IGNORED

Game Room

Flojomojo

Somehow I managed to miss H.E.R.O. over the years and never owned the actual cart. I downloaded it on Game Room earlier this past week and it easily one of the better 2600 games from a technical viewpoint, and pretty darned fun too. How did I miss this one?

Somehow I managed to miss H.E.R.O. over the years and never owned the actual cart. I downloaded it on Game Room earlier this past week and it easily one of the better 2600 games from a technical viewpoint, and pretty darned fun too. How did I miss this one?

I bought HERO in 1984 or possibly 85' whenever it hit retail. Still have the original cart. At the time I thought it was technically far superior to any other 2600 game I played in those days besides maybe Pitfall 2. Better than Tunnel Runner and any those Ram cart games. I only remember seeing it on the retail shelf, didn't see it in a magazine (EG) until after I got it.

It's still great...as I keep mentioning over and over again. :P

It was a game I had back in the day as well, and like many Activision games really made your jaw drop at the quality of the game. I remember there was a way to "fry" this game that would give you like 255 lives. I'd almost always play the game in this way and as such could easily get to level 20 and beyond no prob. Non-frying, I think I could get to maybe level 15.

I jumped on the bus and downloaded Game Room along with Haunted House.

I like it so far, and I hope more games and systems hit the store. Zx Spectrum, Atari 8-bit and C64 games would be great to have, but most of the companies that made the great games that defined those systems are now gone sadly.

I played Haunted House at night in the dark with the B&W Tv Type for mood's sake. Sad I know.

The only thing sad about that is that you didn't do it sooner!

You get a free mascot (that will wander your arcade) for a game if you buy it the day the game is released. Needless to say I have the Haunted House mascot!!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like we've seen every one of these on XBOX 360 already, except for the arcade version of Quadrun. :roll:

In what form? I've never seen any of these on the Xbox 360 except for Gyruss (Arcade).

BTW: If I'm reading that list right, the Quadrun is the 2600 version.

• Like 1

July 14th Game Release details: (Atari 2600) Fishing Derby, Barnstorming, Quadrun (Arcade) Gyruss (Intellivision) Hover Force

Seems like we've seen every one of these on XBOX 360 already, except for the arcade version of Quadrun. :roll:

The XBLA version of Gyruss was seriously screwed up. The enhanced version was terrible, the classic version was poorly emulated and had bad sound (!). IMO Gyruss is a welcome addition to Game Room if they get it right.

• Like 1

I jumped on the bus and downloaded Game Room along with Haunted House.

I like it so far, and I hope more games and systems hit the store. Zx Spectrum, Atari 8-bit and C64 games would be great to have, but most of the companies that made the great games that defined those systems are now gone sadly.

I played Haunted House at night in the dark with the B&W Tv Type for mood's sake. Sad I know.

On occasion, I've flipped the switch to B&W because that is how I originally played my 2600 games back in the day on a nine inch B&W TV. Asteroids looks a little more authentic that way. In color, I feel like I am shooting balls of rainbow sherbet.

So many of these games have terribly botched controls (and not just the paddle games either). Major Havoc seems really, REALLY off to me. I don't even want to mention Warlords...

The control in all the games is off, but some aren't that bad and still playable. Video Pinball is unplayable. It sucks though, as most of the games in Atari Anthology are very playable and same with Activision Anthology as well. :|

I loved Activision Anthology, wasn't there supposed to be a sequel like 8 years ago? :P

I remember some really old discussions here at Atari Age about it...

The guy who used to work for the company left in a huff, calling it "Lack-A-Vision." That probably explains why there never was a sequel.

Personally, I prefer CrapDivision as my Activision-related insult of choice, but whatever!

I love Gyruss. Hope it comes out well!

I bought it and it seems pretty solid. Out of curiosity I downloaded the demo for the old XBLA Gyruss, it isn't as bad as I remember. Now that I'm getting accustomed to the Game Room format, I'll probably be "rebuying" a few games(Scramble and Time Pilot come to mind).

Missed Gyruss on day one. I would have loved the mascot. They need to post reminders of new game packs on the dash or something.

Anyway, the control feels a bit "soft" to me, but I got used to it after a couple games. I haven't played the arcade version in so long I can't even be sure!

I've just got a gold account, not done anything with it yet, and maybe game room might be fun. What's everyone playing right now? Oh, and is there any hope that the arcade selection will extend beyond Atari and Konami?

July 14th Game Release details: (Atari 2600) Fishing Derby, Barnstorming, Quadrun (Arcade) Gyruss (Intellivision) Hover Force

The XBLA version of Gyruss was seriously screwed up. The enhanced version was terrible, the classic version was poorly emulated and had bad sound (!). IMO Gyruss is a welcome addition to Game Room if they get it right.

Sorry, my bad -- we haven't seen the Activision collection on XBOX 360 yet (just PSone, PStwo, GBA, and Windows). Most of the Intellivision catalog is on the "Intellivision Lives" disc and download. I just can't muster up any excitement since this is such an ineptly presented slow drip.

I think the idea of Game Room is great. I don't enjoy paying that much for all the games, but it is what it is. I really think it would have been more fun if I had friends that were old school gamers. As I don't know anyone that really uses it much I don't use it much because the coolest part is the challenges, and no friends playing this means no one to challenge. That said I pretty much gave up on it. There are some really neat things going on there. I would most like it for more arcade games. They really need to get Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga... things like that in there. There are people that love the games they have, but there are far more casual gamers that would play it more if they had more main stream games in there. Just my 2 cents.