IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

While perusing iTunes podcast reviews, a bit funny & disheartening to see hosts giving their OWN show 5 stars- esp. when they clearly don't deserve it. One guy even refers to himself as "one of the stars" of his own show.

Humility this ain't.

• Like 1

While perusing iTunes podcast reviews, a bit funny & disheartening to see hosts giving their OWN show 5 stars- esp. when they clearly don't deserve it. One guy even refers to himself as "one of the stars" of his own show.

Humility this ain't.

Cut them some slack RJ; it's a lot of work to be the hose, the bag and the nozzle!

• Like 1

Stuff...

1. DId anyone get re-downloads of episode 0 and 1 of IMplantgames? No biggie.

2. Ready to unsubscribe from Old Game Plus since I think the download link is broken. Haven't heard from them in months. If it shows "continuous" for episode length, something's up with the RSS feed.

3. Factory Sealed - I would suggest reducing the off-topic opening discussion to less than 1/3rd the podcast.

4. So far nothing has happened when I went into the ColecoVision sub forums here & said there should be a Colecovisionares-like podcast. I mean, the 2600 and Inty have their own podcasts, where's CV? Yeah, really...

Other than that, nothing notable as of late. But it's the holidays. Contemplating canceling my visit to MGC in favor of saving for another vacation, this time Hong Kong. I could then live the ultimate real-life episode of "Chase the Chuckwagon" for bootleg video game merchandise. It has to be better than Taiwan.

the biggest problem with the colecovision is there isn't much lore behind the system. we do not know the names of the programmers and engineers behind the hardware or software. plus most of the best CV software is ports of games from the arcade and other platforms. i would imagine it would be kindof hard to make a podcast series that only goes into the games of the CV.

the biggest problem with the colecovision is there isn't much lore behind the system. we do not know the names of the programmers and engineers behind the hardware or software. plus most of the best CV software is ports of games from the arcade and other platforms. i would imagine it would be kindof hard to make a podcast series that only goes into the games of the CV.

This is true. And yet with the lack of lore, I find myself liking this system. That and the Vectrex, which again, doesn't have much lore behind it.

Okay, MSXaires podcast.

Okay, a early-mid 80s computer game podcast. Any platform goes.

Austin was working on it as I told him there were probs. getting the latest ep. from both iTunes & the ImplantGames site. He said he'd inform Kris, but I havent kept up on it. You say you got shows #0 & #1? Weird. I'll have to check my iPod.

Im thinking more about returning to MGC this time around, havent been in ages. I want to see my boys' jaws drop when they see the room full of arcade & pinball games, & educate them a bit more on gaming history. Thing is my wife doesn't consider that a "fun" vacation. I could leave her home, but it doesnt work that way around here. ;)

Dont see anything strange re: ImplantGames yet. It's waiting for Retro League #211 to d/l which is taking a loooong time.

Hey, Retronauts does an ep. on MECC, the Minnesota Educational Computing Corp. Being a MN public school student in the 70s/80s, we mustve got their stuff fresh off the PETs & Apples. I recall sitting the computer "lab" (an unused room with 3 computers :lol:) playing Hurkle, the FIRST version of Oregon Trail, & Odell Lake, among others. Im sure the ep. will further refresh my memory. Actually looking forward to this one.

EDIT- still doesnt like ImplantGames newest ep. Sometimes when I factory reset my iPod, a bunch of podcasts d/l themselves for no reason.

Just thought I'd chime in and say thanks for the 'best podcast of the year' nomination for The Intellivisionaries. It's nice to know that folks are enjoying what we're doing.

And a belated congratulations to Ferg for winning! The 2600 GBG Podcast deserved the prize!

As for a Colecovision podcast... I've thought about it, but I can't currently handle production on 2 podcasts, as I spend a lot of time putting together each episode of The Intellivisionaries (just ask my wife).

And, as mentioned here, there isn't really a deep history on the system. In fact, I'd probably do a podcast on the Odyssey 2 before one on CV simply because there's more information out there (and it needs some love too).

That said, if anyone wants to start a show on either of these platforms, I'd be willing to participate - as long as I don't have to handle the editing and production!

;-)

• Like 2

Hey, Retronauts does an ep. on MECC, the Minnesota Educational Computing Corp. Being a MN public school student in the 70s/80s, we mustve got their stuff fresh off the PETs & Apples. I recall sitting the computer "lab" (an unused room with 3 computers :lol:) playing Hurkle, the FIRST version of Oregon Trail, & Odell Lake, among others. Im sure the ep. will further refresh my memory. Actually looking forward to this one.

A former coworker of mine from 2 jobs was on the dev team for the original Oregon Trail. He's old school. I vaguely remember the original Oregon Trail. We had an Atari 400 computer way back in grade school. The game we had on disk was something involving spelling and a bee going from left to right. Not sure if it was MECC.

