IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Awww, Retro League is the only one I'm d/l'ing for tonight. Good to see Earl/Retrobits is bck, but I'll skip the current ep- not interested in C64.

Im really craving podcasts lately. Maybe I have to listen to them slower/less often instead of burning thru them.

Whoops- I also got a new Bitmob, Drunken Gamers, FInal Score, & The Retroist. Zune Mktplace didnt tell me it was auto-d/l'ing them. :ponder:

Edited by RJ

• 2 weeks later...

Dull week for podcasts this time around. 80s Cartoon Podcast does RoboTech, which I never watched (though their podcasts arent exactly so great anyway)

Bitmob does fighting games, a genre I never got into- one guest's topic is worst fighting games, w/ no mention of Ultra Vortek, Kasumi Ninja or Rise of the Robots (? :ponder:)

Even Flack's podcast about floppy disks made me floppy w/ sleep.

Another quickie review:

gamerlimit's com Retrocast (http://gamerlimit.com/category/retrocast/) - Most of the podcast episodes are talking about Final Fantasy, complete with token bloke. You know, since there's almost no other conversation about Final Fantasy on other podcasts every 12 seconds. D-

We are running out of classic video gaming podcast titles, as we have run out of combinations of "game" "Retro" "video" "cast".

I agree with you RJ.  I tried out the 80's Cartoon Podcast starting with Robotech (since I am a huge fan) and should have stopped there.  Instead, I went on and listened to their Voltron episode, Thundercats and something else that I didn't finish because I turned it off.  They seem to be going more for the "shock" value of trying to get people mad over their comments on certain characters or series to desperately garner some interest in their show.  With the wealth of content available they really messed up in how they presented their thoughts and direction they went with the podcast.

I feel like Jim Kramer on Mad Money here, but with podcasting subscription advice instead of investment advice.

Monroeworld released a new podcast. It is devoid of any retro content. It is no longer unique. With modern gaming talk, it's just like all those other podcasts from any of the millions of gaming websites out there. Downgraded to: "don't subscribe"(no retro content).

Sad.

Seems Retrobits is back in the dumper, despite the host's promise(?) to keep it going- a month now w/ no new eps.

& unfortunately I have to admit Final Score is starting to wear on me, their wacky DJ bit gets old- "I LOOOOOVVES playin' me some (insert game x)".

At least there's no wacky sound FX.

Shame to hear about Shane's new one, was looking forward to more eps. & speaking of "no longer unique", the Retro League's site links to Classic733T podcast, where 1 host does retro & 1 modern, but it's only around 1/2 hr long & 15 min of retro isnt enough for me. They dont seem to do anything other podcasts dont.

Edited by RJ

I couldn't even get the ClassicL337 podcast to stream. It just kept buffering with that crappy flash applet everyone uses. I try downloading it, but it makes me want to register.

Sadly, the 10 minutes I attempted to record my own podcast got eaten with one other recording bit I did. Oh well. Damn you Audacity.

I couldn't even get the ClassicL337 podcast to stream. It just kept buffering with that crappy flash applet everyone uses. I try downloading it, but it makes me want to register.

Sadly, the 10 minutes I attempted to record my own podcast got eaten with one other recording bit I did. Oh well. Damn you Audacity.

Click the download link, then on the next screen that pops up, there should be a big "Download" button, right click on that and you should be able to save the MP3 (rather different way of doing it).  I have all three episodes and didn't have to register to get any of them.

You are working on a new podcast?  What is it going to be about?  Want some help with it?

Click the download link, then on the next screen that pops up, there should be a big "Download" button, right click on that and you should be able to save the MP3 (rather different way of doing it).  I have all three episodes and didn't have to register to get any of them.

You are working on a new podcast?  What is it going to be about?  Want some help with it?

