IGNORED

Driving Crazy - My Debut Novel!

So, what's next? Anything else in the works?

Oh sure! :) Always working on something. My biggest problem is I have Writer's ADD. I have a hard time finishing a story. As of now, I have two novels in progress. One is an epic sci-fi adventure (that I have written over 100 pages of, but really need to flesh out the plot before I continue) and the other is a different take on a road trip story. It's actually on the rail instead of the road. It's gone from being a pseudo-prequel to Driving Crazy (set in the mid 80s, with Jay as an 18-year old) to being new characters and modern times.

I'm also working on an article for a gaming magazine. Just finished that one, in fact.

However, my next book might end up being a collection of short stories. I easily have enough stories to compile a book, and in fact I was working on that very project when I stumbled upon the (long) short story Crazy Climber, Crazy Week, which eventually became the novel you see before you.

Cheers,

Randy

• 7 months later...

Guess what? I only have 20 copies 18 copies of Driving Crazy left at my house. Once these are gone, I probably won't buy any more for a while (due to my financial situation) ... or perhaps ever. This may be it! If you want to get a copy of the novel people are calling, "Entertaining and witty," "Laugh out loud funny," and "A truly enjoyable read," you'll want to jump on it.

Visit http://randypearson.org/ to pick up your copy today! Don't delay, or you may miss out!

Cheers,

Randy

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

I now have 12 copies of Driving Crazy left in paperback version. They're dwindling!

The most recent reviews I've received have been quite positive:

"The book was amazing! I loved how they went on multiple adventures and the trials and tribulations they ran into."

"...provides plenty of enjoyment and some genuinely laugh out loud moments throughout."

"Driving Crazy is an awesome novel. This story would make an entertaining motion picture. Video gamers and non-enthusiasts alike will enjoy this modern odyssey..."

"I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. If you are a video game enthusiast then this is a must read..."

"Fun the whole way through. The characters were funny and had charming personalities. Fun read for all."

I'm still offering the same deal - if you purchase the paperback version for $12.99 USD plus shipping (which I will sign and personalize), I will throw in a FREE eBook version of your choice - Nook, Kindle, Sony, Apple, whatever.

If you're interested, please head to my website and snag a copy (or you can send me a private message here). I usually send them via Media Mail (and I send them same day whenever possible), but I can also do Priority Mail to ensure pre-Christmas delivery.

Remember, funny books about video games make great presents!

Cheers and Merry Festivus,

Randy "Smeg" Pearson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all,

The news of the day is... Driving Crazy, the formerly self-published novel, has been picked up by a full-fledged, full-service, nationwide publisher. Just today I received the final proof copy, and once I sign the approval form, they will begin printing copies of the "second edition." They will then distribute my novel to all places books are sold! As you can imagine, I am beyond geeked!

Since I soon won't have any control over pricing (and will have to take my version of the eBook offline so they can put their own version up), I am lowering my eBook's price on Amazon to $1.99. I have no idea how long this will last... my guess is only a few days.

But if you'd like a cheap copy of the book called "Awesome" "fantastic" "entertaining" and "a must read," check out the $1.99 eBook on Amazon.

It's also available for $1.99 at Smashwords.

Cheers,

Smeg

(PS - I just changed the Amazon price a few minutes ago, so it may take a couple of hours for the $1.99 price point to appear. Not that it's not worth it at $2.99, but if ya don't mind being a tad patient, you can save a buck!)

Edited by Atari Smeghead
  • Like 1

I just picked it up, thanks for the deal!

Sure, why not. I got one too.

Thank you both so much! I hope you enjoy it! :grin:

I heard from my marketing guy Friday, and was told DC is now in the print queue. I even ordered my first set of "second edition" copies. I didn't bring up my eBooks, so I can probably keep this sale going for a little bit longer. But it sounds like the retail price of their eBook will be $9.99, so if anyone is still on the fence... I mean really, what's two bucks for a book that Atariage's own Cebus Capucinis called, "...absolutely perfect for anyone who is a video game enthusiast ... At multiple times throughout the book I found myself laughing out loud..."?

Cheers,

Smeg

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I just edited the top post, to update the links and to share the exciting news - Driving Crazy was recently picked up by Tate Publishing for a full printing/marketing/distribution deal! Come June 16, 2015, it will be available everywhere books are sold. Please scroll to the top for the proper links ... or I suppose I can put them here too! :)

Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, Tate Publishing, or buy it directly from my website if you want a signed copy!