Okay, a early-mid 80s computer game podcast. Any platform goes.

I've considered it.

I don't want to go as far as to say that You Don't Know Flack has completely run its course, but potential episode ideas are starting to run thin. One option I've considered to extend the longevity of the show is switching to more specific topics -- in other words, instead of doing a show on "arcades," doing one on specific games like Centipede or Donkey Kong instead. If they're not games that I had a personal connection with it changes the scope of the show which makes me think it should just be a separate show. I think the arcade show market is really saturated right now with a lot of great podcasts, but there's definitely a dearth of Commodore-related shows out there. Earl Evans' Chicken Lips Radio is the only dedicated Commodore podcast I know about. There's only one episode of Chicken Lips Radio so far, but future episodes are likely to be more technical in scope than what I would do because quite frankly Earl Evans is way smarter than I am. :)

I was considering a Commodore game-themed audio podcast when I came up with the idea of Sprite Castle and doing a video-based show. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a Wordpress RSS feed full of Youtube-hosted videos to update an iTunes feed, and I don't have the space or bandwidth to deal with posting and hosting 100 megabyte shows multiple times a week. The other thing I found out real quick is that editing video is a big ass time-sinkhole. I've done a few retro-themed videos for The Retroist and while they are fun, when you start inserting pick-up shots for closeups and trying to sync audio from different sources you can end up putting a couple of hours worth of work into a video only a few minutes long.

I'm still considering retooling Sprite Castle into an audio podcast and focusing on Commodore games. Shows like Ferg's Atari 2600 Game by Game Podcast and the Intellivisionaries show have both set the bar pretty high when it comes to system-specific podcasts (no offense intended to anyone else doing similar shows, those are just the two I am most familiar with). I'll kick around the options and, if I pull the trigger, will probably launch it after the first of the year. My biggest question is, is there a sustainable audience out there for a show about someone talking about Commodore 64 games? I suppose time will tell.

There's going to be a lot more of that, unfortunately, we have about another 38 episodes to re-upload. When Kris moved the site from Wordpress to Squarespace, the past downloadable shows were lost, and when we re-upload them now, they seem to re-appear in iTunes as new episodes. I don't know if there is a way around it (without *not* uploading them). I will have to ask Kris.

Austin, it's all good. I do a pre-check of downloaded podcasts & mark all the ones I already listened to as watched. There's always growing pains when moving servers/rss feeds, etc.

Flack, I think there was a podcast for C64 chiptunes. It didn't interest me, since one can only listen to SiDTunes before getting an earache from excessive listening. However, an audio 'cast of C64 games would be fun to listen to. I mean, they only made about 2000000000 C64 games over the years.

Also a podcast idea: A TI-99/4A user group 'cast. It would consist of me standing at a podium saying "I'm so coold... so alone....".

What's great is you can make a game-by-game podcast for just about any platform. Or take one game(like Donkey Kong for example) and talk about all the various ports through the ages for it, and see which one comes out on top.

Hey Flack. I'm keen on the idea of a retro/home computer game podcast (mostly 8-bit, maybe some 16-bit too?). I don't know if you're looking for a partner on this, but if you are, my point of view would have to be based on what I had: Atari 8-bits, and later an STe and Falcon.

I know Antic is already 5 episodes in with their Atari 8-bit podcast, and it's really good, but they don't have a game-centric focus, so we wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes.

Maybe we could do something with each of us talking about and comparing C64 with Atari versions?

I've also thought about an Atari ST podcast, since I used one for many years in music and MIDI production, as well as gaming. Although I haven't stayed up to date on current trends and/or development.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 2

I don't want to go as far as to say that You Don't Know Flack has completely run its course, but potential episode ideas are starting to run thin. One option I've considered to extend the longevity of the show is switching to more specific topics -- in other words, instead of doing a show on "arcades," doing one on specific games like Centipede or Donkey Kong instead. If they're not games that I had a personal connection with it changes the scope of the show which makes me think it should just be a separate show.

I'm still considering retooling Sprite Castle into an audio podcast and focusing on Commodore games.

Rob, Yep, if the subject matter isn't personal to you, it wont make a good YDKF. I am following your lead in this as I try to half-ass a podcast together over here.

Re: Sprite Castle, I would love it. I just don't have time to sit stilll and watch videos, but I would listen to this content all day long....

Edited by Chuck D. Head

No no, that's Ferg's new 1970s sexy overnight DJ voice!

Ferg you are excused this week as long as you bring in a doctor's note next time ;)

Now move the 2600 into the bedroom & recover Atari style!

Edited by RJ
  • Like 2