arcade arrangements are awesome, my hand almost fell off playing Galaga.

Cue Nurmix making a masturbation joke at my expense in 3... 2...

;)

• Like 3

Well I dont want this to become a NAMCO compilation discussion, but yes that Xevious Arrangement is great. New areas, new music, powerups, 2 player co-op. If it's the same one on PS1 3D/G+...or else Im missing out on ANOTHER one. I can do without playing Mappy a new way, not a fan of the original anyhoo.

I had to dumb down Galaga Arrangement so I could at least get somewhere in it. i think I still prefer Gaaga '88.

• Like 1