IGNORED

Game Room

Flojomojo

the next round of content for Microsoft's virtual arcade

Game Room has been delayed "until further notice."

http://kotaku.com/5526535/no-new-titles-for-game-room-until-further-notice

WTF!!! I really want to supprt Game Room. I wonder what the hold up is.

-rick

I often wonder what Atari is thinking. They pulled out of the itunes app store after releasing a few mediocre retro ports (hmm, sound familiar?) Maybe they're waiting for Nolan Bushnell to start over at Atari and kick their sorry butts for disgracing the grand old name. Or maybe sales have been as lousy as customer feedback and they're going to retool their pricing or business model. The feedback thus far from the community has been less than kind.

The difference in PR spin between the Euro and USA spokesman is interesting to me.

What a disappointing update. :sad:

Even more disappointing now they are never going to release it....

I really thought that this was going to be good... think about it... SNK's Vanguard Stern's Tazmania Bezerk and Frenzy. Sega's Jump Bug Irem corps Uni Wars and whoever made Mad Alien and Mars... oh yeah...

Oh Moycon I beat all the levels of Toot on the 2600. The problem was you did not get any more smart bombs after they were used up that was it...

They aren't? Wow the reception must have been absolutely dismal.

Like I've said before, I think they priced this all wrong. Do away with that "Play Anywhere" nonsense and sell game packs of like 5 games for 400 points and this would have been much more desirable to a lot of people I think.

EDIT : Actually I see now they did release the new game pack. 4 new arcade games, 7 new Atari 2600 games and 3 Intellivision games.

Does play anywhere mean I can play my games on any console? And the local only full copy purchase is just for your console?

I haven't gotten anything yet but I may buy Tutankham cause the game is always a rarity on compilations. Just confused on the pricing which sucks no matter which way your cut it.

This is crazy if you think about it. Paying that much money for a single Atari game just to play it on the Xbox live game room.

Without proper controllers and no physical purchase whatsoever. No cartridge, no box, no nothing. :thumbsdown:

Does play anywhere mean I can play my games on any console? And the local only full copy purchase is just for your console?

It's pretty crappy if you ask me. If you choose play anywhere you pay an extra $2 and I think you can play the game on your PC (BFD) and you can play the game in your friends arcade as well as your own. That's it.

For me, the price of the games is a turn-off. But what really holds me back from making any Game Room purchases is that its tied entirely to XboxLive, which means its online only and I really don't want to purchase online only games. I'd rather spend my money on arcade games like Pac-Man CE and Jet Pack Refueled and play them whenever I want, even if XboxLive or my cable is down. And if I want to play Intellivision games, I'll just slip Intellivision Lives into my 360.

Mendon

For me, the price of the games is a turn-off. But what really holds me back from making any Game Room purchases is that its tied entirely to XboxLive, which means its online only and I really don't want to purchase online only games. I'd rather spend my money on arcade games like Pac-Man CE and Jet Pack Refueled and play them whenever I want, even if XboxLive or my cable is down. And if I want to play Intellivision games, I'll just slip Intellivision Lives into my 360.

Mendon

Exactly.

Mame is currently out for the Wii and its a little glitchy but pretty good.

Atari emulation is perfect on the wii thanks to Raz0red's efforts. He made a great Colecovision emulator too.

You can also hook up an Atari joystick to the Wii to play these games. I just can't support the Gameroom at all with all these other options....

What a disappointing update. :sad:

I really thought that this was going to be good... think about it... SNK's Vanguard Stern's Tazmania Bezerk and Frenzy. Sega's Jump Bug Irem corps Uni Wars and whoever made Mad Alien and Mars... oh yeah...

Oh Moycon I beat all the levels of Toot on the 2600. The problem was you did not get any more smart bombs after they were used up that was it...

If Game Room is cancelled, there's been no public announcement of it anywhere. And I'm not aware of any of those games having been announced. I've never even seen any mentions of SNK, Irem, Sega, and whoever owns the Stern library as planning to support the service.

There were some layoffs at the studio (Doesn't necessarily impact this service) and the first round of regular updates was delayed 1 week, but that doesn't mean this thing is DOA.