To read some excerpts and deleted scenes, or to listen to a section of the novel, please visit my website.

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 1

That's aweome, congratulations! Definitely a good read that many more people will now enjoy :D

Thanks so much, Clint! I really appreciate that! I'm so pleased it's out there, in the world. :)

Hi guys,

Looks like a great book. I going to check if my local library has a copy of it so I can rent it. If its not available, I'll order one at my local B&N!

Thumping good reads are always on my agenda. :-D

Anthony...

Hi Anthony!

Thanks for taking a look. If your library doesn't have it, (and I'd be shocked if it did, since it just came out and teleportation hasn't been perfected in the book selling industry :D ) ask them to order it through the normal channels. I'm in the all the major distribution channels now. Same goes for B&N - they can easily order it through their network.

If you want to read some of it now, either go to Amazon, or to my website. Amazon does that "Look Inside" thing, and my website has excerpts, deleted scenes, and you can even listen to the "MegaShop Stakeout scene" there as well.

Thanks again for the interest!

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 1

Thanks so much, Clint! I really appreciate that! I'm so pleased it's out there, in the world. :)

Hi Anthony!

Thanks for taking a look. If your library doesn't have it, (and I'd be shocked if it did, since it just came out and teleportation hasn't been perfected in the book selling industry :D ) ask them to order it through the normal channels. I'm in the all the major distribution channels now. Same goes for B&N - they can easily order it through their network.

If you want to read some of it now, either go to Amazon, or to my website. Amazon does that "Look Inside" thing, and my website has excerpts, deleted scenes, and you can even listen to the "MegaShop Stakeout scene" there as well.

Thanks again for the interest!

Cheers,

Smeg

Will do. Thanks again.

Anthony...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Sales of Driving Crazy have been pretty good (earlier this week, my Amazon ranking shot up from 1,800,000 to something like 400,000 :grin: ), and I've enjoyed the signings and interviews I've done. Here's a recently published Q and A interview, if you're interested. I also have a DVD copy of my segment on WLNZ TV, but I'm still not sure how to transfer it to Youtube or my website. Working on it. ;) )

Also, it appears that Amazon is having a sale on my novel this weekend, If you've been on the fence with the novel called, "Entertaining from start to finish" and "laugh out loud funny," this could be a prime opportunity.

Enjoy your Independence Day weekend, or if your country is not all gung-ho on fireworks this weekend, enjoy your Saturday and Sunday!

Cheers,

Smeg

• 4 months later...

HI everyone! Sorry I've been away... writing, doing book signings, working (at my real job - Gads!) and being a husband and step-father. It all chips away at my Atari time, but y'know, all work and no play... :sad: Anyway, I wanted to stop by and tell you something you may find helpful, especially if you're looking for the perfect gift for the gamer in your life.

My publisher gave me a really good deal on extra copies of Driving Crazy, and I wanted to pass the savings along to you!

Driving Crazy normally retails for $20.99 USD, (at your local book stores or through Amazon) but if you purchase a copy through my website, you can get it for only $9.99 USD plus shipping. This way, you can get a signed and personalized copy of this funny videogame road trip story, and save several bucks in the process. I ship worldwide! You can also pick up an eBook (PDF) version for only $4.99, with no shipping charges.

This offer is valid until December 25th, so you have some time, but don't dilly or dally too much!

In other Driving Crazy news, I've received several more glowing reviews, including this one from the leader of Bikers for Books and several new ones on Amazon.

So yeah... if you're looking for a, "Thoroughly enjoyable book with the perfect blend of fun, hardship, friendship, relationships, heart and more fun!" for the video game fan in your life, you could do worse! :-D

Cheers,

Smeg

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

If you enjoyed my humor and writing style in Driving Crazy, you'll be pleased to learn that my new book, Tell Me a Story, has been released! I have a new publisher, Blue Deco Publishing, and so far, this smaller publishing house has been a great fit for me.

Tell Me a Story is my short story collection, with over three dozen of my best stories - some funny, some intense, a few that are weird, and there's even a "Driving Crazy" adventure with our heroes Jay and Austin. :)

If you're interested in checking it out, here is a link to the AtariAge thread.

