IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

On 3/24/2023 at 10:50 PM, Alfred said:

I see. I wonder why Carden jumped to v5, or were there other versions he produced? Anyway, I have produced a fully binary compatible version of the bbs resident kernel. Been testing it last couple of days, and I haven’t found any problems so far with the few modules I have tried. At some point I will make it available to any Pro sysops that are interested.

I have been running BBS Express Pro since 2.0 something. I also have a verssion 3.something, a 4.0c, 5.0something and 3 versions of 7.0x. there were added features each version. 4.0B_M added mux support. 

Ken

• Like 1

I suppose another good reason to setup a BBS of some sort is so you can communicate with family and close friends with some reasonable expectation of privacy. Every time I cobble together such as place like Nextdoor or Discord someone like Facebook comes along and buys it and then you can see the pseudo-privacy evaporates (if it was ever really there). You can't delete all of those posts are there - like the internet - forever. I've seen Facebook go back up to an entire YEAR to give me facebook "jail time" for saying something provably demonstrably true (said a YEAR AGO!), but out of favor with Facebooks Chinese censors. 

Edited by Ray Gillman
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry its late been working on the magic URL

It's time for your Atari BBS Community Zoom Chat Reminder!

http://www.ataribbs.com/zoomchat

Forevermore (and by that I mean as long as we do this or as long as I dont get hit by a bus) that will be the Zoom Chat Link.

Magic as in most of the time, it will give the info and agenda for the next meeting, and the date and recap of the last meeting.

But 15 minutes before meeting time until about 4 hours after the meeting start it will just redirect you to the meeting!

After that, it will reset to the next one!

(Well, I still have to automate the agendas and recaps)

Hope to see you there!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bf2k+ said:

Will this thing work with Atari 8 bits?

Well, since you already know the answer... :)  for the rest of the class...

Yeah, I've been using the previous version for years.  I ran TVAG on it, currently running the BBCS demo on one, have one connected to my 1200xl at all times for calling out.  You will need something like an 850 or P:R: Connection (or any other RS232 interface).  I have used a P:R:C for all of mine

In fact, it's all I use for all my machines (which is why I bought four of the newer version to start with).

For those who don't have an 850/P:R:C/R-Verter/Etc there is an SIO version that he's working on right now (no ETA yet).

Just a reminder for the Atari BBS community zoom chat for Friday, January 19th 2024 at 8pm Eastern.

For more information and the proposed agenda, go to http://www.ataribbs.com/zoomchat

This is also the link to the zoom meeting itself (it will automatically forward from 15 minutes before until four hours after the meeting starts).

Hope to see you there!

19 hours ago, Tillek said:

Just a reminder for the Atari BBS community zoom chat for Friday, January 19th 2024 at 8pm Eastern.

For more information and the proposed agenda, go to http://www.ataribbs.com/zoomchat

This is also the link to the zoom meeting itself (it will automatically forward from 15 minutes before until four hours after the meeting starts).

Hope to see you there!

Really looking forward to the special guest...!  :)

14 hours ago, Ray Gillman said:

WhAT IS WiModme232 Pro?

Just so that I don't over or under explain and give you the answer you're looking for.....

Are you looking for the "I didn't click the link" answer, or the "I clicked it, looked at it, but I still have questions" answer?

• Haha 2

I posted this in the FujiNet forum also but wanted to post a more specific post for BBS sysops/users:

Hey all. I notice there isn't a lot of traffic in the FujiNet Game Lobby. Was talking to @Amis and we were thinking about scheduling a "BBS SysOp Game night" or something similar.  We could get together in the FJ lobby, play some games, chat about BBS'ing or whatever..  

Thoughts?

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 10:11 AM, Tillek said:

Just so that I don't over or under explain and give you the answer you're looking for.....

Are you looking for the "I didn't click the link" answer, or the "I clicked it, looked at it, but I still have questions" answer?

Hah is there an option 3? I clicked the link and it was kind of a TLDR (too long didn't read) and it caused me to make that face that said I wish someone would one liner that this thing is. Looks like a 1998 PC serial port connector or something (giggling)

• Haha 1

Think of it as a modem emulator, that connects to your wifi so you can access telnet BBS's.  The pro version does a bit more and can be used as a wireless null modem with a second device (like if you wanted to use an old school printer) and has some other plus features.  To use on the Atari 8 bit you need an 850 or P:R: Connection or the equivalent.  I don't have the pro version so I can't speak to how well it or those special features work, but the old version works fantastic!

4 hours ago, Ray Gillman said:

Hah is there an option 3? I clicked the link and it was kind of a TLDR (too long didn't read) and it caused me to make that face that said I wish someone would one liner that this thing is. Looks like a 1998 PC serial port connector or something (giggling)

Totally fair.  I just didn't want to restate the obvious if you were looking for a more detailed answer.

As Atari8guy summed it up well, the shorter version is that it replaces the old phone line modem with one that works over a TCP connection.  It's what many of us use to call and run boards on both the 8-bit and the ST.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...