For me, the price of the games is a turn-off. But what really holds me back from making any Game Room purchases is that its tied entirely to XboxLive, which means its online only and I really don't want to purchase online only games.

Didn't realize that. Now I'll certainly be barely buying anything on it. One of these days Xbox Live for the 360 will be going away just like it did last month for the original Xbox. I don't see buying any console titles (Bar a couple of my favorites including River Raid) and no arcade titles that have appeared elsewhere in compilations unless it's a real favorite of mine (Like Outrun if Sega ever releases it). Would hate to rack up several hundred dollars worth of purchases on this thing only to discover the day after Xbox Live is killed that all my purchases are useless.

Edited by Atariboy

Game pack 3 available...

And it blows other than pitfall gimme something good.

Im not droppin a penny for this pack.

and i bought pitfall, a great game.... but i should have saved my

money for river raid.... i want star wars and super pac man!

pitfall's not really made for friends challenges... but that's ok.

do all games have challenges? even adventure? if so that's weird.

-rick

If you want Super Pac-Man, get Namco Museum for the 360.

Probably doesn't cost much more used these days then the Game Room license would if it ever surfaces on the service. And you'd actually be able to own it along with a lot of other Namco classics and XBLA updates.

Edited by Atariboy

In an above post, I stated that you had to be connected to XboxLive to play Game Room games.... I was wrong.

For whatever reason, some weeks back, I couldn't load Game Room when my internet was down so I assumed that Game Room was tied to XboxLive. Well, last night, I lost my internet again (due to bad thunder dunder's) and while playing around with my 360 after the storms, I was able to access Game Room. When Game Room loaded, I received a message that 'Online options were unavailable as I was not connected to XboxLive".

I stand completely corrected and Game Room is available offline.

Mendon

For what it's worth, yeah, Game Room is most likely a shakedown of our wallets for games we already have (particularly the console stuff), but to its credit, you download the packs for free and you can try all the games first for about 10 minutes. I can easily figure out if I feel like paying for a game in that amount of time.

I do plan on getting Centipede, it plays well with the analogue stick and the ability to rewind mistakes makes it more enticing to go for the Fleas and Spiders.

I'd like to grab Megamania, as well. And maybe I will actually finish Pitfall! (damned Scorpions!)

If and when they release stuff that I'd like, that is not on compilations (Mr. DO!'s), I will definitely be interested.

For what it's worth, yeah, Game Room is most likely a shakedown of our wallets for games we already have (particularly the console stuff), but to its credit, you download the packs for free and you can try all the games first for about 10 minutes. I can easily figure out if I feel like paying for a game in that amount of time.

I do plan on getting Centipede, it plays well with the analogue stick and the ability to rewind mistakes makes it more enticing to go for the Fleas and Spiders.

I'd like to grab Megamania, as well. And maybe I will actually finish Pitfall! (damned Scorpions!)

If and when they release stuff that I'd like, that is not on compilations (Mr. DO!'s), I will definitely be interested.

Wait wait wait, hold the phone and back up the truck. There's a compilation with Mr. Do! games in it? Where? When? Me wanty.

They aren't? Wow the reception must have been absolutely dismal.

Like I've said before, I think they priced this all wrong. Do away with that "Play Anywhere" nonsense and sell game packs of like 5 games for 400 points and this would have been much more desirable to a lot of people I think.

EDIT : Actually I see now they did release the new game pack. 4 new arcade games, 7 new Atari 2600 games and 3 Intellivision games.

Not in the uk

Wait wait wait, hold the phone and back up the truck. There's a compilation with Mr. Do! games in it? Where? When? Me wanty.

Heh.

Think I oversold it Jess. I meant more as an example of where Game Room could shine later on. Providing arcade games that aren't on any compilations.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone notice on the preview TVs they show Haunted House and River Raid, also Intellivision Boxing?

I cant see that you can actually purchase any of them yet though.

One thing I notice when downloading Game Pack 004 was it said there was 5 new arcade games, but it looks like only 3 new ones are available to get now. Also 6 new Atari 2600 game, but only 3 available now. I also noticed some Activision game not previous mentioned in Game Pack 003 have been available for a bit now. Like Keystone Kapers and Oink! I guess they just kind of pop up eventually.