IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Added a bunch of subs at work.

Arcade and Video Game Podcast - A UK-centric podcast. Episodes not too long. Well-assembled episodes. B+

60 Second Retro Gamer - Episodes are okay, but since when are PS2 games considered retro? It's moreso talking about games that aren't modern, but aren't retro either. Just "older" games. C-

RetroActive Podcast - The only retro content is in the title. Rather misleading advertising. D

Future Retro Podcast - So future's retro is what time currently is. Meaning, they are just talking about E3. Episode titles try too hard to be obscure & out of context. F

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was about to crap on Future Retro podcast but I see S1500 already did it above.

But if you like 4 Latino "youngsters" discussing West Coast livin' y'all, very little gaming talk (& even less retro talk), overusing the ever-popular F-word & ending sentences w/ "...& shit" then this is the podcast for you!

Bad crop.

Smart Video Game Fan - 5 minutes in and I did not like the host. He just sounds really snotty & angry with the world. Of course, the words "Final Fantasy" was uttered within the first 3 minutes. Joe sounds like the guy who would physically threaten you over which SNES RPG is better at some game convention. Apparently I'm not the only one since it has some 1-star reviews. D

8-4 Play: I had some vague though that it would have retro content. It didn't. But still, more tolerable than SVGF. C

That Video Game Podcast - A painfully average podcast. Mostly modern gaming talk, but still manages to namedrop Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc. Literally the same discussions you've heard before. The episode titles, like many podcasts, are obscure for the sake of obscure. D-

Man, so much subpar junk out there. I just can't help wondering if there's a really great retro gaming podcast out there we're missing. I listen to 4 or 5 fairlly decent to good 'casts, just seems like there's still a hole that needs filling.

post-12390-128175614854_thumb.jpg

All Gen Gamers - Started on the 2nd episode. Several youTubers get together & make a podcast. The 2nd episode is all things TurboGrafx. Very informative & detailed, without getting all Retronautsy on your ass. I recommend this one. B+ This is my "pick of the week", if there ever was one.

Sounds like one I should check out!!

Man, so much subpar junk out there. I just can't help wondering if there's a really great retro gaming podcast out there we're missing. I listen to 4 or 5 fairlly decent to good 'casts, just seems like there's still a hole that needs filling.

Y'know, not sure if this on will be your "magic bullet", but I spend a lot of time listening to the Brainy Gamer podcast.......has a GREAT blog too! Kinda cerebral.........but if you think its perfectly normal to mix philosophy with video games, you'll LOVE that show!!

Someone I know is thinking of doing a retro game podcast and I said I'd be interested but we would need a "hook", something no one else is doing in retro podcasting.

Can I ask what you guys would want to hear that none of these podcasts mentioned already are doing?

A hook? Don't talk about ANY modern gaming. There's way too many podcasts talking about the same stuff.

A hook..

1. Talk about pre-crash video games, console & computer AND coin-op

2. Talk about the homebrews that get so much discussion on here

3. Don't talk about Final Fantasy.

4. Are there local arcades & game stores? Talk about 'em.

Hell, you could have a whole podcast around older computer games.

That should be plenty. Now get crackin' so we can give you a scathing review! :)

With me being so broke, I have no excuse to record episode 4.

Wow, I gave allgen gamers a B 2 years ago? How times have changed.

I need to get off my ass and start my podcast that I've been thinking about for 2 years now, at least. I have the equipment and I have research done for a few episodes, now I just need to do it. The thing that's holding me back is the commitment. I always get annoyed when good podcasts get more and more infrequent, and I'm afraid I would do that too. Being wishy washy sucks, Charlie Brown. :/

• Like 1

DON'T do current gen games in any way, shape, or form, including news, reviews, price drops/sales, etc. I'm not interested in the latest PS3/360/PC FPS DLC. I DON'T PLAY THEM & I don't listen to retro 'casts to hear about them. plus almost every show does it.

I like "what you've been playing" segments but only if it's retro games.

DO include arcade/coin op games. I like stories about arcades, coinops, & warehouse raids.

Retro League does "virtually retro" on what retro is currently offered on download services. That's OK even though I don't do much of that.

Allgen Gamers does "Gamingpiece Theater" where a certain "forgotten" or obscure system is discussed. Maybe a spin on that? Though that'd likely take some research.

They also do a music segment where Metal Jesus discusses old albums & music. I'm not a huge fan of this, but any nostalgia from the late 70s to mid-90s is interesting.