Or you can go straight to my website, for information on the book, as well as the Amazon link. I'm selling signed, personalized copies directly from my website, for the same $13.99 price as you'd get in bookstores or at Amazon. (Well, in the US anyway. I can't believe how international shipping has skyrocketed! You'd probably be better off buying from Amazon if you're outside the US, unfortunately.)

Oh, and I'm leaving the website price for Driving Crazy at $9.99 plus shipping. You can even pick up both with discounted shipping costs.

Cheers!

Randy

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

I just received a wonderful review from professional comedian John Face, and I wanted to share it with you:

"Well I am not much of a reader. Last fall I purchased a book from author Randy Pearson and read a few chapters. Life got in my way until yesterday I picked up the book and started reading it again.

I can honestly tell you that I loved this book. Funny, well written and in just a few hours I was done. I connected with the characters. That alone tells me that it is a great read.

Five out of five stars Randy. Getting and keeping me to the end of your book is an accomplishment you can take pride in. Driving Crazy is a must read if you want a fun time mixed with excitement and tons of laughs.

Plus it's autographed by the author. That is cool."

I still have copies available on my website (that I will sign and personalize) for $9.99 plus shipping, and Amazon still has new and used copies as well.

Cheers!

Randy

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I recently received some potentially exciting news about Driving Crazy. A movie production studio based in Mid-Michigan (Friel Films) has contacted me about the possibility of making this funny road trip story into a movie! Nothing has been signed, and it sounds like they have a couple other movies in the queue so they won't become "serious" for another year or two, but just to have been contacted (twice actually - the last time just to let me know they are still interested) is quite thrilling!

Oh, and by the way, you can still pick up a signed copy of Driving Crazy from my website for only $9.99 plus shipping. Books (especially funny ones that might be the basis for a movie) make great gifts!

Cheers,

Smeg

• 6 months later...

Hi all! A few things have happened since I last posted. One is that my old publisher for Driving Crazy, Tate Publishing, went out of business after Xerox sued them for $1.7 Million and the Philippine government complained to the state department over bad work practices. Then the owner and CEO were arrested and charged with 12 counts of extortion, embezzlement, and racketeering. So ya know, a fun place to do business!

However, I got my book out of there, found a new publisher (who's a lot less racketeery) and Driving Crazy is again live, with a new cover and a much lower pricepoint.

If you'd like a copy of the eBook, it's only 99 cents until Sunday 6/25. The paperback is $13.99 for the new cover... or you can still pick up a copy of the old cover/publisher from my website for $9.99, signed, even.

Anyway, here's the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Driving-Crazy-Randy-D-Pearson-ebook/dp/B07196BD34

And here's what the new cover looks like - whatdya think?

post-1517-0-43542800-1498003830_thumb.png

Cheers,

Smeg

Oh yes, Tate is (was) a predatory company, bilking many authors out of thousands of dollars. I was warned about them before I signed with them (my current publisher was actually a client of theirs, so she knew just how bad they were). Their first spiel was something like $2,500 to publish me, and I said no. "You publish me for free or I don't sign." They came back with something like $1,500. "Um, no. Free or I walk." Funny how I was dealing with people from Oklahoma (William and Daniel), but when they realized they would not get any money from me, suddenly my rep was Victroni Cuesa from the Philippines, who barely spoke English.

I was able to use them to get my book in bookstores across the country, plus I was able to buy copies (that I'm still selling) for $4.20 each. So while I never received a penny from them in terms of royalties or commission, I more than made up for that by selling these copies for $10-20.

I have a few friends (authors I met after I signed with them) who are out many thousands of dollars in signup fees, as well as books and merchandise paid for but never received. Two of my friends have a book in limbo - they can't get them back from the company but won't ever be released through Tate. I feel awful for them. Though I'm not owed much, I do expect that the Attorney General of Oklahoma will eventually be in touch - maybe some sort of class action lawsuit.

I am definitely happy to be out of there with my book intact, and with a smaller publisher (Blue Deco) who I know personally. I've even been paid royalties for Tell Me a Story! Imagine that - we sell copies and I actually get some of the money! What a business model! ;)

My new book (Trac Brothers, which I hope to have out this summer or fall) will also be with Blue Deco.

Edited by Atari Smeghead