It's going to be about old video/computer games. Just been too busy(or technical problems) to finish it.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, listened to the Classic L337 podcast: Audio's a bit hollow(but passable). I'd ditch all the modern gaming talk & stick to the classic stuff. There's already more than enough modern gaming podcasts(and modern gaming websites). I'd also go longer than 30 minutes. RJ, you are right. C-

Still waiting on Atari Joe & His Super Gang Podcast.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot about Bit Transmission on the destructoid site; a decent replacement for RetroForce GO! (so far). They've got quite a few eps available.

S1500, you'll be pleased to know your favorite podcast personality Chad Concelmo guests on ep #3! At 33:45 in he aids the 8-bit Mega Man discussion.

;)

Forgot about Bit Transmission on the destructoid site; a decent replacement for RetroForce GO! (so far). They've got quite a few eps available.

S1500, you'll be pleased to know your favorite podcast personality Chad Concelmo guests on ep #3! At 33:45 in he aids the 8-bit Mega Man discussion.

;)

MegaMan? MEGAMAN!?!? Ugh. But what about Final Fantasy?? Heh. I might have to listen, but not subscribe. I think I tried Bit Transmission before, but don't remember if I got into it or not.

Edit: Yep, mandatory FF discussion is in the episode too:

Chad's with us to talk Mega Man 10, but that's not all you're going to hear in episode 3. Other topics include linearity in Final Fantasy, the brilliance of Deadly Premonition and we give some impressions on the recent news about Playstation Mov

Edited by S1500

Hmmm- I must still be wearing the rose tinted Retroforce GO! glasses. Im on #9 & liking it.

Oh & Topher Cantler appears briefly on the ep. where they talk to Seth from Capcom.

I think you'll like the ep. they interview the Gaijin Games guy. It gave m3 a lead on a 2600 game Ive never played.

Shame on you Retronauts! Ep #95 was as bad as their past Tengen employee show (#91) was good. The 2 guests seemed to be aspiring comedians but werent funny. I guess they have their own podcast that makes the host Ray Barnholdt laugh & that seemed to be the sole reason they were on. One had a very basic knowledge of games & toward the end asked a very basic question, like "What did R.O.B. do?"

Also Final Score is getting worse. Im half convinced they like to hear themselves talk & the sound of their own voices. Plus they say "vidja games." On purpose. Nevertheless Im gonna send an email asking them to expand their "old school" segment.

Edited by RJ

I want Classic L337 podcast to expand their retro segment. In fact, expand it to 100% and forget the modern gaming angle, as hundreds of other podcasts cover that.

I didn't think the last retroforce was so bad, but mainly because of the humor. Er, attempts at humor. They seemed knowledgeable. But why were they at E3? One would think a podcast about old games would not bother with a convention for modern games. Seems a bit "me too" for E3 coverage.

You mean RetroNAUTS, not retroforce, right? ;)

I think everyone who does a gaming podcast, modern or not, went to E3. Most of those I listen to had a show or report on it. Even SoCal Mike from Retrogaming Roundup (the longass 5+ hr podcast) did a segment from there instead of his usual/awesome "Miked Up" from the flea maket/swapmeets, & I said how I felt about that over on DP.

I think a better idea wouldve been to feature a past E3, like from '98' or '99, I'd be more interested in that than the crap they did this yr.

Edited by RJ

The latest "A Life Well Wasted" was NOT worth the 6 months Robert Ashley took to put it out. I dont care how busy he was. More like "An Hour Poorly Wasted".

A lengthy (ahem) segment on a "gamer's" unit? C'mon, there's better stuff out there than that.

Edited by RJ

The latest "A Life Well Wasted" was NOT worth the 6 months Robert Ashley took to put it out. I dont care how busy he was. More like "An Hour Poorly Wasted".

A lengthy (ahem) segment on a "gamer's" unit? C'mon, there's better stuff out there than that.

I just tried it for 10 minutes. While the artwork is nice, the podcast is music-fused & a general mess. It's WAY too artsy-fartsy "I'm in art school, I drive a Volkswagen, I own a Mac!" to be even considered a video game podcast.

Looks like this month's winner for anything remotely worth listening to is Retrogaming Roundup(provided you fast-forward the UK mike segment).