Retro League does a Game of the Week- how about a "Shame of the Week" or "Lame of the Week". You could just do a bad game from the past & not waste time buying/playing one now.

CUT BACK ON THE SWEARING. Besides people w/ voices that shouldnt be podcasting, this is my main pet peeve. Unless you're ranting/complaining about something, stay away from the cuss words. People use them excessively & I hate to say it but it's now a common part of speech, I can't go out without hearing some knucklehead idiot "f this & f that, no sh-t" & hearing it on a podcast where you're +/- a captive audience is worse. Nothing wrong w/ a goddamn or even harsher every so often, just don't lay it on so thick. It doesn't help & surely doesn't make you sound any more intelligent. EXAMPLE: Jerry Terrifying.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

DON'T do current gen games in any way, shape, or form, including news, reviews, price drops/sales, etc. I'm not interested in the latest PS3/360/PC FPS DLC. I DON'T PLAY THEM & I don't listen to retro ''casts to hear about them. plus almost every show does it.

I like "what you've been playing" segments but only if it's retro games.

DO include arcade/coin op games. I like nostalgic stories about arcades & games.

Retro League does "virtually retro" on what retro is currently offered on download services. That's OK even though I don't do much of that.

A million times this. If any classic games have been re-released on modern consoles, that's totally worth talking about on said podcast. That sums up Virtually Retro.

Also, pinball talk is perfectly valid. That's almost a separate offshoot, but a fun one nontheless.

I'm REALLY trying hard to listen to this whole Smart Video Game Fan ep, but Joe's voice is so incredibly whiny.

And RJ, I haven't forgotten you in co-hosting. I've just been depressed lately and not motivated to do much.

• Like 1

Well there's no real hurry, my free time is virtually nonexistent right now. Barely an hr to myself anymore.

There should also be an AtariAge podcast. Hell, there's more than enough stuff going on these forums for a regular podcast show. We might even give it a positive review on here! :)

Old Game Plus has a new episode, currently marked "unpopular" on iTunes. Strange, their eps. are either totally popular, or not at all. Strange track record too, they didnt do any shows in 2011.

They mentioned me in their latest ep. I think they refer to me as their only listener. Heh.

I think they said "only fan", though that's not much different. They did a military-type retrocast & prob. thought they were pretty clever going after Pres. Bush to kick it off. An interesting & original spin on the subject matter. Almost made me wanna buy Desert Strike again.

Well-versed in the Classics did a retro magazine show, the section on Ray Barnholdts Scroll magazine online interested me. I bought issue 6 for $5 when I saw it had a Xevious feature...which amounted to a paragraph worth of abbreviated history. :(

However...thru the site I linked to a lengthy feature on thegamer (not written by Barnholt) & an online comic that's been going since March. so I guess I got my money's worth...however indirectly.

Well-versed in the Classics did a retro magazine show, the section on Ray Barnholdts Scroll magazine online interested me. I bought issue 6 for $5 when I saw it had a Xevious feature...which amounted to a paragraph worth of abbreviated history. :(

However...thru the site I linked to a lengthy feature on thegamer (not written by Barnholt) & an online comic that's been going since March. so I guess I got my money's worth...however indirectly.

I'm listening to it right now. Finally a weekend where I get some new podcasts. My next ep I wanted to talk about magazines even further back in time.

• Like 1

I just got done listening to that exact same episode. I can't comment on the Xevious bit. Overall, pretty good episode... my one complaint is how they glossed over

the periodicals that came BEFORE Nintendo Power. (Why does everyone think the genesis of gaming started at the Nintendo era!:/) Those were some great magazines:

Electronic Games, Video Games et. al....

Yeah the "Versed" guys really like Barnholts online mag but I don't think it's worth it, much less $11 for a print version. We emailed him in hopes of getting a refund.

Magazines? Just a few yrs back I had complete runs of PSM, OPM, near-complete Game Informer & 15 yrs of EGM starting w/ summer of '92 to 2007. Had Trickman Terry & Sushi-X autograph key issues when they were at Midwest Gaming Classic.. Also had quite a few GamePros & Atari ANTIC magazine from march 85 to the penultimate issue. As a kid my local library had Joystik!

I gave the ANTICs to my Atari club about 15 yrs ago, & all the others to a co-worker who read, then trashed (recycled?) them. I don't regret it, we needed the space when the kids came along.